Making popcorn in a pan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hyperpotato

Assistant Cook
Wasn't really sure what topic this fell under, so I put it here. I wanna make some popcorn. I typically put like 2 tbps of oil in a pan with 1/4 cup of popcorn. Put on the lid and shake the pan back and fourth, until popping slows.

This makes popcorn, but it's a bit chewy. Any one know a better way to make popcorn in a pan?

I don't think so. I just bought it. I know that dosen't mean it's fresh, but I have had this problem for years. I think it has to be in the way I'm popping it?

hey, I make KZ popcorn which is well.... krapistan.........get your oil hot ....drop in two kernels and when they pop add the rest of your popcorn,,,,,,,,you need to stay there and lift the lid off so the heat and steam dissipate.............then salt it as you pour the popcorn in the bowl

As expat says, make sure the oil is nice and hot and test it with a couple kernels. Make sure you shake the pan vigorously the entire time. That is how I made it for years before I got my current popcorn popper, and it always turned out great.

:)Barbara

Last edited:
Hmmm... that might explain why my corn to popped corn ratio is quite low, only about 90% pop. I always pop mine dry and add the butter after.
I think I`ll try the oil in it first and see how that goes, Thnx :)

nope, not kidding, I`v always done it that way.
however it could be worse, like doing them in a deep fat fryer :D

hyperpotato said:
This makes popcorn, but it's a bit chewy. Any one know a better way to make popcorn in a pan?

I use basically the same method...I have found if I raise the lid slightly several times while the corn is popping allowing steam/moisture to escape it comes out crispier..
I also use a cast iron pan with an aluminum lid..so I don't have a very good seal anyway...allowing even more steam/moisture to escape.

Hmmm... that might explain why my corn to popped corn ratio is quite low, only about 90% pop. I always pop mine dry and add the butter after.
I think I`ll try the oil in it first and see how that goes, Thnx :)
Make sure you use oil to pop it though, and then do the butter. I tried popping it in butter once, and it didn't turn out very well!

:)Barbara

When I owned my ice cream shop I popped a ton of popcorn all day long. If you want true "movie theater" popcorn do what they do: Use coconut oil (it comes in sticks like butter), then add 1 Tbsp. of Flavacol, it's an orange colored popcorn flavoring that gives popcorn that golden yellow color and that fantastic flavor. It is the most delicious popcorn I've ever had and my friends can't get enough. I finally told them where they could get the ingredients - Smart and Final or any other commericial food store.

Omigosh..."popcorn!" That's one of the food groups in our house. We've used everything from a little space ship-type electric popper, to an air popper, to Jiffy Pop, to any kind of pan on the stove.

However, we're now sold on something called a Whirley Pop pan. I tried to find an appropriate link, but couldn't. Regardless, it's the best thing we've ever found to pop corn.

What it amounts to is a big pan with a "whirly" stirrer in the bottom. We just add oil, let it heat up and add the corn and some salt and let 'er rip. Almost never have any unpopped kernels.

We always add salt to the oil because it seasons the corn so much better then adding it later.

Oh, darn, now I want popcorn and I just had dinner.:wacko:

Last edited:
Omigosh..."popcorn!" That's one of the food groups in our house. We've used everything from a little space ship-type electric popper, to an air popper, to Jiffy Pop, to any kind of pan on the stove.

However, we're now sold on something called a Whirly Pop pan. I tried to find an appropriate link, but couldn't. Regardless, it's the best thing we've ever found to pop corn.

What it amounts to is a big pan with a "whirly" stirrer in the bottom. We just add oil, let it heat up and add the corn and some salt and let 'er rip. Almost never have any unpopped kernels.

We always add salt to the oil because it seasons the corn so much better then adding it later.

Oh, darn, now I want popcorn and I just had dinner.:wacko:
Is this it ?
Whirley Pop Popcorn Popper

Yep, that's it and it's the best thing we've ever found to make popcorn. Been using it for years. No "old maids," easy to use and quick.

Bought it at our local ACE Hardware Store for under $20. They didn't have it in stock, but it was on the ACE master inventory. Our store ordered it and we got it. Glad we did!

Thank you all! I just made a batch following all of your good advice (let the steam vent, heated the oil before I added the popcorn, etc). It turned out perfect! Thanks again for teaching me how to make popcorn

you want to make great popcorn and not worry about the calories........use pure bacon grease.......my god that stuff is to die for............it makes the best popcorn ever........all the oldtimers here will agree with me.........won't you???

Yep, that's it and it's the best thing we've ever found to make popcorn. Been using it for years. No "old maids," easy to use and quick.

Bought it at our local ACE Hardware Store for under $20. They didn't have it in stock, but it was on the ACE master inventory. Our store ordered it and we got it. Glad we did!

I couldn't agree more. This great pan is the best thing I've ever used for making popcorn. Perfect popcorn every time. Ok, except for my commercial popcorn maker in my shop. LOL.

Back
Top Bottom