Looking for the best product to unclog kitchen sink.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Grease, and food particulates occasionally c;log my kitchen sink, though I try to scrape pans and remove grease before washing them. Anybody have a producgt that just works for them?

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

For drain maintenance, I use baking soda and vinegar. I pour some baking soda (2 or 3 tlbsps, I would guess) down the drain, then a small amount of vinegar, enough to make bubbles come up into the sink.. I wait until it quits making bubbly noises, then add another small amount of vinegar. Repeat until I don't hear any more of those bubbly noises. Then I give it a rinse with some really hot water. I usually do that twice. If it is still slow with the hot water flush, I might give it a third go.

For drain maintenance, I use baking soda and vinegar. I pour some baking soda (2 or 3 tlbsps, I would guess) down the drain, then a small amount of vinegar, enough to make bubbles come up into the sink.. I wait until it quits making bubbly noises, then add another small amount of vinegar. Repeat until I don't hear any more of those bubbly noises. Then I give it a rinse with some really hot water. I usually do that twice. If it is still slow with the hot water flush, I might give it a third go.

THIS!

If I can't clear a drain with my baking soda and vinegar method, I try using a plunger. If that doesn't work, I go with the scary chemicals - either Liquid Plumber or Liquid Draino. Just remember, to be careful and that once you have put that in the drain, you shouldn't use the plunger or that Kinetic Water Ram. In the past 25 or so years, I may have used the scary chemical method two or three times. I have never yet had to call a plumber to unclog the drain in a sink.

If the clog is within the trap under the sink you can insert a length of soft wire down the drain to break up the clog or use one of those plastic thingies they sell on Amazon, same method, insert thru drain and work the trap. Works every time..

If the clog is within the trap under the sink you can insert a length of soft wire down the drain to break up the clog or use one of those plastic thingies they sell on Amazon, same method, insert thru drain and work the trap. Works every time..

Agree.... We use one on all our drains..

Ross

Nothing better than to just remove the trap and pass a couple of wadded up paper towels through it.

I’ve done that many times but I still prefer inserting a plastic gizmo thru the drain which literally takes less than 15 seconds to do.
But once in a while a thorough cleaning of the trap by removing it helps keep the drain clear.

The issue with this method is that you're sending parts of the blockage further down the system that may lead to a future blockage at a much less accessable area.

Yes, there’s a potential for that, but the average person has no idea how to remove a trap. Even with how-to YouTube videos I bet most are not willing to go that route if there’s an immediate remedy that can be performed by anyone.

When the drain starts getting slow I put two large kettles of water on the stove to heat.

I squirt some DAWN dish soap in the drain, pour in the first kettle of boiling water and let it sit for 5-10 minutes to allow the grease in the trap to melt then I plunge the sink. I pour the second kettle of water in the sink and let it sit for another 5-10 minutes plunge again and run the tap for a few minutes to flush out the drain.

I've been told that this method could damage the seals on a garbage disposal but IMO it's not much different than draining a kettle of pasta in the sink.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom