Mother-in-law, Angel Or Witch?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boufa06

Executive Chef
With Christmas just around the corner, visits by in-laws are as inevitable as snow in winter. For me, this year I am expected as usual to play host to mil. Unfortunately other commitments have made it very difficult to put up the usual Christmas decorations and prepare the usual fare. For sure it's not the old lady's fault but I would long for a quiet Christmas under the circumstances. However, it is hard to say no to your own family especially so when mil feels that visiting over the holidays is part and parcel of the Christmas spirit and tradition.

All this does not make mil quite a witch although she can be at times. She can be an angel too in more ways than one, e.g. by buying me a nice Christmas present without fail.

I am quite undecided as to whether she is an angel or a witch. Maybe Father Christmas will have the answer for me. But how about your mil?

On the advise of counsel, I'm going to decline to answer this question...:whistling

John

I don't think that it is nice to call her a Witch but I definitely would call her something nice.

I am an only child and lost my mom and dad many years ago. I have one cousin in Las Vegas so my friends are my family.

Be happy with who you have.

I could not be luckier with my MIL. She is one of the most caring and sweetest woman I have ever met.

Angel from day one. She's my biggest supporter and cheerleader. She's the mother I never had and wished for and I'm so lucky to have her. My birth mother could've cared less about/for me.

My MIL will be 93 the end of January and I know she won't be around forever, even though I wish she could. I've been blessed to have known her for 30 years, which is almost half of my life. I can't imagine life without her.

She's a wonderful role model and has had her share of bumps in life. Not the least of which was losing Buck's older brother (3 years older) to polio when Buck was only about 5. Then shortly after that, Buck contracted polio. I'd have been a basket case.

She and Buck's father ran a business together and weathered some serious challenges, but she always made it through.

Then, as she and her husband were at the threshold of retirement, Buck's father died. She's been alone since 1976. Lost a dear boyfriend suddenly of a heart attack in 1985. She's gone on and is one of the strongest ladies I have ever met. I've learned a lot from her and look forward to learning more. She's a pearl. No. A diamond.

Mine is a crazy WITCH. And I thought my first MIL was nuts, but MIL #2 is certifiable. She is a hoader and never throws ANYTHING away. I have never been inside her house, she won't let anyone in because she doesn't want to hear the gasps of horror when we see the crap she has stacked up everywhere. She expects my husband & I to host the Xmas party and every year she is always 2 hours late. She will call you twenty times to tell you she is on the way, but always alwasy terribly late. Then she stays until you are ready to put your jammies on and won't take a hint and leave at a decent hour.

She and I had it out earlier this year (when my husband donated one of his kidneys to her) and I haven't made an plans for having his side of the family to our house. I am hoping and quietly praying that they have the good sense not to bring it up this year. I would be very happy if Christmas passed with no visit from crazy Carole this year.

Thanks for starting this thread - feels good to vent!

Toots,

All you had to do was ask us not to come but now that I know you are still having a party, I'll be there ... maybe a little bit late.

And as for me being a hoarder, I'm leaving it all to you in my will.

Love,

Carole :LOL:

Half Baked said:
Toots,

All you had to do was ask us not to come but now that I know you are still having a party, I'll be there ... maybe a little bit late.

And as for me being a hoarder, I'm leaving it all to you in my will.

Love,

Carole :LOL:

This would be funny if it weren't true. Carole many times half-asks my husband to help her clean up her house so she can sell it. But every time he tries to throw ANYTHING away she has a major freak out fit. The last time she brought this up, I told him to tell her not to worry, we'll clean the house up when she is dead!:-p

All I can say is thank God the liquor store will be open on Xmas Day - I'll need it if I have to deal with her.

Get her to buy a new place (so she doesn't move in with you). Tell her y'all will take care of the moving. Send her on a cruise and toss all the crapola while she's in international water. :LOL:

She'll be delighted to come home to a new place that is junkless.

Toots, stock up big time - you don't ever want to run out.....

I am blessed that my MIL is an angel - she is so loving and caring and understanding. I am truly blessed.

This thread has jinxed me because my MIL JUST CALLED ME HERE AT WORK to talk about Xmas! I got off the phone quick and will now send the hubby an email to tell him he has to deal with her.......

My brother just got engaged. My SIL-to-be is shallow and stupid. Her presence makes me cringe. I'm going to have to be the good brother and make happy for the next several (months?).

From now on, I'm being proactive, though.

My wife's sister, whom I really like, and my brother are perfect for each other. I mean this in the sense that I could avoid two more sets of in laws if they got together. I'll be pushing for this for however long it takes.

Maybe the fact that I have not spoken to and refuse to deal with my MIL for about 15 years tells you how she is!!!!!! I'm lucky that the only son-in-law I have is a really good guy (especially to my daughter and the grandkids) and it is easy to be a good MIL to him. It makes me feel good when he calls me with a cooking question; did I tell y'all that he is a darn good cook too? LOL!!

vyapti said:
My brother just got engaged. My SIL-to-be is shallow and stupid. Her presence makes me cringe. I'm going to have to be the good brother and make happy for the next several (months?).

From now on, I'm being proactive, though.

My wife's sister, whom I really like, and my brother are perfect for each other. I mean this in the sense that I could avoid two more sets of in laws if they got together. I'll be pushing for this for however long it takes.

:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

I'm sorry to laugh, and I don't mean to make lightly of your problems, but your situations sounds like the setting for a great comedy series.

I suggest you have a glass of wine or a valium try to smile a lot.

In my case, I've had three sets of in-laws, most all of whom have been fine people. The MILS all had issues with me, but then, I married 3 men who were only children. (By the way, I am also an only child, so that cuts down on the in-laws a lot.)
But my second MIL and my own mother were real demons at times, and my mother, in particular, spoiled a lot of holidays.

my MIL is long gone, but......if your criteria for yours being an angel is that she buys you a nice Christmas present......I think you really know your own answer....ROFL

I was blessed with one of the nicest mil's. She was a very caring and generous lady. She had a very rough life but you never heard her complain. I thank God for her and I miss her very much.:heart:

Back
Top Bottom