Movie - Julie & Julia out on Aug 7th

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SnickersMom

Assistant Cook
I couldn't find where to post this, so I choose this one. Has anyone seen the trailer for the movie. It looks really good! With Meryl Streep, it probably won't.

Have my calendar marked for this movie.

Anyone else excited about the movie too?

I think this movie looks really good. I grew up watching Julia Child with my Nana and am happy that a movie has been made about her. I hope that it ends up being a tribute and doesn't try to go too much into the side story but maybe it will end up positively surprising me.

"With Meryl Streep, it probably won't." ?????????????????
I've seen the trailers, and I think she does a great job! I have her book, plan to read it this week, then on to the other book, Julie/Julia one, then the movie. I loved watching Julia Child when young, and savor the reruns on PBS. I checked out a few of her videos at the library years ago, how to cook different cuts and types of meat and poultry.

I just re-read my post, misuse of pronouns....
I have "Julia's" book...

I can't wait for the movie to come out. She is really a part of todays culinary revival, but she started it decades ago. I actually wrote a letter or two to her and she responded with an awesome letter.

"With Meryl Streep, it probably won't." ?????????????????
I've seen the trailers, and I think she does a great job! I have her book, plan to read it this week, then on to the other book, Julie/Julia one, then the movie. I loved watching Julia Child when young, and savor the reruns on PBS. I checked out a few of her videos at the library years ago, how to cook different cuts and types of meat and poultry.

Sorry, had computer issues that day and it went down while I was typing. Got super busy and forgot ot go back and add what I originally was going to type which was "with Meryl Streep, it probably won't fail because of her amazing acting skills."

Saw her on the tv show "The View" on a day while she was filming Julie & Julia and she said she had gained weight while filming with all of the good rich food she was eating for the movie.

Counting the days til I get to see it.

Has anyone cooked any Julia recipes? I would be interested to hear what you think. Trying to decide if I should buy her book.

Went to see it yesterday first showing, but the film burned up half-way through... :mad:

We got refunds and rain checks, so we're giving it another go in a couple hours.

From what we saw yesterday it was great fun.

loved the film, excellent!

Snickersmom, yes I have cooked lots of her recipes. She walks you through step by step. Excellent. Mastering the Art of French Cooking is tops as is The Way to Cook.

Julie & Julia Review...

I posted this on my Facebook page. I thought you might enjoy it.

As a dedicated, proud foodie who watched The Fench Chef, Julia and Company, Julia and MORE Company, Julia Child's Kitchen, Baking with Julia and just about every other media vehicle she's ever created - I am for this movie, what I'd like to call "an educated audience."

J/J is the very intricate combining of two true stories. The stories of the culinary legend as played by Meryl Streep and the young blogger (Amy Adams) "tag team" throughout the movie to demonstrate how cooking and food changed both of their lives. I had heard rumors of the Julie Powell portion of the story "bogging down" or "cluttering" the Julia Child portion - but this only happens if the viewer is seeking "The Life Story of Julia Child" which this movie is not; so don't go expecting that.

If you want to witness the affect Julia Child had on one particular young woman who felt she was floundering and seeking her own personal power - You will be absolutely delighted. If you seek a full-on Julia Child biography, you will experience Julia Interruptus.

The movie ends as Mastering The Art of French Cooking is first published by Knopf and Julia is absolutely ecstatic. The Julie Powell story line ends as Powell completes her final dish from Mastering, the media discovers her blog and the book offers begin, via more than 60 messages left on her answering machine.

I went into the theatre armed with the knowledge that this was NOT a "Julia Child" movie - and I'm glad I did. I thoroughly enjoyed Julie & Julia at face value. I would, however, love to see a spinoff/sequel of the continuation of the Julia Child portion of the movie. We never got to appreciate how Paul supported Julia's career once his OSS/CIA position ended. He made her rolling pins, he designed her kitchen with high countertops to accommodate her towering height. He worked tirelessly on several of her PBS series and he was always her biggest cheerleader.

J/J demonstrated how Julia Child became the icon whose memory we love and treasure. The Powell portion of the movie was uplifting because as she became more accomplished in the kitchen, you can't help but be proud of her. Frankly, I could kick myself for not coming up with the idea of blogging my way through a difficult cookbook but I applaud her for having the imagination to give birth to the idea. Aside from a few extra inches around the waistline, it looked like a fun project.

If you're a foodie, go see the movie. As long as you approach it with the understanding that it's not a Julia Child biography, you should leave the theatre with a sense of satisfaction that a person like Julia lived, proud of your own accomplishments at cutting board and stove - and a distinct craving for French food. <3

Went to see Julie & Julia on Friday night with two kids I work with (18 and 19 of years). Loved the movie. Went out Saturday morning and bought "The Cookbook" and love what I've read - through the table of contents. Put it aside and am going to finish her memoir first.

Needless to say became a Julia fan overnight.

I couldn't find where to post this, so I choose this one. Has anyone seen the trailer for the movie. It looks really good! With Meryl Streep, it probably won't.

Have my calendar marked for this movie.

Anyone else excited about the movie too?

By now you should have seen J&J Really enjoyed it. Besides cooking it has encouraged me to get on with my blogging and to stick to it.

Question for those: How many cooking mistakes did you observe? Not sure the continuity editors were chefs.

Hubby took me to see it Sunday afternoon. Cute movie. I'd like to have her cookbook, but I have about a million others to finish first...

Question for those: How many cooking mistakes did you observe? Not sure the continuity editors were chefs.[/quote]

How intriguing....what mistakes? I'll have to watch it again. I was so into the story line that I missed it all.

Question for those: How many cooking mistakes did you observe? Not sure the continuity editors were chefs.

How intriguing....what mistakes? I'll have to watch it again. I was so into the story line that I missed it all.[/quote]

Have to admit I missed them as well. A chef friend pointed out to me there were a few gaffs -- some that were quite obvious. That's why I asked to see if there are more observant people than me.

The other question would be "what products were displayed" which is the new mode for advertising. Le Cresuet was the most obvious (wonder what they paid for this) but who were the others?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom