Looking for some quick advice on how to avoid getting sick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brian4244

Assistant Cook
So I decided to cook meatloaf, but i forgot to make any holes and set the temperature and time wrong because I was tired. I took it out and set aside several portions to put in the freezer and then tried tasting some afterwards. Turns out it didn't cook in the middle at all, tasted almost like raw meat. Anyways usually I would just throw it away and not worry about it, but I cooked 4 pounds and this is my food for the entire week.
So my question is can take it out of the freezer later and put some on a plate and instead of just nuking it in the microwave to warm it up, is it safe to actually to try and recook it there? and if I can how long should I nuke it for? I'm not object to it tasting bad I just want it to be safe to eat.

Sorry for the lengthy description, all responses are appreciated.

So I decided to cook meatloaf, but i forgot to make any holes and set the temperature and time wrong because I was tired. I took it out and set aside several portions to put in the freezer and then tried tasting some afterwards. Turns out it didn't cook in the middle at all, tasted almost like raw meat. Anyways usually I would just throw it away and not worry about it, but I cooked 4 pounds and this is my food for the entire week.
So my question is can take it out of the freezer later and put some on a plate and instead of just nuking it in the microwave to warm it up, is it safe to actually to try and recook it there? and if I can how long should I nuke it for? I'm not object to it tasting bad I just want it to be safe to eat.

Sorry for the lengthy description, all responses are appreciated.

Hi, Brian. Welcome to DC :)

We need some more information.

- What do you mean by making holes? I don't make holes in my meatloaf.
- At what temperature did you cook it and for how long?
- Was this one big 4-pound meatloaf, or several smaller ones? How many?
- How long was it out of the oven before you put it in the freezer?

If it wasn't cooked through and then sat out for a while, there's a high chance it could be contaminated. When you have a solid piece of meat, like a steak, any bacteria are on the surface and will be killed by cooking. However, when meat is ground, any bacteria will be distributed throughout the meat, so it must be cooked through in order to be safe.

I would probably throw it out. And buy a meat thermometer to make sure your food is cooked to the proper temperature. Hope this helps.

I agree with everything GG just said. However, providing it wasn't sitting around too long before you froze it it should be safe to recook it until it's done. If it's a four pound loaf, cut the loaf into four portions and bake it again using an instant read thermometer to make sure it's done. Every kitchen should have an instant read thermometer.
This is only my personal opinion but it's what I would do if it was the only food I had for a week.

I agree with everything GG just said. However, providing it wasn't sitting around too long before you froze it it should be safe to recook it until it's done. If it's a four pound loaf, cut the loaf into four portions and bake it again using an instant read thermometer to make sure it's done. Every kitchen should have an instant read thermometer.
This is only my personal opinion but it's what I would do if it was the only food I had for a week.

My suggestion also. That is a lot of food to go to waste. As long as it wasn't sitting out for hours and went into the freezer rather quickly, it should be safe to eat.

And welcome to DC. We are here for any help you may need. :angel:

I'd put it back in the oven and bake until done. Spoon a sauce or glaze on top so it doesn't dry out too much on the 2nd baking.

Back
Top Bottom