Made buckets of passata today!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Linux

Washing Up
With 100 + tomato plants already heavy with ripe red tomatoes, I made classic tomato pulp using just extra-virgin olive oil, a handful of home grown garlic, and salt to taste. A great cauldron sat simmering away happily on my Lacanche. When it's cooled we shall pack it into click-clak boxes to freeze down. Stove's been hot all day, this being a blessing because typical pre-departure for holiday, the CH boiler broke down. :LOL:

Have you guys also got a glut of toms? If so, what are you making with them?

My tomato plants have done lousy this year. I think I have taken in about 10 cherry tomatoes and I have one roma on the vine that is close. My garden has been pathetic this year.

Your passata sounds great. I would like to dive into it headfirst and swim around in it ;)

My tomato plants have done lousy this year. I think I have taken in about 10 cherry tomatoes and I have one roma on the vine that is close. My garden has been pathetic this year.

Your passata sounds great. I would like to dive into it headfirst and swim around in it ;)

:LOL: But you'd come out reeking of garlic!

Last year we had potato blight that did for all our tomato crops. This year we grew Alicante, but fed them homemade liquid manure derived from a old pair of tights filled with mature compost. The tomatoes grew to the size of beef tomatoes! Astounding.

I've just roasted some hot peppers (Bankok variety from our garden) and added them to a gallon of tomato pulp. This will give terrific heat and flavour when the tomato mixture is added to any future oriental food, or Indian. Tomatoes are so versatile aren't they? :)

:LOL: But you'd come out reeking of garlic!
Who says i would come out? You would have to drag me out kicking and screaming.

I've just roasted some hot peppers (Bankok variety from our garden) and added them to a gallon of tomato pulp.
OK I guess I will not be diving into that batch.

Tomatoes are so versatile aren't they? :)
They are one of my favorites. And to think once it was thought that they were poisonous.

Who says i would come out? You would have to drag me out kicking and screaming.

OK I guess I will not be diving into that batch.

They are one of my favorites. And to think once it was thought that they were poisonous.

Heh, you'd have to be scrubbed down with a Brillo pad to rid the garlic pong off ya! As it resembles metallic shredded wheat, imagine the experience! :LOL:

Yes, funny how tomatoes were once thought to be poisonous.

The chilli I added to that gallon tastes really keen! Left to mind its own business in the freezer will help marry the flavours and round them off into something quite amazing for future Indian foodles.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom