Managing the heat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have my heaters on at the moment so it seems weird to think you guys are all so hot!
When we lived in the tropics in Darwin we had a/c and ceiling fans and we ate a lot of salads and BBQs. I lost weight up there cause it was too hot in the wet season to eat much and even in the dry it never got very cool. If its hot all the time I think you cope better than in places where you geta sudden heat wave.

I realised not so long ago of this rather ironic fact that the heat was much less of a problem when I was in San Antonio, Texas. There the weather remained so scorching for the majority of the year (it gets very hot around March and remains so until like November, then even during the winter months you can hang out in your shorts most of the time), in such climate air conditioning is an essential thing, therefore you would spend much of the day inside the air conditioned environment, you would only feel the effect of the heat when you walk out of the door and to your car, which you would turn on the A/C immediately as well. Having said that though, I must mention it was not a pretty experience looking at the electricity bill every month!

Here, we have air conditioning in our computer room and bed room, but not in the kitchen. Makes a good excuse to have a dinner of ice cream and watermelon though!!:)

I manage the heat of Las Vegas very well. I get out of town and spend the summer (May til October) in the northern lower peninsula of Michigan. I watch the Weather Channel and shake my head at those outrageous Vegas temperatures all summer long.

I have to say that I don't think I could handle living someplace where it was this hot all the time. Whew. Thankfully, things are cooling off a bit. I think I can safely say I am a cool weather girl. I'm most comfy in about mid 70's to mid 80's. Anything higher than that makes me cranky. LOL.

Thanks for sharing all your stories with me. I am always very interested in seeing how people manage in hotter climates than mine. I like the idea of prepping ahead when you know the heat wave is coming...unfortunately we were out of town when we heard it was coming so that wouldn't have helped me a bit. I will think of that for next time though.

Back
Top Bottom