MacBook questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
This is my first laptop so I have all kinds of truly stupid questions. Hope y'all don't mind and will be patient.

#1. When I am working on it, should I leave it plugged in if I can? Or should I let the battery run down a bit sometimes?

#2. Is it normal that my screen is darker when I'm working on battery power?

#3. Do I need to do a cookie clean out on this? How would I do that?

#4. Should I run a spyware removal on here? Is there one as a free download for a Mac?

#1. When I am working on it, should I leave it plugged in if I can? Or should I let the battery run down a bit sometimes?
Yes if you can leave it plugged in then do. Apple recommends recalibrating the battery every 2 months or so. This is more important when you leave it plugged in. To recalibrate, what you do is every 2 months let the battery run down until it goes to power save mode. then shut the computer down for 5 or 6 hours. After that you can plug it back in and use it as normal. These directions are from memory so you may want to do a search on apples site, but I think that is pretty close if no spot on.

Yes that is normal. It is a setting that you can change. I am not at my Macbook right now, so I can't tell you exactly where it is, but there is some energy savings setting or something under the settings icon where you can change that if you like.

I only do that if I have problems. I have not had a single problem with my Macbook so I have needed to do this. I am pretty sure this is in the settings icon as well though.

#4. Should I run a spyware removal on here? Is there one as a free download for a Mac?
No need. You own a Mac. you can relax :)

This is my first laptop so I have all kinds of truly stupid questions. Hope y'all don't mind and will be patient.

Congrats on the MacBook. Which one did you get?

You can leave it plugged in. No need to discharge the battery.

The screen is darker on battery to extend battery life. You should be able to change that in your settings menu so it's at full brightness all the time (or some other setting).

Don't know how to clean cookies on a Mac.

You shouldn't need spyware on the Mac.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom