Luxury Pie: NYC Restaurant Offers $1,000 Pizza

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kleenex

Master Chef
wcbstv.com - Luxury Pie: NYC Restaurant Offers $1,000 Pizza

The pizza will be added to the menu at "Nino's Bellisima," one of Selimaj's six restaurants in the city. Forget traditional cheese and pizza sauce, the record-priced pie will be topped with creme fraiche, chives, eight ounces of four different kinds of Petrossian caviar, four ounces of thinly sliced Maine lobster tail, salmon roe, and a little bit of spice with wasabi.

And unlike your typical pizza, this one won't be cooked, after all, that would spoil the fish. The 12-inch pie is sliced into four pieces, which comes to $250 per slice.

Screw Papa John's and Pizza Hut.....

If you're going to offer a food item for $1,000, why would you name it for another food item that sells for $10??

kleenex, I love ya and everything, but this ain't pizza and only wannabe hipsters with more money than brains are gonna shell out for this boondoggle.

:) Nope!Not a pizza and I probably would not want to try it even if its for free.Just another restuarant trying to get some attention and get into the news.
Great pizza is what it is, no more no less. And thats hard enough.Caviar on pizza? Come on!You should not mess with a classic unless you know what you are doing and then its a very minor change to make it more interesting.

You can't just take any kind of flat bread and toss some wierd crap on it and call it a pizza.

Why isn't it bruschetta? We could call it a caviar chip cookie.

I would still call this a pizza. A pizza without tomato sauce is called a "white pizza"

The creme fraiche serves as the sauce in this case for the pizza and then it has all the caviar, lobster tail, Salmon Roe, and Wasabi on it as the toppings.

You can think of this as a "white seafood pizza"

kleenex said:
I would still call this a pizza. A pizza without tomato sauce is called a "white pizza"
Part of the definition of "pizza" in Websters dictionary states that it is baked. Now I know that Websters is not the defining document that states what is and is not a pizza, but in my opinion this is too far from what a pizza really is to be called pizza.

I think this is as much a pizza as a chocotini is a martini.

GB said:
Part of the definition of "pizza" in Websters dictionary states that it is baked. Now I know that Websters is not the defining document that states what is and is not a pizza, but in my opinion this is too far from what a pizza really is to be called pizza.

I think this is as much a pizza as a chocotini is a martini.

Must be some pizza recipes out on the WWW where a pizza does not have to be baked or grilled????

Last edited:
kleenex said:
Must be some pizza recipes out on the WWW where a pizza does not have to be baked or grilled????
I am sure there are, but just because you call something a pizza does that really make it one? If I posted a recipe that took a bun (dough) and put cheese and meat and sauce on it and called it a pizza would it really be one or would it be a cheese burger?

I am certainly not the food naming police. But this 'pizza' seems to have more right to be called a pizza than does some concoction with Kahlua and Midori to bear the moniker of martini.

Reductio ad absurdum, I suppose one could call a piece of cheese on melba toast a pizza.

But someone probably will.

So many times I see cooking terms used in ways they never were traditionally intended. This is particularly true in dishes in tony restaurants when the chef apparently want to be considered creative and to impress the diners.

And so I present my just developed idea for Southern eggs Benedict.

Cornbread, topped with a slice of country ham, a poached egg, and sausage gravy.

Actually that sounds pretty good to me right now, but is it a Benedict? I would say no, but then again I would consider calling it such a misdemeanor compared to the many food naming felonies I see all the time.

My point, and I hate to be forced to have one, is that people are calling food items pretty much what they want to.

To me a pizza should be defined as a pie with sauce and cheese (and a bit of oil and maybe a few other ingredients, such as oregano) that is made within the confines of the five boroughs of New York City. And pineapple is not an acceptable ingredient.

People can make whatever they want to elsewhere, but to me it ain't no pizza, no how.

And a martini is a drink made with gin and vermouth, with an olive, or maybe two (I am a liberal on these matters).

Those who want a similar drink with vodka or a lemon twist, but insist upon calling the concoction a martini, should suffer a fine.

Those who would put any olio of liquers into a martini glass and call it that, should, well I am not sure what ought to happen to them.

Hester Prynn (the Nathaniel Hawthrorne character) earned having an 'A' branded on her forehead for adultery.

Maybe a simple 'M' on the forehead ......... nah, the Senate will never pass it.

I suppose I will just have to go kicking and screaming into the food nomenclature morass.

Buck up, Auntdot, you can do it.

Anyone got a real martini? I could use one right now.

Last edited:
Call it white pizza, cheeseburger or even caviar chip cookie!! Clearly, it is not worth paying $1,000 for it. It is just merely hype. With that money, one could easily make lots of wonderful traditional pizzas or visit some good pizza place many times over.

Awww, they just did it for the advertising and obviously that worked...we're even talking about it.

Look at Spago's menu ---> Smoked Salmon Pizza and the Proscuito something pizza. I remember when they were the talk of the internet.

Last edited:
boufa06 said:
Clearly, it is not worth paying $1,000 for it.
That is not true for everyone. I bet there are people who will buy it and think it was money well spent. If dropping 1k for lunch is something that does not hurt your pocketbook then why not? If someone from some poor country who only makes $300 a year saw someone here spend $100 at a restaurant they would probably be saying the same thing that we are saying about a pizza for 1k.

You can't just take any kind of flat bread and toss some wierd crap on it and call it a pizza.

Why isn't it bruschetta? We could call it a caviar chip cookie.

lol, i like your thinking. or how about a topped focaccia or flatbread?

(i'm sad that i can't karma sush for his witty response.)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom