Met an X-POTUS !!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Z

Head Chef
So here we were at our local honky tonk night club (described by some as a 'dive') on Friday night. We noticed a few men in suits and ties... very unusual, but we thought maybe there was a convention in town and these guys had just gotten out of their seminars. Then I looked over by the stairs and noticed an older gentleman who I identified immediately as former U.S. President Jimmy Carter!!:ohmy:!!

My lady and I were blown away and, taking care not to 'rush' him, hurried over to shake his hand and have a few words... telling him how much we admired him and thanking him for his on-going humanitarian work, etc, etc... He was very gracious and warm and said he appreciated our kind comments. He explained that he was here to support the campaign of his son, Jack Carter, who is running for Senator here in Nevada. After telling him again how great it was to meet him, we returned to our seats. Now... neither one of us is particularly prone to getting star-struck, but when we got back to our seats we were like little girls who had just met Ricky Martin (or whoever is popular now). It was almost overwhelming. As Jimmy continued to make his way around the club, he got to our seats and said, "It's nice to see you........again" (heh) as my girlfriend hugged him and he kissed her on the cheek. It was really weird because he was SO accessible. Lots of people just continued to dance and there was no mobbing or anything. He was in good spirits and was happy to get his picture taken with many of the patrons (what a horrible time not to have my camera :().

As Jimmy (we're on a first-name basis now) made his way around the dance floor, I noticed another familiar face... Jimmy's wife Roslyn. We shook her hand, too, as we commented on how nice it was to meet her. As Jimmy and Roslyn took the dance floor with a number of other 'regulars' at the club I noticed another familiar face standing right next to me... It was their daughter! (What was her name again?) AMY!!! As soon as it came to me, I extended my hand yet again. Amy was awesome. She chatted with us for about 45 minutes as her parents danced and interacted with people in the club. She told us that there were about 17 family members there (and, obviously, a number of support staff and secret service) and that they had been all over the state that day in groups of two or three and that they had decided to all come together in THIS club (I still don't know WHY) tonight. So she pointed out all the family members and their spouses, talked about her life in Atlanta, and just general chit-chat. Jimmy and Roslyn were there for about an hour (and it's not a huge club or anything) and Amy was there for about another hour.

It was an awesome night. We actually left the club early and completely satisfied... still couldn't believe what had just happened.

By the way... Jimmy and Roslyn dance the country two-step and waltz very well. I'm actually still a little overwhelmed by the whole experience.

Wow, and I thought it was cool when we saw Evander Holyfield at a restaurant. I would much rather have had a conversation with Jimmy Carter!

Several years back I saw Mike Tyson, in a shop, at the Caesars Palace Emporium, in Vegas. Just for fun, I went up to ask for an autograph. It wasn't fun and I didn't get his autograph.:glare:

Wow Z thats awesome. I caught him on the Paula Dean show one time and you could just tell he was a very sweet, gracious, welcoming gentleman that made everyone feel welcome. Roslyn looked very fragile in that episode and I was quite concerned with her health as it appeared she may have Parkinsons....I'm not sure though.

That is awesome Z!!!! What nice people to meet and what a great memory - I would say what a great Kodak moment but nooooooooooooo, you didn't have yours!!!!! :angel:

Back
Top Bottom