My Grandpa's Apartment was Struck by Lightning!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SierraCook

Master Chef
Yesterday, my Grandpa's apartment was struck by lightning. :ohmy: He heard a big boom and ran to the back of the apartment. When he went into his office the whole wall was on fire. He ran outside and to the main office to call the fire department. Major damage was done to his office and bedroom. Most of his personal items will need to be replace because they either burned up or have smoke or water damage. But the main thing that he is OK. Some of you might remember that I went to visit him last Fall for his 90th Birthday.

He lives in Kansas. I hope that all of you that live in the midwest are safe and sound. Many of my relatives in Kansas have spent some time in their basements lately.

Oh wow! I'm so glad he is safe! That must have been so horribly scary. Glad the fire dept got there and put it out before it burned the rest of his apartment.

That is scary indeed, glad he is okay though .... :)

So sorry to hear of your grandpa's troubles.
Florida is known as the lightning capitol of the world, and I (my house) got hit about 9 yrs. ago. No fire, but I lost most of my appliances, including the dryer, a couple of ceiling fans and light fixtures.
It was the loudest crack I ever heard.
Second and third loudest are hurricanes and sonic booms. But they aren't cracks, more like rumbles, or freight trains.

Good luck to him.

Yikes - that's never fun! I had a run-in with lightning a few years ago at an airport I was working at. Wasn't as damaging, but almost deadly! I was putting chocks under the main landing gear of a King Air (so I was standing under the wing) when lightning struck the tail of the aircraft. The lightning went out through the static wicks on the rear of the wing, and through the landing gear. A wood chock I had just placed down exploded, and several chunks of the concrete were blown out. I got in the golf cart I was using to get around the ramp and drove it as fast as I could to the hanger where a bunch of mechanics were watching me. The worst thing that happened was I had the wind knocked out of me, and that's it thankfully. I don't really remember it being loud - but I do remember the shockwave. I felt it way more than I heard it!

Lightning is not fun, and it's good that your grandfather was not hurt!

Thanks for all the kind words. Lightning is not an element of nature to mess around with. It can travel over 10 miles through the air from the cloud that originated from. So, be sure to stay in a safe location during thunderstorm activity. The day at the lake, a golf game, or any other outdoor function is just not worth the risk.

Lightning Safety

Hi SC,
That must have been scary..so glad you granddad is alright.
kadesma

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom