Making sparkling wine, the wrong way

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I wa washing dishes when I came upon a stainless thermos bottle, with a good seal. I shook it and found it had liquid in it. I knew I had washed it before and so DW must have made something and put it inside. Evidently, it got forgotten. I tried to open the cap and found it exceedingly tight. I knew DW didn't have the strength to tighten it like it was. So I grapped a towel to strengthen my grip and forced the issue. Firs, I heard a pop, like threads slipping. I turned it a bit more and the pressure inside blew my hand a good three inches from the bottle top. Foam gushed from the 3 inch opening four feet high and all over the kitchen floor. The aroma was of sparkling wine, but of what flavor I didn't know. I asked DW what was in the thermos. She said "raspberry herbal tea and honey.

Who knew that raspberry thermal tea, in an anaerobic environment could be coaxed to make an alcoholic beverage. Needless to say, the remaining sparkling liquid found its way down the kitchen sink drain. Oh well, the floor needed mopping anyway.:LOL:

Lesson learned, never leave DW on her own with a tight sealing thermos bottle.:ROFLMAO:

Nobody had better tell her that. It's our secret! Understand!:ninja:

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

:rolf:

I, too, have made inadvertent home brew on occasion.

Last edited:
Too funny!

My guess is that the honey was the culprit. I've seen honey begin fermenting in the jar before. Yeast no longer need oxygen once a colony is established.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom