My letter to the Mayor et al.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeekinz

Washing Up
The Monday following Veterans Day was a normal trash pick-up day, however the town workers had the day off. No big deal, but I recieved a summons in the mail later on that week saying you can't put garbage bags to the curb. All bags have to be in trash cans. $53! :ohmy:..........:mad:

Inspired by the ticket, I came up with this....what do ya think?

One copy to the Mayor and one to the dope code officer.:glare:

After reviewing the summons issued to me, I find the ordinance 19-10-4 to be an acceptable means of keeping excess litter off our streets due to possible bag failure.
However, to inform a fairly new resident, and homeowner, of the ordinance with a summons is completely unreasonable. Not every municipality carries this ordinance, and not every resident of Red Bank knows about it. A written warning of the ordinance would have been duly noted and the potential $53 fine would have been reserved for additional trashcans.
Monday, November 12th was ordinarily a scheduled trash collection day for my street. Upon my return home from work, I discovered the two loose bags of trash and one trashcan still at the curb due to the fact that the Utilities Department recognized Veterans’ Day on that Monday.
I also took note, after receiving the summons; nearly 75% of the homes I pass on my way to work had loose bags placed at the curb for pick-up. This raised a question: Is it acceptable to place loose bags at the curb on scheduled collection days? If so, then only if someone who mistakenly placed their trash to the curb on a non-scheduled day, like a Holiday, would receive a summons from the Code Enforcement Officer.

One copy needs to be published in the local paper! Addressed to the Mayor...
Sent to him....he'll probably never see it...In the paper he will hear plenty about it!

In our area no loose bags are allowed to be placed at the street - ONLY the acceptable trash can. We have a truck that comes around and lifts it mechanically so he does not have to get out of the truck. It sounds like it is not that way in your area as ANY trash can is acceptable????

A warning may have been nice but how long has the trash can ordinance been in effect?

My question would be did all those other people receive a summons?

I am more prone to learn the lesson versus fighting it though. :ermm:

Ignorance is no excuse for not following the law. Unfortunately they did nothing wrong by giving you the summons. That being said, they sure could have acted nicer and given a warning instead.

I have no problem with the ordinance. In fact, I think it's a pretty good idea. But come on, $53 BUCKS ?!?! And what's with the 53...why not just 55 or 50? The 3 bucks kills me!

You name it, I'd swear to it, nearly 75% of houses had bags out front yesterday. I think the Code-Boy used the holiday as a tool.

Yes, any can will do. The town uses it's own trucks and employees. The last town I lived in used a private company to collect the trash. It could be Christmas morning and your trash would get picked up.....never had a problem. Some neighboring towns have those fancy trucks you described.

A warning should have been issued for the first offense. I think putting the letter in the paper would be a good idea.

We live kind of in the country and our trash pick-up is through a private company. Most people around here either burn their trash (illegal--burning some stuff is legal but not trash) or haul it to the dump. Hauling it to the dump is cheaper than trash pick-up but it is also a pain in the neck, especially if you don't have a truck, so we are willing to pay the $20 a month to have it picked up. We are allowed to have a couple bags along with the trash can, but we usually don't have enough to have to do that.

:)Barbara

Back
Top Bottom