Mean Moms!!! (or Dads)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shannon in KS

Cooking Links Contest Winner
Here's to all you MEAN MOMS!

Someday when my children are old enough to understand the logic that motivates a parent, I will tell them, as my Mean Mom told me:

I loved you enough . . to ask where you were going, with whom, and what time you would be home.

I loved you enough to be silent and let you discover that your new best friend was a creep.

I loved you enough to make you go pay for the bubble gum you had taken and tell the clerk, "I stole this yesterday and want to pay for it."

I loved you enough to stand over you for two hours while you cleaned your room, a job that should have taken 15 minutes.

I loved you enough to let you see anger, disappointment, and tears in my eyes. Children must learn that their parents aren't perfect.

I loved you enough to let you assume the responsibility for your actions even when the penalties were so harsh they almost broke my heart and I cried when you couldn't see me.

But most of all, I loved you enough . . . to say NO when I knew you would hate me for it. Those were the most difficult battles of all.

I'm glad I won them, because in the end you won, too.

And someday when your children are old enough to understand the logic that motivates parents, you will tell them.

Was your Mom mean? I know mine was. We had the meanest mother in the whole world!

While other kids ate candy for breakfast, we had to have cereal, eggs, and toast.

When others had a Pepsi and a Twinkie for lunch, we had to eat sandwiches. And you can guess our mother fixed us a dinner that was different from what other kids had, too.

Mother insisted on knowing where we were at all times. You'd think we were convicts in a prison.

She had to know who our friends were, and what we were doing with them.

She insisted that if we said we would be gone for an hour, we would be gone for an hour or less.

We were ashamed to admit it, but she had the nerve to break the Child Labor Laws by making us work. We had to wash the dishes, make the beds, learn to cook, vacuum the floor, do laundry, empty the trash and all sorts of cruel jobs. I think she would lie awake at night thinking of more things for us to do.

She always insisted on us telling the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

By the time we were teenagers, she could read our minds and had those eyes in the back of her head. Then, life was really tough!

Mother wouldn't let our friends just honk the horn when they drove up. They had to come up to the door so she could meet them.

While everyone else could date when they were 12 or 13, we had to wait until
we were 16 (it would have been 30 if she really had her way).

Because of our mother we missed out on lots of things other kids experienced.

None of us have ever been caught shoplifting, vandalizing other's property or ever arrested for any crime. It was all her fault.

Now that we have left home, we are all educated, honest adults. We are doing our best to be mean parents just like Mom was.

I think that is what's wrong with the world today. The world just might need more "mean" moms!!!

My Mom sent this to me, and asked how the Shannon Military Academy was doing? hahahaaha, my reply was... " I learned it from you!!!! Love you!!!!"

Fantastic Shannon, and oh so true...And I promise you, one day you will hear, Mom, because of you, I can take care of myself by myself if I have to, and because of you I've found someone to share my life with, who loves me for me and because of you the kids I thought I didn't ever want to have are now two beautiful little boys I'd die for, then you will get the biggest hug you've ever had and hear a softly whispered I love you in your ear..Then you know, being the meanest mom in the world is not so bad..:)
kadesma, thanks for sharing Shannon

kadesma said:
Fantastic Shannon, and oh so true...And I promise you, one day you will hear, Mom, because of you, I can take care of myself by myself if I have to, and because of you I've found someone to share my life with, who loves me for me and because of you the kids I thought I didn't ever want to have are now two beautiful little boys I'd die for, then you will get the biggest hug you've ever had and hear a softly whispered I love you in your ear..Then you know, being the meanest mom in the world is not so bad..:)
kadesma, thanks for sharing Shannon

tears of gratitude, kadesma! So true! I never though I would find myself a single mom (since 99), and I can take care of myself, by myself. I never could have done it without the strength my mother taught me. :)

shannon in KS said:
But most of all, I loved you enough . . . to say NO when I knew you would hate me for it. Those were the most difficult battles of all.

I'm glad I won them, because in the end you won, too.

I have never been a parent, but I had to do just this to someone who means so very much to me not long ago. The person was just heading for a wrong direction that would bring him to no good whatsoever. He thought it was a great idea at that time and I was certain that he would misinterpret my good intention if I were to intervene. But I just couldn't let him go on into that direction if I was going to put myself on his "evil list" forever. Finally I chose to risk ruining our relationship I treasure for his own sake.
But as it turned out I opened his eyes right there and then, and he thanked me, and we grew even closer. Now I saw these words and I can't agree more... it is so true. Thanks Shannon for sharing... and it came in just the right moment:)

I always hear how the other kids mom or dad let them do this or that, but, my kids NEVER get to do ANYTHING.
I just tell them, that's because, I love you and I care!!

Imho I believe that the world today needs many many more MEAN moms and dads. I was talking to my friend yesterday... she has a beautiful house filled with beautiful expensive breakable objects. One of her SIL's came up to her and said " don't worry... Katie's having a fit but.. she's only throwing pillows"!... Don't pillows break GLASS?? Can't parents control their children?? My friends husband asked his sister to make her daughter stop throwing things and SHE got mad and left the party!! Am I the only one that see's the WRONG of this??

UHHHHH NO!! The way my family is. The one that is throwing the party or whatever, would have gone in there and threatened to whoop their butt if they didn't stop. None of us would get mad either. Seems that the child got the attitude from her mother!!

i have no idea how i'm gonna handle my son. my parents never knew where i was or what i was up to, i was so good at covering my tracks. and the few times the i was busted, i talked my way out of it. i spun fantastic tales with just enough verifiable truth to create plausible deniability.:cool:

at least he won't be able to make something up, because i know you have to be a detective, and check every single lead, and detail.

(cue law and order music) da dummmm, da da dum dum duuummmmmm

I choke up at the drop of a hat, and your (1st) post was no exception, Shannon :angel:

While we might have called them every name under the sun and swore that one day we would be "different", I am thank-ful every day for the way that my mother raised me. She was (is) a truly shinning example of excellent parenthood, and if one day Tony and I are blessed with a family, I can only hope to be a fraction of as great a mom as she was.

My mom is MMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNN! We don't go over to friends houses to play, they have to come over here (Not saying I want to go over there). And what makes me gag is the kids next door drink 3-5 cans of coke a day!!!!!!!!! That just makes me gag! 1 coke is enough for me. We drink coke probably 1 or 2 x a month! 2 cokes in one day is enough to make throw up (it happened once)!

Cameron

urmaniac13 said:
I have never been a parent, but I had to do just this to someone who means so very much to me not long ago. The person was just heading for a wrong direction that would bring him to no good whatsoever. He thought it was a great idea at that time and I was certain that he would misinterpret my good intention if I were to intervene. But I just couldn't let him go on into that direction if I was going to put myself on his "evil list" forever. Finally I chose to risk ruining our relationship I treasure for his own sake.
But as it turned out I opened his eyes right there and then, and he thanked me, and we grew even closer. Now I saw these words and I can't agree more... it is so true. Thanks Shannon for sharing... and it came in just the right moment:)

Listen to your heart all the time, and listen even more.It always works at the end of the day. You don't have to be a mommy or daddy , you just have to love the one you are with.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom