Made himself at home, he did...a cat story

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That is one healthy-looking cat, Vera! Big, too!

All the strays that I feed look skinny and ragged.

You sure no one owns her? Or feeds her?

Lee

I'm so glad Maxi came home! What a beautiful baby! I have a particular fondness for tuxedo cats (of course, I love just about all cats!). My Amy and Ariel were tuxedo cats (sisters from the same litter).

:)Barbara

I just read all of the posts and must say that the picture sure looks like a Maxi to me. That is a sweet girl face that I am seeing.

About your question about if we have had any cats adopt us:

Wiskers & Big Stuff
My mom was feeding the neighbor's cat because she felt sorry for it. The neighbor's kids were so mean to the cat that it would hide out in our yard.

Mom ended up going to take care of my Grandma in New Mexico. When she left she asked me to make sure that Wiskers was fed. I did not live with my parents but stayed with Dad while Mom was gone. Mom said that the cat was a longhair grey so when I saw a longhair grey cat in the yard I would put out her food.

6 weeks later when Mom came home she asked about Wiskers. I told her that she was at the house everyday eating like a little pig. Mom went outside the next day and discovered that I was feeding a different grey cat.

Big Stuff ran into the house when Mom started back inside. She lived with my parents for about 10 years. She just moved in and refused to go outside.

Mom still felt sorry for wiskers so she still put food out for her. Dad (old softy) felt sorry for Wiskers too so he insisted that she be allowed into the house too. When the neighbor moved he told Mom that she might as well keep her becase she was at our house more than she was at theirs.

I haven't been on this thread in a couple of days.....you miss a day you miss alot. Vera, you have been busy. Did you take Maxie to the vet yet? Keep us posted, she is cute!

That is one healthy-looking cat, Vera! Big, too!

All the strays that I feed look skinny and ragged.

You sure no one owns her? Or feeds her?

Lee

Considering the way she eats when I do see her, and that I believe there is an infection in one of her eyes, I doubt anyone is taking care of her. I'll take her to the vet today to get a clean bill of health and whatever medication she needs for the eye.

I'm also a cat owner, very attached to mine, an ally cat who's a dead ringer for a Turkish Angora. I've been following this thread although I've written nothing.

I named my beautiful cat Savannah. She brings me hours of joy and is content with a bowl of food, fresh water and a clean litter box. She can teach us humans a lot.

VB you have been given a precious gift. I know you will cherish it.

I just read through the whole thread - I'm glad Maxie found her way back to you, Vera :) Our cat is a yellow tabby, the offspring of a feral cat. We brought her in when she was about 2 months old - now she's 13. I love cats, and dogs. We also have a black Lab.

About the other cats showing up all of a sudden, when the economy gets bad, sometimes people can't afford their pets anymore, and put them out, so that may be what happened.

Vet appointment today at 3:15. I'm going to be sick. I hate the idea of hurting her.

Yes, I don't like this part one bit.:(

Okay, that was a disaster:cry: for Maxi....I had to postpone the appointment till Saturday when Lou comes back. He tried to get her into the carrier to no avail. It was like trying to get toothpaste back into the tube, only with clawing and crying and some really nasty fart smell:ermm:. No, we'll just wait till he can hold her on his lap and then we'll do this.
I gotta tell you, it's not in my heart to make her miserable. I realize she's got to go, but not like this...not shoved into a carrier and manhandled like that. Either she drinks half a shot of bourbon or she get's carried by hand.

I need a nap.:sleep:

Oh, Vera. Some kitties just HATE the carrier no matter what one tries to do to get them in. Others could care less. One of my outside kitties, Tumble, just walks right in and sits down. Another one, inside, fights tooth-and-claw. Once you do get to the vet, ask them for pointers on how to get Maxi into the carrier. They've seen it all and will be able to offer assistance.

I have one cat that doesn't like the carrier also. I wouldn't recommend carrying her to the vet in your arms because if something frightens her (ie. a dog, another cat or just a strange noise) someone is going to get hurt and you may not be able to catch her. I have to turn the carrier on end, drop her into it butt first and close the door quickly...I know that may sound mean but it's for everyones own good.

it is hard to make a cat do something it doesn't want to do. however some things just have to be done. a trip to the vet is one of those things. you aren't being mean vera. it is for the cat well being.

Poor thing. Yes, don't rush her. She must be so confused right now. First thinking "hey, what a nice lady", to "what a meanie". I would let her get a little use to her surroundings first.

I have to turn the carrier on end, drop her into it butt first and close the door quickly....

Back feet first, yep, me too, Mama. And I have to take the carrier out of the closet and put it in the living room 3 days before the appt., so Bud forgets about being afraid of it.

He RUNS into it when the vet is done with him, though.

Vera, I have experienced the trauma you went through - I ended up more shaken and exhausted than my cat. You'll make it!

Lee

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom