My favorite local market is Italian - what's yours?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkath

Hospitality Queen
Today I went to my favorite little italian market for genoa salami, capocolla, a few other meats and good cheeses, 5 lbs of sausage (theirs is fantastic!), breadsticks, olive oil, cookies and pasteries. Here they are:

http://www.claros.com/

My stomach growls when I even read their recipes!

So, tell us about your favorite local market, and share their site.

The polish market - they have some of the BEST sausage! And the guys behind the counter speak better polish than english...

That tub with the pickled herring is scary though!

John

I really like the fruit stands in my town, too bad they're seasonal.
Also, a great little italian place, I can buy capiccola from fairly inexpensive.

ronjohn, pickled herring is delicious. great with some buttered hard rolls and a cold one.
and you call yourself a pollock... hrmph!!! now go out and display something with a crowned eagle on it, and tell the ice hockey team to be careful once the weather warms...

for me, it's a threee way tie. of course, i love italian markets. fresh ricotta and buffala mozz, salume of every description, stuffed stuff :cool: (peppers, olives, artichokes, etc.), bresaola and prosciutto, fresh bread and pasta. i could go on all day.

but my next 2 favorite markets are just as fascinating and wide ranging.

i love to stop off at a huge korean matket near my house called han ah reum. there are so many exotic and bizarre things there to try. sometimes i have no clue what i'm eating, but you only live once. no they don't sell fugu.
but they do have every other fish in the sea, and vegetable on land and sea. and much of it kimchi style...

the other favorite market is the farmers market in paterson new jersey. the local neighborhood consists of a large hispanic community, only broken up by enclaves of muslims, eastern europeans, and american mutts like me. so, besides having great prices, there is an incredible mix of both fresh domestic and ethnic produce. you can pick up some store made chorizo, imported kielbasi, halal lamb, and fresh fruit and veggies of every kind right down 1 or 2 blocks of stores.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, we don't have much in the way of specialty markets here. But I absolutely love our farmer's market. The produce is so fresh and tastes so good compared to what you get at the grocery store. Not to mention how cheap it is! I love hearing that my raspberries were picked that morning! Too bad it's only seasonal! I really miss it when it's gone.:ermm:

We have a pretty good Persian market here in town. PARR's. It's where we get out feta and olives and other nice little treats.

We have open air markets, but assume from some of the posts on this thread that you are talking about local supermarkets and delicatessens. Here's my favourite local - they also have a restaurant and a cafe and sell the most heavenly lasagna etc for takeaway food (great when you're too tired to even think about what to cook for dinner!) I've mentioned them quite a few times on here, but think that they are worthy of mention again! Read and DROOL.......

http://www.valvonacrolla.co.uk/index.html

Unfortunately, where I live isn't really big enough to support a specialty market. Back when I lived in Tulsa, however, I would always go to an Asian market called Nam Hai, as they had an extremely wide range of products. I would usually see at least one person in Chef Whites while I was there :chef:

My Fav is Central Market.....they have everything my heart desires!
img_211874_0_be7f58c965bee0259e05c2877a8044bc.gif

(and all the stuff to try before you buy, is fun and delicious)

The website has some great recipes too!
img_211874_1_9474d4f03dcdaa71f03a4acdbfb656a4.gif

http://www.centralmarket.com/cm/index.jsp

I like to go to the International Market in Reno, NV. Too bad that it is an hour away. They have everything to make all kinds of cuisines: Thai, Chinese, Mexcian, etc. I go there throughout out the year to stock up on various noodles, rice wine, soy sauce, rice vinegar, etc.

Another favorite is Quincy Natural Foods in Quincy, CA. I only get to go there every once in awhile because it is also an hour away. But they have a great selection of organic produce, pasta, and grains, etc.

Quincy Natural Foods

Abundant Life Natural Foods in Portola, CA just opened up and has a very limited selection of items, but is better than nothing. My mom and I bought some veganaise there and it is wonderful on sandwiches and in tuna or chicken salad. I still don't think I could give up regular mayonaise in certain recipes, but the veganaise is surprisingly good on sandwiches, etc.

Veganaise

In the summer we have a local produce stand called the Sierra Valley Farms that has locally grown produce. I like to go there to get mixed greens, eggplant, zucchini, tomatoes, onions, herbs, honey, etc.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom