Mac and Cheese

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not normally a fan of mac & cheese.

It's crazy the name of this recipe gives no clue of how fabulous it sounds when reading it. How can it go wrong with just the bacon and shrimp?

I was a bit hesitant the first time, but we've made it many, many times since.

I add a 1/2 tsp of dried mustard in my sauce. It give it a boost of flavor, I'm not sure what it is, but it helps the flavor. I imagine shrimp and bacon can only improve on mac and cheese.

I keep a box of large elbows on hand all the time. My supermarket every day puts the ends of the cold cuts and cheeses from the deli out for sale at a much reduced price. Whenever I come across a package of several different kinds of cheese, I grab it so fast, it is a blur. There could be smoked Gouda, American Sharp Cheddar, a few slices of pepper jack and any other type of cheese, all in one package. All for less than $4.00 for the whole package. It usually weighs between four and five pounds.

Crab dip has some cheese in it? Maybe not. Boy, that's good dip! It's orange colored looking. It's getting harder to find. Very yummy.

Last edited:
Crab dip has some cheese in it? Maybe not. Boy, that's good dip! It's orange colored looking. It's getting harder to find. Very yummy.

You sure that "orange" color isn't because they use krab? If its getting harder to find, you should make it yourself!

Ohhh but wait......isn't there some "rule" you can't combine sea food with cheese???

:chef::ermm::LOL::ohmy:

I think that's an Italian rule, and I thought it was all dairy? Anyway, Cajun/Creole do it all the time, think Mulate's crabmeat au gratin, that lovely, literally lick the sauce up off your plate crab and gnocchi dish we made a while back by John Besh, and with tasso in this dish, it qualifies as NOLA food for sure. And there's nothing like coquilles St. Jacques either from our French friends.

I know you were just joking around, but had to get in there with some other seafood/dairy dishes that are fantastic. DD and I both thought we'd died and gone to heaven when we first had the crab au gratin.

I Actually made this tonight and posted it on the dinner thread, so thought I'd put it here too.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/macaroni-and-cheese-my-way-recipe

You need 8oz of pasta for this (I used med. size shells) as Med suggested and the amount was perfect.
Keep in mind, this is not anybody's mama's mac & cheese. It's a delectable gourmet sensation unlike anything close to ordinary "mac & cheese". It takes some prep and concentration (even drinking wine) and I was thankful to have my darling Souschef to help. I questioned some of the directions, but it turned out they were spot on. The only thing I changed was subbing 1/2 cup of smoked gouda to the total amount of grated cheese.
It was beyond delectable!!
img_1500422_0_2f8f467aba06c5ee302666aec40a845c.jpg

Last edited:
Love Mac and Cheese, used to love the Velveeta one before they changed it, too chemical tasting now. I like a blend of smoked cheddar, grueyere and Havarti cheese. If you add cooked bacon, I'm a friend for life. Also partial to tuna in my Mac and Cheese.

I Actually made this tonight and posted it on the dinner thread, so thought I'd put it here too.

Macaroni and Cheese My Way Recipe | Food Network

You need 8oz of pasta for this (I used med. size shells) as Med suggested and the amount was perfect.
Keep in mind, this is not anybody's mama's mac & cheese. It's a delectable gourmet sensation unlike anything close to ordinary "mac & cheese". It takes some prep and concentration (even drinking wine) and I was thankful to have my darling Souschef to help. I questioned some of the directions, but it turned out they were spot on. The only thing I changed was subbing 1/2 cup of smoked gouda to the total amount of grated cheese.
It was beyond delectable!!
img_1500523_0_2f8f467aba06c5ee302666aec40a845c.jpg

This looks and sounds delicious! Thank you Kay for the pic, and Craig for posting the recipe. MUST make this! :yum:

I often make it with whatever cheeses I happen to have around. I've made it with cheddar, Swiss, Jack, Parmesan, and even with a few ounces of Philly that I had left from another dish. I also prefer using rotini pasta - those little macaroni screws just have so much surface area for the yummy cheese sauce to cling to. I like it with the breadcrumb topping, but sometimes I bake it in a hot oven just long enough to make the top golden and the edges a little crispy. :yum:

Dietary considerations mean that I only make it once or twice a year. If I let myself go without controls, I could easily weigh 500 pounds. :wacko:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom