Most Important Cities in America

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No offense to New Yorkers, but I don't agree that NYC is the be all end all of great cities in the US and certainly not the most important. Washington DC is a city and I'd put that as most important. It's where our country is run.

As for the rest, I don't think there's a scale that can measure what is the most important.

St. Louis ~ original home of Budweiser
Lynchburg TN ~ original home of Jack Daniels
Pittsburgh ~ home of the Steelers
Daytona ~ home of NASCAR
Hollywood ~ home of Movies
New Orleans ~ home of Emeril and Jazz
Philadelphia ~ home of Freedom and the Liberty Bell
Pearl Harbor ~ home of the Arizona and all the lives lost that brought us into WWII
Indianapolis ~ home of the Brickyard

See, there's not just one city that is the most important. All cities have their importance. NYC is no more important than any one other city. JMO.

Any city in NY.Hmm, I think millions would disagree about NY. NY was where the terrorist decided to hit us and for it to hurt, and did just that. NY is the setting of hundreds of movies. NY is where the biggest and the best of New Years eve parties is. NY is where the Wall Street is. NY is NY.

...I still dislike Las Vegas, WAY too hot in the summer, environment looks like a moonscape. No wonder the area was used as a nuke testing ground. It's near the bottom of my list as a place to go.
Believe it or not, you actually DO get used to the heat... well, maybe not when it's 115-120 degrees but, honestly, it's not that hot very often. I would WAY rather have sunny and hot to cloudy, cold and damp (and buggy) any day.

I agree about your general view of the environment... but there are some really nice natural areas where you can enjoy the great outdoors including natural areas and man-made parks. Specifically, there is tremendous natural beauty very close to town at Red Rock Canyon and the Valley of Fire. Additionally, Mt Charleston/Kyle Canyon is a beautiful alpine escape only about a half hour from the center of town. You should go there some time.

Believe it or not, you actually DO get used to the heat... well, maybe not when it's 115-120 degrees but, honestly, it's not that hot very often. I would WAY rather have sunny and hot to cloudy, cold and damp (and buggy) any day.

I agree about your general view of the environment... but there are some really nice natural areas where you can enjoy the great outdoors including natural areas and man-made parks. Specifically, there is tremendous natural beauty very close to town at Red Rock Canyon and the Valley of Fire. Additionally, Mt Charleston/Kyle Canyon is a beautiful alpine escape only about a half hour from the center of town. You should go there some time.
I'll take 115 and dry over 99 and humid. Learned quickly humidity sucks.

Vegas is great and fun and different. It's like no place else in the world. Would love an explanation of "environment" because it really is a naturally beautiful place.

There is no way on the green earth that I can get used to the intense heat in the Vegas valley. That's why I spend May through September in Michigan as you all know. And I have to agree with Callisto that dry heat is better than humid heat but it's still HOT.

As for the environment, the mountains and desert can be truly beautiful depending on the position of the sun which changes the color of the enviroment constantly.

But that's a whole other story, which brings me to another pet peeve, what the heck is "nother"? That's not a word, "whole nother story" is weird.

...And I have to agree with Callisto that dry heat is better than humid heat but it's still HOT...
I prefer dry heat to humidity also. I have heard it said that you don't breathe the air in South Carolina, you drink it! Anyway, speaking of dry heat, I saw a cute T-shirt several years ago. It showed two skeletons on a motorcycle, and the caption said, "But it's a dry heat!"

:LOL:Barbara

I prefer dry heat to humidity also. I have heard it said that you don't breathe the air in South Carolina, you drink it! Anyway, speaking of dry heat, I saw a cute T-shirt several years ago. It showed two skeletons on a motorcycle, and the caption said, "But it's a dry heat!"

:LOL:Barbara

Spend a few days in the 115 degree desert heat and you'll believe as I do that the T shirt was an actual photograph. :ROFLMAO:

Spend a few days in the 115 degree desert heat and you'll believe as I do that the T shirt was an actual photograph. :ROFLMAO:
I don't doubt it! We were driving through Arizona years ago. We were in our air conditioned car. We noticed that it was kind of hazy and looked like it was cool outside, so we got out. And then we got right back in! It was 121 degrees! I think the haze was from a feed lot, which didn't exactly add anything positive to the adventure!

:)Barbara

For me, the problem was (both when I lived out west and in Florida) feeling like I needed to live in an environmentally controlled life. One Christmas (Florida) we actually air conditioned the house so that my neices and nephews could roast marshmallows in the fireplace. It was fun, but my husband and I were looking at each other and wondering, "what in the heck are we doing here". I wasn't happy with the ice we had last year, but overall I'm pleased with 4-seasons weather.

Back
Top Bottom