Moisturizer Question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mugsy27

Sous Chef
Its finaly getting cold here on the east coast, and for me that means 2 things:

1. dry skin
2. having to make that god awful trip to the store to buy some moisturizer, where I get the pleasure of having some 16 year old chick smirk at me from behind the register with that "not gettin any, so now your going to rub one out??" look on her face.

So if I have to go through that, I would like your opinions on what a good hand / face lotion is?? Can I get a lotion for both the hands and face?? Should I keep the separate?

What brands do you all find work well??

The boys and dh like the Vaseline Intesive care lotions. The one they use more of is in the blue and white bottle. I think it's protect and renew?

I have been using a vintamin E skin cream for a couple of years now & it works really good. I get it in an 8oz tub for $1 at Dollar General or Family Dollar(can't remember which right now). I use it from my face to my feet every night before I go to bed. It smells kinda like roses.

In the very cold weather, I find the only thing that moisturises my face and keeps the peeling to a minimum (I'm a martyr to central heating!) is Clinique's Moisture Surge - it's expensive, but it is the only thing that seems to work for me.

I also have a bottle of Clinique's moisture spritzer which I keep in my desk drawer and use two or three times a day.

thatks for the suggestions...keep em coming!!

im a guy btw...so i would prefer not to smell like roses!! hopefully some of these brands come unscented!

Mugs, I wouldn't pay any attention to a 16-year-old behind a counter.

Two of the best IMO, are Nivia and Cetaphil.

Mugsy
Clinique do the moisture surge in their Men's range - my husband buys it - it comes in a more 'manly' tube, rather than a tub!

I have really sensative skin, and it tends to be dry year round, especially in the winter. I've found that Aveno (w/oatmeal) is an awesome moisturizer. I use this on my face and body, especailly after I get out of the shower. On my face (right before I put on my make-up for the day) I use Oil of Olay for sensative skin.

I actually talked my husband into using unscented Oil of Olay with SPF - the "manly" ones have too much scent and don't seem to absorb into the skin as well. It really helped him! (BTW we call it "Oil of Delay".

Another thought - Cetaphil is doctor recommended, and Nivia has been around for years. Try using a different soap - many soaps will dry the skin - Dove is a good one, but read the labels and decide what is best for you. Do not scrub your skin and get into exfoliators. Pat your face and body dry after washing or a shower.

Don't sit out in the sun too long, and use a sunblock/sunscreen & an umbrella at the beach. Do not expose your skin to the sun for any lengthy amount of time. Wear long sleeves, if necessary.

I spent many years sunbathing and in tanning salons. I am lucky that my skin is as smooth as a baby's butt... but I have dry skin. Don't expect the problem to be solved at a cosmetic counter or concern yourself with a 'manly" tube. Skin care is important. Diet and vitamins may help. Another solution - try baby oil.

Last edited:
dermatologist

Recommends Oil of Olay products and Aveeno. Same as the others have said they like. I also like something called Eucerne cream. Put on like some kind of glue but it sure does protect against elements. Many doctors prefer it. Isn't used on the face. Is that what you were asking about. Then the first two are preferred for face.

I recommend the Clinique men's line also, and Weleda and Aveda products are very good! And hey, you can purchase them online if you do not want to deal with those wry women!

Last edited:
I'm big on the giant bottle of Avon's Care Deeply for my hands. We also use Glysomed for REALLY bad dry skin. Pretty much anything you get will work if you don't have sensitive skin. Just buy something unscented and use it on both hands and face.

Curel for dry skin Cortizone for eczema and posorias. You can find Curel it at Wal-Mart and Sam's.

Cameron

for my hands i swear by nothing else than petroleum jelly. that's it !
i put it on my hands at night and wear white socks on hands so as not to get the stuff on my sheets. i do like bath and body works lotions but i find regular old vaseline works much better for me.

Revlon makes a nice (and fairly cheap) moisture lotion for the face. Avon's Silikcon Glove works wonders for my DH's hands and it does not leave an oily feel he loves it!

I get moderate eczema. All of my moisutrizers are non-comedogenic. I use Aveeno, Cetaphil, and Eucerine. I also use bag balm for really dry patches. If you have a costco around, you can find a big double package of aveeno and cetaphil. I don't know if they have Eucerine, but they might.

Piccolina said:
I have really sensative skin, and it tends to be dry year round, especially in the winter. I've found that Aveno (w/oatmeal) is an awesome moisturizer. I use this on my face and body, especailly after I get out of the shower. On my face (right before I put on my make-up for the day) I use Oil of Olay for sensative skin.

For my hands, feet, arms, etc. I also use Aveeno daily moisturizing lotion. I live in a really dry climate (on the edge of the Great Basin Desert). This lotion really helps keep my skin soft. For my face I use St. Ives Oil-Free Moisturizer. It is oil and fragrance free. I like it because it light and doesn't feel greasy on my face.

Back
Top Bottom