My Good Grocery Deals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barbara L

Traveling Welcome Wagon
I got some great deals at the store last night. There were quite a few, but the two I was happiest with were the flour tortillas and a whole Boston butt. I was planning on buying 4 or 5 packages of large flour tortillas. Just as I was reaching for them, I noticed that the extra large ones (same number of tortillas) were on sale for the same price as the large. Woohoo!

My biggest woohoo was the whole Boston butt though. It was marked down from $32.92 to $13.59. I would have bought more and froze them if I had had enough money.

:)Barbara

Oh, I just got in-store coupons for Select Harvest soups. I bought a lot of them. I'm always looking for 30 mg carb lunches for my husband and many of these fit the bill. I love to make home-made from scratch soups, but sometimes getting the carb count right is a royal pain in the patootie. So now my pantry is full of cans of these soups.

Yes, I, too, only buy when the sale is for something I'd buy anyway. OR if it is something I can buy for the food bank.

I just bought a whole bunch of items this weekend too - all of the stores had items on sale this week! If I had a chest freezer I would have stocked up on chicken breast, they were about a dollar a breast. I stocked up on Glad ziplocks for 1.00, clingwrap for 1.00, and tin foil for 1.00. Also EVOO was on sale, 1L for 5.49. Tons of great deals this weekend on staples!

My recent 'best' grocery deal was over the summer when I bought 18oz bottles of Sweet Baby Ray's bbq sauces for 99 cents ea. I've never seen them this cheap. They normally run $3.19 ea. So I picked up about $50 worth in assorted flavors.

Our store has a lot of buy one/get one free deals, and I have gotten a lot of good deals on things I need. They also have a lot of 10 for $10 or even less, such as James' canned ravioli which I got 10 for $9.00. Last month I bought something I normally wouldn't because I normally cannot afford it. They had boneless, skinless catfish, buy one get TWO free. That made them a little over $3 a package rather than over $9.00 a package. My favorite deals are the ones on things I had already planned to buy anyway, but I also like to try new things if the deal is good enough.

My house looks as if I am planning for a disaster that will wipe out all grocery stores in our area. I have pasta, canned fruits, veg, flour, sugar, (scratch baking essentials) beans and soup makings, canned soup, frozen meats and corn...oh my. I am trying to go through some of my items this next week or two so I can thin out my kitchen!

I love deals and I am getting to be such a better shopper. Its never really a bargain if I don't need it, and I'm not saving money if I have to spend more money on gas than I am on saving. I get some entertainment out of waiting to see if the price on regular items we need will fall lower than the last time I bought it. Am I sad or what, I sound like I am waiting for stock to fall so I can buy! Lol. Ah well I guess thats my own personal form of gambling. Much safer too. :-p

i don't think you are sad. you are just a careful shopper. in todays economy we have to be. i am only feeding my self so don't buy a bunch of anything. buy one get one free , my favorite is a good deal. also my local von's market has discounts on many items when i use my club card. it only costs me 6.95 for delivering a months worth of grocery. i do buy cake mix in a bunch when they go to .99 they last a long time. so keep up the good work yourstruly.

^^^ Speaking of Von's cards or whatever other supermarket club cards are concerned, I can't imagine paying non-club card prices on a lot of items these markets sell. Some of these prices are over inflated. Do people actually end up paying these ridiculously high prices? I hope not. I've seen cashiers take the discounts anyway for non-card carrying customers.

^^^ Speaking of Von's cards or whatever other supermarket club cards are concerned, I can't imagine paying non-club card prices on a lot of items these markets sell. Some of these prices are over inflated. Do people actually end up paying these ridiculously high prices? I hope not. I've seen cashiers take the discounts anyway for non-card carrying customers.
If we don't show our card, the cashiers ask if we have one. If someone doesn't have their card with them, the cashier uses one they have there, or the people behind them offer theirs if the cashier doesn't pull hers out fast enough.

If we don't show our card, the cashiers ask if we have one. If someone doesn't have their card with them, the cashier uses one they have there, or the people behind them offer theirs if the cashier doesn't pull hers out fast enough.

If I don't have my card, I just give the cashier my phone number. It's on file.

Recently, I found a few great bargains.... mushrooms, cabbage, green peppers, and milk.

If I don't have my card, I just give the cashier my phone number. It's on file.

Recently, I found a few great bargains.... mushrooms, cabbage, green peppers, and milk.

Yeah, that works too.

As far buying produce I never ever buy them at supermarkets. Even when on sale, they'll still almost always more expensive than our corner Asian market.

Yeah, that works too.

As far buying produce I never ever buy them at supermarkets. Even when on sale, they'll still almost always more expensive than our corner Asian market.
I know what you mean. There is an asian market in town, but I have never been there yet. I guess I go with convenience and go down the street. There is also a HUGE grocery store called WinCo. That is where I have purchased produce often. Sometimes, that was the only reason I went there.

Back
Top Bottom