My dinner was supposed to be.....and now it is.... because.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jikoni

Sous Chef
I just wondered after tonight, I had already defrosted the trouts(all four of them), then DH sends me an sms saying he had a big late lunch meeting and will only have a sandwich for dinner. So my dinner was supposed to be grilled trout with parsley, mashed potatoes and veggies and tartar sauce, then I had to change to was fillet of perch and oven chips for the kids then a sandwich for me later I am not mad, just wondering if this could make a thread that will keep going. Does it happen to you?

I was planning to make pork chops marsala last night.

We had an appointment with a contractor to give us an estimate for some remodeling. He arrived late and stayed for 2 1/2 hours. Too late to start cooking so I had soup and my SO had a sandwich.

The chops will be done tonight.

What a Great Topic! (should be made Sticky I reckon) that kinda thing happens to me Sooooo often it aint funny!

but I think it`s a sign of a Good cook, the ability to adapt at a moments notice and Still serve up good food regardless.

happily 2nights food is right on track, but I have contingency plans always, and if something odd happened, No Sweat! ;)

What he said ^^^ LOL.
Tonight was supposed to be Calico Beans and Cowboy Stew but the Calico Beans turned out to be meal enough for all of us with leftovers.
I think the challenge of a sudden last minute change is kinda fun and forces creativity and ingenuity.

Gosh happens all the time. Maybe we just don't feel like cooking, either in general or what we had planned. Or something comes up that forces a change in plans. Or had to work late and came home and the last thing I wanted was to keep on my feet for another hour or two preparing some food - just forage and relax or go straight to bed.

Sometimes we have the ingredients but decide to go in a different direction than that planned.

Since there is only the two of us it is easy to adapt.

:) Happens all the time here also. Most of what I make can be held over until the next day. Usually I'm the one that doe's not feel like eating dinner since I ate enough lunch but I will have a salad or some fruit and eat dinner for lunch the next day. You would think I would be skinny but not so but I'm sure it keeps me from gaining more pounds. Iv'e gotten to a point I eat just when I'm hungry and it's not a the normal times most people eat. Lunch is usually around 2:00 PM so usually Dinner is not as attractive.

Nope. That never happens to me. I don't fish anymore and can't remember the last time I had trout or perch in the fridge. Those fish are so common here I just will not buy them because of that.
Don't understand why you just didn't grill the trout anyway.... If substituting perch for trout was a changeup.. I am jealous! Are you kidding me?! The trout was a no go so you cooked perch instead?! Did I say I am jealous ;)

But I always change things up, and I'm single. I will take out one thing and decide i want something else and there's nobody here to stop me :LOL:

Nope. That never happens to me. I don't fish anymore and can't remember the last time I had trout or perch in the fridge. Those fish are so common here I just will not buy them because of that.
Don't understand why you just didn't grill the trout anyway.... If substituting perch for trout was a changeup.. I am jealous! Are you kidding me?! The trout was a no go so you cooked perch instead?! Did I say I am jealous ;)

But I always change things up, and I'm single. I will take out one thing and decide i want something else and there's nobody here to stop me :LOL:

So that would be kinda like buying earth worms at a bait shop instead of taking the time to dig em up in your back yard?:LOL:

Sometimes I will start supper and realize that I am missing an ingredient, so I will change it.

Thank goodness ground beef is so versatile. I remember one time I started cooking it, planning to have one meal. Part of the way through cooking it, I realized I didn't want what I had planned, so I changed it to something else. Another time I wasn't sure if I wanted spaghetti or hamburger stroganoff. The ground beef was already cooking, and I still couldn't make up my mind. I knew that if I asked James which one he wanted, he would say that either one would be fine. So what I said was, "Choose red or white." :cool:

:)Barbara

I'm a bit like Pacanis as I live alone but I do change my mind AFTER I have bought something that won't keep/freeze or defrosted something and then I end up either losing it cos I can't be bothered cooking two meals or eating something I no longer fancy. I try not to plan too much cos of my whimsy attitude. Pretty much the only other times are when I have my mum over and she stays longer than intended or ends up here for the night at short notice which can throw spanners into works, esp if we have gone out to eat for lunch. But such is life!!!

A bit like Barbara - plan something "knowing I have all the ingridients":LOL::ermm:
then, when it is too late to shop, find that I don't have at least one key ingredient. The other one is when I of the boys decides to get all silly and I can't be bothered to fight it.

So that would be kinda like buying earth worms at a bait shop instead of taking the time to dig em up in your back yard?:LOL:

Don't know. I haven't priced worms lately :ermm: ;)
I do see the price on Lake Erie perch when I'm shopping. I can't believe how much cheaper it is for me to buy orange roughy from NZ than something caught 3 miles down the road (figuratively speaking). And the trout look funny... just not like the ones I used to catch. So I never have either on hand anymore to choose from. Seeing both mentioned in the same post brought back nice memories of eating fish a few times a week.

I tend to plan a decent full meal every day (most days) until DH calls and says he wont be home til 7 or 8. Then I give the kids a PB&J or mac n cheese so I dont waste time cooking for people that just whine about dinner..... like last nights chicken. That turned into scrambled eggs for them and a martini for me. :)
Have to make chicken now tonight either way. If he'll be here it'll be a meal, if not it'll get cooked and frozen for a rainy day.

When we lived in Pensacola Florida for two years Paul drove me crazy...I could never cook dinner for him because he had a very large lunch. He was in charge of the Chow Hall at the hospital because by the time we arrived there after he came home from Vietnam...they did away with his job (pest control) so they gave him the choice of Chief Master at Arms at the Hospital. since he just got back from the War Zone with the Marines as their corpsman he said "H888 No!!' so they put him in charge of the galley..it really need a make over so he had 42 people in the kitchen to oversea and his own crew of "miss fits" to take care of. back to the dinner..or no dinner. The head cook fed him so well around 2:00 pm that when he arrived home at 4:30 he wasn't hungry...:mad:
John and I just made do since he bought lunch at school unless it was Paul's bowling night then we would have a wonderful steak dinner, John would go to the base movie and I would play Bingo..Paul would bowl on the Medical team. Then he retired and I was re-introduced to the kitchen.:)

Last edited:
John and I just made do since he bought lunch at school unless it was Paul's bowling night then we would have a wonderful steak dinner, John would go to the base movie and I would play Bingo..Paul would bowl on the Medical team. Then he retired and I was re-introduced to the kitchen.

ROFLMAO .. OH WHAT AN IMAGE!!!!!!!

Kitchen, this is Dove.

Dove, this is Kitchen.

Shake hands and come out fighting!!! LoL

Ok, ok, you had to have been here. LOL

I was supposed to cook pork chops tonight(pork chops, buttered veggies, mashed potatoes and gravy) but I passed by this Thai shop to buy some green tea the lady there prepares meals for take away, one look at the 'plat de jour' and pork chops didn't sound that interesting, so I bought some food from her.

Ours wasn't so much dinner as it was a dessert for a party we were having. My dh was making meringue "bones" for Halloween and they all burned. Seems our oven doesn't like to play nice. So every recipe we have we cut the cooking time in 1/2 for baking and double for cooking/roasting. It's absolutely hysterical...so now we know what to do and we are fine..... Oh...back to the bones...they became cremated skeletons that only I (the picky one) ate.

i regularly post twice on the "tonight's dinner" thread because all of my best laid plans are really at the whim of my wife when i get home. sometimes, i have a hankerin' to make something, but if it isn't something dw will eat or i don't tell her in advance, she'll often have plans of her own. and then it annoys her if i don't eat what she makes. fortunately, my excellent tutelage :cool: has turned her into an increasingly good cook.

Beef stew, but now it`s Pizza (coz it`s Saturday!) and stew`s always best next day anyway.

See, Told ya it happened here regularly :D

Back
Top Bottom