Low Lights: What do u Scribble on Napkins?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Margi Cintrano

Washing Up
Good Afternoon,

Hope that everyone is having a wonderful weekend.

This question has come to me via, being a journalist and thus, having many times to write some notes on napkins in a restaurant, bistro, bar, trattoria, pizzeria, taqueria, tavern, tapas bar and / or caffé open air etcetra ...

Uncountable times, I make notes of the Wine for example, the brand, DOC, tasting notes etcetra, the dishes, the ambiance, the clientel ... literally writing a small column on the venue ... the Maître´s name, the waiter´s name or waitress ... the bartender or sommelier etcetra ... Always writing.
Perhaps even a note for D.C. too ... a recipe at times too.

Curious, do you take notes, and if you do, what are your subjects ?

Have nice wkend.
Margi Cintrano. ;)

My best ideas sometimes pop into my mind while quietly sipping coffee or having breakfast at a coffee shop. These ideas are non-literal, mostly design ideas of whatever project I'm involved at the time and drawn on napkins. And this may take several coffee shop sessions, using several dozen nakkins.
These napkin drawings generally turn out to be the best of ideas.
Recent examples of finished projects from napkin drawings include my brick pizza oven and my backyard observatory.
I love napkin drawings. :)

Road Fix,

Wow ... cool ... I too ... French artist Toulouse´s napkin drawings are in Museums.

It is part of my " creating " ... thanks alot for sharing.

Margi - Have lovely Memorial Wkend.

Programmers draw block diagrams, engineers draw circuit schematics, business people write down business plans, artists are sketching out works of art, chefs are copycatting your recipes.

margi, probably the greatest idea ever written down on a napkin was hedy lamarr's frequency hopping, aka fhss or spread spectrum.

she was married to an arms merchant when she was very young, and was present at many of his business meetings. the other engineers and business men at these meetings spoke openly in front of her, thinking she was just a dumb, beautiful woman.

little did they know she was a genius, and one day came up with the idea of frequency hopping in order to prevent radio guided torpodeos from being jammed, supposedly writing the initial idea on a cocktail napkin.

her ideas are still used to tbis day in a lot of electronic products.

oh, btw, as a journalist, where are you published or broadcast?

Last edited:
Other than the wrong #? lol j/k

Work, actually; & on a clipboard w/ a light. Used to sit in a screening room with my boss (prior to the movie being screened for the media), & note reel changeovers & select possible scenes for TV clips etc., in order to send the print (reels) to a film lab for clips to be panned & scanned etc. And, make sure the projectionist doesn't fall asleep. :ermm:

Greg: Thanks for your feedback - How True

:chef: ;) Buongiorno Greg,

Yes, how true.

As a journalist, if I like what I have eaten, I personally ask the Chef for the recipe, and publish it with photos of the Chef and his data. This is what I do as Food, Wine & Travel Editor for an Embassy Row Magazine which caters to Ambassadors, Diplomatic Community Members, Business Executives, Embassy and Consulate Civil Servants, Defense Nato Military Officers and the English speaking Expat Communities.

Thanks for the feedback ...

Ciao.
Margi.

Buongiorno Buckytom,

Hedy Lamar ... Wow ... Have not heard this name in ages ... She was quite a beautiful gal in her day ( 1940s). Thanks for the informative data on her. I had seen several films of her´s years ago ...

As I have told Greg, about the type of magazine I assist in producing for the last decade plus, I also Freelance for other magazines on the Iberian Peninsula:

1) Barcelona Metropolitan Magazine: Carme Ruscadella & Joan Roca Interviews in addition to many other Chefs of Catalan heritage
2) Costa Brava Resident Magazine: Joan Roca and Ferrán Adriá Interviews
3) My older daughter´s international travel website on Iberian Peninsula
4) I have a wordpress online travel site - 19 articles on Italia, Switzerland, Greece and Iberian Peninsula
5) Food and Wine Magazine - American Express Publishers - Manhattan
6) Expat Magazines in Italia, Mexico, Greece, The Iberian Peninsula and other countries of native Spanish and Portuguese language spoken
7) Discuss Cooking Forum: Mediterranean Recipes ( and Ethnic Cuisines predominately )
8) A French English Magazine for Embassy Row - L´ Arte D´ Vivre

In the USA prior to my relocation in 1996:

1) Bon Appétit Magazine - Italy, Spain and Mediterranean Special Editions
2) The Star Newspaper: Interviews on tv stars
3) The Florida Review Weekly: Restaurants & Chef Interviews and Fashion
4) Daytime TV Magazine: Interviews
5) Ocean Drive Magazine: South Miami Beach, Florida
6) In Grove Bilingual Magazine: Coconut Grove - Miami
7) Where Its At NYC Weekly Tourist Guide
8) Atlantic City Daily Newspaper: Restaurants
9) The Miami Herald Daily - Entertainment Section, Restaurants
10) Several magazines for The Expat Community of Mexico
11) Several magazines in Florida including the Boca Raton Magazine: Subjects: Interviews on Carolina Hererra, The Polo Matches in Palm Beach, Donna Karan, Hermès Silk Scarves, Numerous Restaurants, Chefs, Fashion and Travel Features
12) Numerous other publications in the countries and states I had lived in

Have lovely Memorial Wkend.
Ciao.
Margi. Cintrano.

Cerise,

Sitting in a screening room ... Fabulous !

It sounds like you have quite an interesting profession.

Have a lovely Memorial Day wkend.

Thanks for the feedback.

Ciao,
Margi.

Nothing. My dad was (and still is) a compulsive "notes on napkins" person. Drove me insane to find all these napkins all over the house when I had to clean house. My brother and I put all that we found a few years ago in a file folder--my dad has napkins with the oddest things on them. I carry a small notebook or use the memo feature on my cell phone--it's backlit and I can delete it later.

Last edited:
Buongiorno CWS,

I always have a small to medium sized notebook in my shoulder bag ... It is relatively empty or has email data or website data, or a book recommendation or some other trivia for job, for eg: phone numbers ...

Yet for some reason, I prefer napkins for my editorial art !

Do not ask me why ... Perhaps, because I am a Fan of French artist, Toulouse who drew cabaret ladies of the night on cocktail napkins !

I am doing this for years ...

Note: I do not do this at home, only for professional work at restaurants, cafés, bistros, bars and taverns ...

Have lovely day,
Ciao.
Margi.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom