My OH isn't well

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

di reston

Sous Chef
I posted a thread some time ago. OH has prostate cancer, and is currently having treatment - radiotherapy. I'm not coping very well. I can't sleep at night, and the daytimes are difficult. Reading your threads helps a lot, and some idea of the future, but I'm very tired and find it difficult to carry on. But I want to thank you all for the hope you give me, and the impetus to carry on. Thank you all for the hope you give me.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Sorry you are having your challenges. I understand how you must worry, and that plagues your own well being.

I've certainly had some not so nice things to deal with the last couple of years and sleep has been one of my issues, too. One of my doctors prescribed a common prescription medication that did absolutely nothing to remedy my problem.

It wasn't until I was discussing the situation with my radiation doctor that a solution was presented. I was aghast at how simple it sounded and even questioned the possibility that it would work. It has and I will share it with you.

What my doctor recommended is that, about 30 minutes before going to bed, I chew a regular (325mg.) aspirin and follow it with a cup or glass of just warm milk. He said the combination of the two would aid in sleep. I was skeptical but tried it. Wow! I was amazed.

Not only did I fall asleep much sooner than usual (most nights it would take me in excess of 2 hours to finally get to sleep) but I was able to easily fall back to asleep after having to get up in the middle of the night for my usual bathroom visit. After a week, I realized my quality of sleep was improving and I now awake feeling much more rested.

My doctor explained that chewing the aspirin caused it to enter my system much more readily and the warm milk provided tryptophan which triggers the serotonin and melatonin in our bodies to "do their thing" and are part of what make us sleep.

He said I could do this indefinitely, as long as the aspirin doesn't cause stomach issues, which it does for some people. The added benefit for me is that I can discontinue my daily dosage of aspirin I take for preventative heart care.

I haven't felt this clear-headed and rested in nearly 2 years. It's a cheap and effective solution for me.

I'm so sorry you have to deal with all that, di [emoji813] I know I'd be scared and worried, too.

If the, aspirin/milk idea doesn't work, or if you have had any previous stomach problems, you could also try melatonin. A doctor once prescribed a high dose for me in an attempt to treat my intractable headaches. It didn't help the headaches, but it did help me sleep.

Di, I am so sorry to hear this. I know all too well about how what is going on in our lives affects our own health and sleep. I also agree how the group here is so caring and can fill you with hope.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Lydia!

{{{hugs}}} to you and your OH, di. Hoping you can get some needed rest, and OH finds a cure.

I'm so sorry you have to deal with all that, di [emoji813] I know I'd be scared and worried, too.

If the, aspirin/milk idea doesn't work, or if you have had any previous stomach problems, you could also try melatonin. A doctor once prescribed a high dose for me in an attempt to treat my intractable headaches. It didn't help the headaches, but it did help me sleep.

The doctor prescribed the aspirin/milk regimen for me because high doses of melatonin and valerian root did nothing to help my sleep dilemma. The aspirin and milk seems to do the trick.

I posted a thread some time ago. OH has prostate cancer, and is currently having treatment - radiotherapy. I'm not coping very well...
I'm sorry you're going through this rough time. I hope you find some way to get your rest. It will be good for both your health and that of your OH, since we won't have to worry about you worrying about him.

I posted a thread some time ago. OH has prostate cancer, and is currently having treatment - radiotherapy. I'm not coping very well. I can't sleep at night, and the daytimes are difficult. Reading your threads helps a lot, and some idea of the future, but I'm very tired and find it difficult to carry on. But I want to thank you all for the hope you give me, and the impetus to carry on. Thank you all for the hope you give me.

di reston

di, my heart goes out to you.

I hope that you are seeking some sort of counseling for yourself,
as well as your OH.
I know here in the States, there are many support groups for
care givers and the individual going through Cancer treatments.

As to not sleeping, my I also make suggestion?

DH started using this product and it has given him great relief:
Natural Calm | Magnesium Supplement Stress Relief
He falls asleep rather quickly AND stays asleep, which he hasn't
done in many, many years. He wakes up refreshed and not groggy
or with a foggy head that some prescription medications have done
in the past.

The doctor prescribed the aspirin/milk regimen for me because high doses of melatonin and valerian root did nothing to help my sleep dilemma. The aspirin and milk seems to do the trick.
I'm glad you found something that works for you [emoji2] I can't take aspirin because of previous ulcers. It's good to have alternatives.

Last edited:

di reston

So sorry to hear about your OH. Cancer is a nasty disease that hurts both the patient and the friends/family. Prayers going up for your husband, you, and your family/friends/support circle.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom