Moral situation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chile Chef

Sous Chef
Ok, 2 years ago I took a ride ont he city bus, It was in the summer months so I could get to work and back home, the bus bus smelt sweaty & smelt like pee, we couldn't roll the windows down the the ride was very bumpy, And the best part there was some considerable characters on the bus you wouldn't want to turn your back on.

Ever since that ride, I've voughed I would never to ride public transportation again, Unless it was a cab, But our town is only know for the city buses.

Now that I live in the city, I'm thinking very very hard if I want to try the bus ride again, but this time I will be bringing about $5,000 worth of camera bodies, lens, electric bike with me.

I'm wondering if I should look up taxies and see how much it would be for a 6 mile ride there and back?

Before taking all your valuables with you on a city bus, perhaps it would be wise to take a trial ride to your destination before you have to be there just to check out the situation. That will give you an idea of the condition of the bus, the route, the other passengers etc. before traveling with that expensive equipment. It will allow you to make a more informed decision based on what is actually available rather relying on past experience in a different place. You can also price out cab fare easily enough by phone and then you can make the best decision.

Before taking all your valuables with you on a city bus, perhaps it would be wise to take a trial ride to your destination before you have to be there just to check out the situation. That will give you an idea of the condition of the bus, the route, the other passengers etc. before traveling with that expensive equipment. It will allow you to make a more informed decision based on what is actually available rather relying on past experience in a different place. You can also price out cab fare easily enough by phone and then you can make the best decision.
Thanks Jabbur, I've done the price quote on the taxi's just now over the phone.

I was sticker shocked, for a 4-6mile ride they want 12 dollars with bike and camera gear. That's one way, Isn't that freaking ripp off?

I would just ride my bike, but I'm just re learning to ride my bike after 15 years.

I would add a rack and a set of panniers on the bike and commute by bike. If you're reasonably fit it shouldn't take you more than 30 minutes to get to your destination assuming it's a fairly flat commute (meaning no hills).

That's pretty standard charge, Derek, and in fact it's pretty low based on my experience. I take a cab to and from the Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) a couple if times per month. It's about 7 miles from my home, all on surface streets. It costs about $20 one way IF the traffic is good, over $30 in the heavy late afternoon traffic. Plus tip!

It's worth it to me because (1) it saves a lot of time -- 30 minutes or more each way -- compared to driving, parking, and taking a shuttle bus to and from the terminal, (2) parking in a secured lot is about $20 a day anyway, and (3) my clients end up paying. :)

I guess it is really hard to figure out with out knowing where you live, what you have been doing now for the ride etc.

i bus it often. very occassionaly, i'll see someone with a problem, but then i think, 'they don't meant to' (i.e.- talk to themselves, stuff like that.) & the busses here smell alright. not bleach-clean; average enough, though.

so i travel them freely, with my expensive knives, & fret not. although i keep my phone with me.

what city probably hugely weighs in.

I would add a rack and a set of panniers on the bike and commute by bike. If you're reasonably fit it shouldn't take you more than 30 minutes to get to your destination assuming it's a fairly flat commute (meaning no hills).
I'm planing on the panners, but it has a rack all ready, Here's my bike.
528711183_xYtWy-Ti.jpg

And it's 90+ pounds, It's not like a specialized where it's only 25 pounds.

That's pretty standard charge, Derek, and in fact it's pretty low based on my experience. I take a cab to and from the Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) a couple if times per month. It's about 7 miles from my home, all on surface streets. It costs about $20 one way IF the traffic is good, over $30 in the heavy late afternoon traffic. Plus tip!

It's worth it to me because (1) it saves a lot of time -- 30 minutes or more each way -- compared to driving, parking, and taking a shuttle bus to and from the terminal, (2) parking in a secured lot is about $20 a day anyway, and (3) my clients end up paying. :)
**** Scotch, That's lot of cab fair, Maybe I should become a cabby, LOL.

I guess it is really hard to figure out with out knowing where you live, what you have been doing now for the ride etc.
In a tourist trap, And it's tailaord for the bike crowed.

i bus it often. very occassionaly, i'll see someone with a problem, but then i think, 'they don't meant to' (i.e.- talk to themselves, stuff like that.) & the busses here smell alright. not bleach-clean; average enough, though.

so i travel them freely, with my expensive knives, & fret not. although i keep my phone with me.

what city probably hugely weighs in.
I don't even think they they understand what bleach is.

...**** Scotch, That's lot of cab fair, Maybe I should become a cabby, LOL....
I've been asking just about every business person I run into how things are going, from the guy who cuts my hair to my dentist. They all tell me that business is off big time, but the cabbies seem to have the worst problem of all. They tell me their fares are off 40 to 60 percent! And gas is going up again, too. So I -- that is my clients -- tip pretty well. :cool:

Tough way to make a living.

I happen to love public transportation, and simply have never been able to afford cabs on a regular basis. Given a choice, I walk. I live in a community that has almost no public transportation. Yes, I've had some bad experiences on public buses, to include having a bus almost hijacked (the bus driver kept his head and managed to pull over a cop who removed the thug in DC). On the other hand, I've had wonderful experiences. One of my favorites wasn't mine, but was my parents, who were in Hawaii for my wedding. They could have had use of the car, but husband and I were both working (and yes, I bussed to work), but Mom asked me if there was a city bus. Yes. This was in 1983, and you could ride all day for something like 50 cents. There was a sign above the driver that said something like "I am not a tour guide." Mom and Dad took the bus that went around the entire island (Oahu) and simply asked anyone sitting near them what they were seeing, and got off and on when it pleased them. Jerry and I got home that day and Mom & Dad were thrilled. They'd seen the island through the eyes of locals; nurses on their way to work, children on their way home from activities, night workers coming home after a night shift. Yes, you get a pissy smell on occaision. But I really like public transportation and use it whenever I hit a city that has it.

Interesting article in today's (5/25/09) Los Angeles Times regarding taxi cabs and how hard the drivers work to earn a profit:

CLICK ME

Back
Top Bottom