lost another t.v. icon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We just heard on the news... saddness.
He was always my favorite character.

But..... he had the most AWFUL 'Scottish' accent I've ever heard. :cool:

I was told that when he went for the audition, Doohan (of Irish ancestry) went up for the part of an Irish engineer - but the producers thought he sounded more Scots, and so changed the character's nationality! Don't know if it's a true story,but it sounds about right for Hollywood, donchathink?:ROFLMAO:

In fact, there is only one 'person' with a worse Scottish accent and that's Groundkeeper Willie from The Simpsons :mrgreen:

ach!!!! so you have seen the simpsons, ishbel!
my favorite line from groundskeeper willie (to french students ):"bonjourrrrrrrrr, ya cheese eatin' surrrrender monkeys"...
or,
"now, the kilt was only for day-to-day wear. in battle, we donned a full-length gown covered in sequins, to blind them with our glamour"

you are also correct about the scottish engineer part. doohan tried on a scottish accent, however bad, and the producers loved it and wrote it into the script. it fit the goofy, campy profile part of the show.

i hope scotty was beamed up to a better place, where they have all the power they need..

tosscottie1.jpg

Even as hokey as it was at times, still one of my favorite shows.

I've got to admit that I loved the programme when it was first on UK TV (think it was about 1970). But, every time Mr Doohan opened his mouth.... i WINCED!!!

BuckyTom - my family LOVE the Simpsons - I can't say I've ever sat down to watch an episode, but it's often been on 'in the background'.

Matt Groening loves Scotland, and visits quite often (or so I've gathered by his entries in the guest books of certain posh restaurants that I've visited here!) - maybe that's why he has GW's character in the show? :mrgreen:

Beam me up.........

While the closest Doohan came to orbit was playing engineer Montgomery Scott on the earthbound set of the Starship Enterprise, his wife Wendy plans to send the actor's ashes into space, according to his agent.

The couple had long ago agreed his ashes would be launched into the final frontier, space, his agent told AFP.

They are to use Space Services Inc., a Texas-based company that rocketed the remains of "Star Trek" creator Gene Roddenberry and 1960s drug guru Timothy Leary into the firmament.

buckytom said:
ach!!!! so you have seen the simpsons, ishbel!
my favorite line from groundskeeper willie (to french students ):"bonjourrrrrrrrr, ya cheese eatin' surrrrender monkeys"...
or,
"now, the kilt was only for day-to-day wear. in battle, we donned a full-length gown covered in sequins, to blind them with our glamour"

You should meet my husband he recites whole episodes word for word, I had never watched it until I met him and now i find myself referring to them in class!!! The kids think its great.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom