Made himself at home, he did...a cat story

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay, that was a disaster:cry: for Maxi....I had to postpone the appointment till Saturday when Lou comes back. He tried to get her into the carrier to no avail. It was like trying to get toothpaste back into the tube, only with clawing and crying and some really nasty fart smell:ermm:. No, we'll just wait till he can hold her on his lap and then we'll do this.
I gotta tell you, it's not in my heart to make her miserable. I realize she's got to go, but not like this...not shoved into a carrier and manhandled like that. Either she drinks half a shot of bourbon or she get's carried by hand.

I need a nap.:sleep:

you could try Rescue Remedy for Pets, it helps calm the cat down.

http://www.thecatsite.com/Care/37/Beware-The-Dreaded-Cat-Carrier.html

I agree with Mama. There's no telling what other animals might be in the waiting room, as well as little kids running around. Mine don't like going into their carrier either, but once in there they are fine. Some cats will fuss the whole time they are in a carrier, but they aren't hurt. Also, cats are very forgiving. :cool:

:)Barbara

Thanks for the tips....I'll try the carrier again on Saturday...but I'm seriously going to need lots of cocktails when it's over.:huh:

I don't know what size carrier you bought VB but you may need to get a hard plastic one that is big enough for a small dog so that you can stand it on end with the opening facing toward the ceiling and drop her into it. Something like this:

Thanks for the tips....I'll try the carrier again on Saturday...but I'm seriously going to need lots of cocktails when it's over.:huh:
Aw, Vera, I laughed when I read about your aborted attempt to get to the vet. I've been there. Some cats are much better than others about it. But everyone is right - it's not safe to take a cat, especially a cat who isn't settled yet, anywhere without a carrier. Some people use pillowcases but I don't think that is a good idea, except for a very mellow cat.

When I was evacuating my mom after hurricane Ike, I had to crate her 9 cats and take them on a 4 hour drive. One of the cats is a cranky, old female named Fiesta. She was my brother's cat, who had died 3 months before the hurricane. She was never what you would call a friendly cat, and after my brother died, she became downright mean. Really. No one could touch this cat without being bitten and clawed badly. So I was more than a little leery of trying to get this cat into a carrier. I ended up wearing 2, elbow-length leather gloves designed for use when grilling. I just picked her up and quickly shoved her into the carrier. No blood was shed.

Here's the point to the story - Fiesta loves me now! I can't believe it! She actually follows me around and lets me pet her and will even get in my lap for a nap! So don't worry that Maxie will be forever angry with you. In fact, when you finally get her home and open the cage, she may view you as the wonderful human who released her from the carrier!

Back feet first, yep, me too, Mama. And I have to take the carrier out of the closet and put it in the living room 3 days before the appt., so Bud forgets about being afraid of it.

He RUNS into it when the vet is done with him, though.

Vera, I have experienced the trauma you went through - I ended up more shaken and exhausted than my cat. You'll make it!

Lee
i had a cat named kahlua for 15 years. he didn't mind getting into the carrier. getting him out was another story, he would spread all four legs out and brace himself on walls of carrier. and was he strong. usually the vet and i had to do it together. i pulled and he upended carrier. it always made me laugh. the dr. could then care for him, while he hung over my shoulder. boy i loved that cat.

You might take the top off the carrier, swaddle the cat in a towel and put it in from the top. You have to be quick about it. I learned this method of control from my vet.

You'll figure something out. Good luck.

I bought rescue remedy and was told to rub a little on my cats ears. Funny, all my cats have loved the carrier. I guess I have been lucky that way.

Did you use the Rescue Remedy for humans or for pets ? The one for humans contain alcohol, the pet one does not. ;)

Did you use the Rescue Remedy for humans or for pets ? The one for humans contain alcohol, the pet one does not. ;)

I was told to buy the human one for Patches when I was giving her subcutaneous fluids. It helped her relax while I was experiencing a learning curve. It worked well. The vet told me to rub a little on her ears, she didn't mind at all.

I was told to buy the human one for Patches when I was giving her subcutaneous fluids. It helped her relax while I was experiencing a learning curve. It worked well. The vet told me to rub a little on her ears, she didn't mind at all.
That's good to know. :) I put some of the pet one on my cats ears , tho I could put it in their water or rub it on their paws .

It was suggested to me when I first got Julia that I leave the carrier out and let her get acquainted with it in the house. It turned out she enjoyed playing "house" in it, so whenever I had to take it somewhere, she didn't argue and fight when I went to put her in it.

Later, I got one of those new rollabord carriers, and she liked that even more than the old one. I never left them out all the time, just long enough for her to not be intimidated by it.

OTOH, she was really manhandled by the first vet who ever saw her, and ended up hating the vet for life. Even tho the next and always vet was very kind and loving, they never could even weigh her without first sedating her! (And that first vet was recommended by "Friends of Animals!" -- some friend! :wacko: )

Cats and dogs will always match hug for hug that you give them and far more than you can give them.....that's why it's so painful to let go of them .....but for the most part....we have been fortunate in that we've never run into a vet who should not be in the practice...........all of them have been been caring....most are caring as well...could you be a vet?

Cats and dogs will always match hug for hug that you give them and far more than you can give them.....that's why it's so painful to let go of them .....but for the most part....we have been fortunate in that we've never run into a vet who should not be in the practice...........all of them have been been caring....most are caring as well...could you be a vet?

Oh, Debs. Our current vet is nothing short of an angel. When we had to put our dear Justin down, he cried along with us. He's brought on two younger vets and they are just as caring as he is. Woohoo! We're lucky.

Around here, some vets have mobile units and make house calls. Could you go that route? Be careful with your cat - a bite can land you in the hospital. My cat bit me once and I had to get stiches and then because cat bites are not a good thing, I got really sick from it and had to be hospitalized. An angry cat should NOT be messed with!

you're right, Toots.......my brother in law got cat-scratch fever from a swipe of a paw (actually I know deep down that he (outlaw...not cat) (deserved it) he traveled with us from College Station to San Antonio and traumatized our cat who decided not to like him.......smart cat.........:):):)

I could not be a vet anymore than I could be a nurse or a doctor.......what a job they have ..........glad there are so many great ones out there.......never saw a dog put down but went and held my best friend's hand.......the vet held her other........

Around here, some vets have mobile units and make house calls. Could you go that route? Be careful with your cat - a bite can land you in the hospital. My cat bit me once and I had to get stiches and then because cat bites are not a good thing, I got really sick from it and had to be hospitalized. An angry cat should NOT be messed with!
Oh yes, cat bites can be very nasty. They can carry a certain bacteria in their saliva that can cause a pasturella infection if it is a deep bite. I used to work in a veterinary emergency clinic and got bitten from time to time and I got an infection from a cat bite once, too. Of course, we knew to watch for any cat bite that turns red and swells very quickly, so I started antibiotics within hours and avoided hospitalization.

our first cat (Kiitty---I know original) who was vicious with strangers had in great big red letters in his vet records and several exclamation marks....WATCH OUT!!!!n There was a reason.........when my husband passed by him a la natural (without clothes) he reached out and swatted him and left his signature on his bodunkus.......

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom