My newest pet peeve! What's yours?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow, you guys hit so many of the pet peeves I have and didn't even know I had!

Thanks a lot for making me clench my jaws while reading this thread! :)

Lee

mudbug said:
"at the end of the day", bucky, I will find you and hurt you.

whatever 'bug, talk to the hand!!!

corinne, you gave out pacifiers?
fantastic, that's just phenomenal!!!!!! :cool:

(ok, why is there a gang ouside my window with torches and pitchforks?)

Last edited:
just an fyi on "adult" pacifiers: the trend began with drug use, specifically ecstasy. "e" as it's known, dries out your mouth so you'll often see people drinking a lot of water, and sucking on pacifiers to help combat the cotton mouth.

i like lefse's reason much better. i keep one of my son's binkies clipped to my visor in my truck to remind me not to run poor driving tourists off the roads on my way to and from work in the city.

Now a binky hanging off of your luggage or rear-view mirror says to me you have a baby in the house and my brain goes "aww", but what drives me crazy are the adults that actually walk around sucking on them "ewww"

Bucky thanks for the info on how that got started. I never knew that.

Another thing that drives me crazy are eyebrow rings AAARRGGHH!! I just want to yank it off and scream "Give me that you freak". Oh I hate those things. Those and Tongue Studs. ICK!

I told my daughter she could get her ears pierced and/or her belly-button but nothing else. We reached a compromise on the points that 1. any piercing had to be able to be covered for work, church or formal occasions and 2. would not compromise the structural integrity of a condom.

~ Raven ~

One of my biggest pet peeves is most definitely the misuse of apostrophes. I had a very in-depth discussion with a friend of mine about this. I was making a vinyl decal for their mailbox (don't get me started on the misuse of there, they're and their) that said "The Andersons." She wanted me to add an apostrophe so that it said "The Anderson's."

I refused. I told her that by using the apostrophe in that way she was making it a singular possessive when she was intending to say "The Andersons live here." I told her that if I did *anything* with an apostrophe it would read "The Andersons'" because there were *two* of them living there, so it would be a little more correct to use a plural possessive placement of the apostrophe.

I won in the end, but their email header *still* says "The Anderson's" when it arrives.:evil:

VH1 uses "The Big 80's" in their advertisements. Arrrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhh!!! It's '80s, not 80's. It's not possessive. It's a *contraction* people! You are removing the "19" from "1980s" and therefore use the apostrophe to indicate the contraction. :mad:

Yeah. I'm a little retentive at times. Sue me. It's the journalism degree in me. :LOL:

Phinz, that is by far my biggest pet peeve in the universe. I am the "apostrophe police" around everyone I know. They make fun of me, but it drives me nuts! I've seen words PRINTED on signs at the grocery store (not just handwritten), such as "Bartlett Pear's" and "Tri Tip Roast's". It makes me want to run out screaming and waving my arms. I bet I see a misuse of the little apostrophe at least a couple of times a day. I could say it's my OCD that makes me crazy about this, but it's the just plain lack of proper word usage.

buckytom said:
awesome suggestion mudbug!!!

i understand your gripe, but ya know, in the end (lol, i can't say that without thinking of tg and brokebutt mountain) it's all good!

(running awayyyyyy)

I told my DH of this comment yesterday and he laughed. He/we won't see it (the flick) but he refers to it in a similar style, he calls it Pokeback Mountain....He isn't very nice:wacko:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have a confession to make and it's healing I hear to do that. I have 3 binkies in my kitchen on my cookbook bookshelf, as well as 1 bink in my glove box and 1 on my dashboard. I also carry 1 in my suitcase. Okay, I feel better now. They're his (to the left in the pix).
Oh gad about the apostrophe. That is a hoot! And about the use of the AR, the last part 'R' meant retentive but didn't want to put what the 'A' stood for, now you probably all know. hahah
I wrote an 8 page letter to Bloomingdorks about a problem I had with them in November last year. I sent it, as per a request, by a law student. She was at the event that I wrote about so she wanted to read it < my complaint. She dissected it and wrote back to me with all the corrections included. One thing she mentioned was, "Oh my, you DO love commas don't you?" I now call her the comma police. hahha
And the there, their, they're thing. Oh my.:wacko: My DH, the Rocket Doctor, :huh: even makes mistakes with that. How can such a brainiac be so oopsie on the their, there, they're PLUS your/you're?

I now have to rest..............

Last edited:
I love the English language. When used correctly it is akin to art, poetry and music. While my use of punctuation may not be exemplary, I do try - and I truly enjoy reading things that are gramatically correct and easy to follow. I know a very bright man who, whenever he writes something, likes to demonstrate his expansive vocabulary. But he doesn't consider his audience and he doesn't organize his thoughts in a logical sequence, which turns his attempts at brilliance into plodding intellectual exercises. Often, simpler or clearer words could be chosen. And often, he uses the wrong word thinking (apparently) that it is right! Now THAT is a pet peeve of mine... people who SOUND brilliant but, when you think about what they're saying, it's just nonsense.

lol lefse, i saw a great comic yesterday that showed 2 cowboys sitting around a fire, one is doing the :brows: eyes, and the other retorts "NO!! i haven't seen the movie!"

The Z said:
I love the English language. When used correctly it is akin to art, poetry and music. While my use of punctuation may not be exemplary, I do try - and I truly enjoy reading things that are gramatically correct and easy to follow. I know a very bright man who, whenever he writes something, likes to demonstrate his expansive vocabulary. But he doesn't consider his audience and he doesn't organize his thoughts in a logical sequence, which turns his attempts at brilliance into plodding intellectual exercises. Often, simpler or clearer words could be chosen. And often, he uses the wrong word thinking (apparently) that it is right! Now THAT is a pet peeve of mine... people who SOUND brilliant but, when you think about what they're saying, it's just nonsense.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
You just reminded me of my waaaay too many word usage. My favorite customer was a man who was 60+++. He was the only Pyschiatrist in our town which had many shrinks, therapists, etc. Anyway, I was cutting his hair one day and we were gabbing as usual. He stopped for a moment, looked at me and said, "You speak like no one else (the way you form your sentences and put your words together), very interesting." I think it was his sweet way of a cut.

The Z said:
I love the English language. When used correctly it is akin to art, poetry and music. quote]

lol, akin? not to pick but poetry would suck without words. :)

pick pick pick

I was comparing the written word to other forms. I guess I could have been clearer in my use of the language - LOL. In this case I was thinking about oratory poetry.

Well picked.

When I visit my wifes family I usually shop at the local United food store. My wifes parents live in Lubbock, I live in the Dallas area. The staff at United will not let you take your groceries to your vehicle. I have tried to just take the shoping cart out the door to the parking lot but one of the employees will follow me and take the cart back. I guess I am complaing about good service but that never happens when I am home.

Later

buckytom said:
The Z said:
...not to pick but poetry would suck without words. :)

Yeah, BT, but it wouldn't be as boring!:ROFLMAO:

Phinz and Jkath:

I also have a serious AR attitude about the over use of apostrophes. It's mind boggling where they pop up and don't belong! Phinz, you are right. You cannot convince people you are correct.

But that's just the tip of the grammar police iceberg...

...better I don't get going on this subject!

what about mixing mataphors andy? grammar police/iceberg tips? :rolleyes:

(i'd better go hide today) :)

if it helps, i tried to give you and z karma, but it tells me to go away...

i often get my grammar and punctuation wrong by mistake or ignorance, but sometimes i knowingly use apostrophes (i always read that word like w.c fields) to help convey my message better. sometimes it just makes more sense or looks better, incorrect as it is. remember, being right and being righteous are 2 different things. the whole idea is to convey the message to the listener/reader.

Last edited:
there once was a woman named pdswife,
that loved her paul with every inch of her life,
a great couple the made,
and without any aide,
sliced their wedding cake up with a knife!
(sorry, couldn't think of another "ife" word) :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom