"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2020, 05:07 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Momentous Moments in Your Memory

You know you have them. It's something that pops into your mind once a year on "THE" date. It's something that's jogged from your memory bank when you see or smell or hear a certain "something". It's something you bring up every once in a while just because you can. What events, people, places, or things do you reminisce about every now and then?

One of mine: We recently watched the old TV show "In Plain Sight". It's about the agents in a witness protection office and the people they protect. Made us wonder if the first neighbors we briefly had while in our first house were put into WitSec back in 1977. Short story: she was a file clerk in the FBI, he was a car salesman at a dealership with connections to the the Cleveland mafia. She was supposed to supply a list of names of FBI informants in exchange for money. The FBI swooped into our neighborhood to lay in wait for him after she was scooped up at work. Our phone was tapped (probably by a news media source), which prompted a visit from the FBI to my work location and also to our home. Fun times, fun times.

There's more to that story, but enough for now. What memory or memories pop up in your mind from time to time?

"Remember, all that matters in the end is getting the meal on the table." ~ Julia Child
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 06:21 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Every time I hear about Germany or German food, I think about meeting up with three of our former exchange students, and the parents of one of them, all from different parts of Germany, in Potsdam during our 25th anniversary trip to Europe in 2009. We spent the day touring the city and had lunch and dinner together. It was a great day

Old 03-24-2020, 06:51 PM   #3
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

So many things...found the folder on my computer with Shrek's songs...too fresh.

I remember the smell and taste of rotten barracuda from when I was 5 years old, it had been left on the air conditioner overnight by my Dad's CO when we lived on Guam. He wanted Mom to cook it, he sat and ate it. I had one bite. To this day I can still taste and smell it when I think about it. And if I see a nature show with barracuda...it really comes back.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:01 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Omigosh! Seriously?

Had a pretty rough childhood and won't go there.

First momentous moment was the birth of my firsh child, since I was told I could never have any children. After many ugly tests and some fertility drugs, my son was born. He'll be 50 soon.

Another was when I was devastated when my father died suddenly when I was 24. I was married and waaaaay far from him and my siblings.

Next one was, perhaps, when my ex-husband decided he needed to shoot me. TMI for this one.

I suppose the next, and worse one, was when Buck died suddenly in 2008 after 32 years of marriage. My bubble was burst and I barely knew how to continue.

Fastforward to 2015 when I was diagnosed with breast cancer. Oh, crap! Chemo and radiation and maintenance drugs and I'm still here and, as of last October, cancer free.

However, bieng the stubborn Irishwoman I am, I'm still here and holding my ground.

I NEVER give up!
Old 03-24-2020, 10:33 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I'll have to think about this one. Some of it is too personal and some is too painful. I suspect that this whole covid-19 episode is going to be one of them, if I survive it.