My oldest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texasgirl

Master Chef
Ok, I know I ask you guys for your prayers a lot, but, that is because you are my friends and my oldest, yes, the troubled one, needs some prayers.
He has finally decided to try to get into the Navy. He finally told me the other day that he is scared that he is going to end up, either in prison or dead. This one has never had any self esteem, ever. I have to say, his dad didn't help in that area at all, but, anyway. He is a follower, hence all the trouble he has been in. I feel, with all my heart, that if he can get in, he will have all the self esteem he could handle and become a leader and know that he can do anything he sets out to do, instead of saying, I can't do that. I have been scared in the past, I know, but, this time, I KNOW, this is probably going to be the only way he can straighten his life out. Just please keep him in your thoughts. I will keep you up to date on how he's doing. Recruiter is here now and will be giving him his practice test. I also paid for some practice tests that were for the youngest, but, he never got a chance to do the ASVAB after studying, so, I'm praying that the guides will help my oldest.
Here is my son. He is a good kid, just going in the wrong direction and is trying to turn around.
img_719628_0_2548a7ce3834260b44059d6755bbc9b9.jpg

If this is something he wants to do then that is half the journey to success! The fact that he likes to follow will be good thing in the Navy. My youngest considered the Marines but ultimately decided against it. He didn't think he could handle following orders and I agreed with him. He likes to be unique and do his own thing so military life would be bad for him. I will pray that he finds his path to success!

Good for him!!! I hope it isn't a decision made on the whim though. Military life is hard, but also really fun. You are like a great big family that parties hard (most of the younger ones anyways) and kicks the bleeeep bleep bleep out of anyone who tries to hurt their country lol

Hey, Stacy. DH was in the Navy for four years, so I have some experience with that ;) It could be the perfect thing for him - the military will teach him discipline, teamwork, and marketable skills, as well as leadership, if he wants, which he may after a few years in.

If he finished high school, it's not all that difficult to get into the military these days. I'm hoping for the best for him :)

No, this is not something he just decided on. Actually, some of you will remember he was looking at this right after school. His friends talked him out of it. It has always been in the back of his mind though. He knows he needs structure and the military is exactly what he wants to do. I am very proud of him for making this decision on his own. Thanks you guys.

Stacy,
I think this is just what he needs..I had one a lot like him and when we hit our wits end, DH said either or to him..He joined the Air Force and the kid who was not so fond of his mom, got a woman as his boss..Let me tell you at 6 weeks we went to San Antonio for his graduation and at his request..I could not believe the change in my wayward boy..He was now a grown man and so proud of how he had done..He was gone from us for 3 years in Guam and now he is a well employed sweet kind human being that we are proud of and love dearly..Let him go Stacy, chin up smile and let the tears come AFTER he has gone..Then ya pray and worry, but the return is wonderful
kadesma

Thanks for sharing, Stacy (GG and Kades as well). My Dad says the forces was the best thing he ever did in his life. It will be hard on both you and him, but it is sure to be a win win situation. I will keep you both in my prayers.

stacy, will think of you and your son, only good thoughts. he will surely do very well. all you can do is encourage him to do his best. they grow up a lot in the service.

Well, he is now VERY excited about it, lol. The recruiter was here an hour and half talking with him and then with me. He did the practice test and scored a 23, which is better than the younger one did. That is enough for him to grin from ear to ear, lol
I told him that I know he can do this and that, he will be a better man for it than if he stays here on the road he is going and he knows it. The recruiter got in his face about some things, mainly the drugs. He told him that this is not a game, this is his life and if he's not serious about, don't waste his time. Told ds, be ready for a at home drug test next time he comes out. Didn't say when either, lol. I love it!! He can do it, I know. He stopped his bs when he went to N Carolina, he can for this too!! I threatened his friend over the phone too and told him that if something happens, I'm coming for them too!! They know me well enough that he was saying ,ok, ok, no ma'am yes ma'am, hehe.
OH LORD PLEASE GUIDE HIM!!!

What a wonderful change I have seen in my nephew since he joined the service. He went from being a 'sleepy, unsure of his future prospects' kid.... to an....'admired, full of self esteem' man.
My best wishes for your son.
chefmaloney

Well, he is now VERY excited about it, lol. The recruiter was here an hour and half talking with him and then with me. He did the practice test and scored a 23, which is better than the younger one did. That is enough for him to grin from ear to ear, lol
I told him that I know he can do this and that, he will be a better man for it than if he stays here on the road he is going and he knows it. The recruiter got in his face about some things, mainly the drugs. He told him that this is not a game, this is his life and if he's not serious about, don't waste his time. Told ds, be ready for a at home drug test next time he comes out. Didn't say when either, lol. I love it!! He can do it, I know. He stopped his bs when he went to N Carolina, he can for this too!! I threatened his friend over the phone too and told him that if something happens, I'm coming for them too!! They know me well enough that he was saying ,ok, ok, no ma'am yes ma'am, hehe.
OH LORD PLEASE GUIDE HIM!!!
Stacy it will be alright..Just stay on his back and pray a lot..You both are going to make it
kadesma

I was in the Air Force from 69-73 (yes, I'm an old guy), and can honestly say that military life will give him good direction and will bring his self-esteem back. Every day offers opportunities to learn and to accomplish new things, and he will be surrounded with the proper role models to help him become a leader, and not just a follower. My prayers are for both of you.

JoeV

I agree with all the positives here, Stac. You have to trust that he used his parents as roll models when it was most important, when he was young, and it was most critical. Now it's his job as a young man to use those lessons. You can be a reminder, but those lessons are already set. It's his job now.
This would be the best thing for him.
Hugs and support for you all.

thank you all. I know this will be his turning point. I really do hope for this to go through and that he is able to get a career doing what he's wanting. He's looking at engineering, so, he needs to score pretty good on the ASVAB. He has plenty of stuff to study from.

Prayers and best wishes TG. I went through a similar situation with my oldest several years ago, so I can empathize with you and what your going through.

Sounds as if he's starting to see things with more clarity now, and thats a good start. Joining the military in these uncertain times takes a lot of guts and shows a lot of resolve on his part.

May (insert higher power of your choice here) bless all of you & best wishes.

I'd like to take this opportunity, in advance, to thank him for his willingness to go out and protect my freedom and way of life.

I am going to show him this thread and show him what a great thing he is doing!! Thank you all!!

My best wishes to your fine lad, Stacy. The oldest son of my partner, now 20, also had a very difficult period which lasted for 4-5 years. He was heavily depressed and apathetic to everything, he flunked his grade for 3 years in a row and things seemed pretty dire until last year.

Then something clicked. He started to open up, talk, smile and laugh more, which he hardly ever did for a long time. He was always an excellent artist and he decided to go to uni to study more art. He made up for 3 years he lost this summer, and is just starting his first days at uni. He is finally a bright, cheerful and smart young lad that was hidden deep for years. It has been such a lovely turn around to watch.

and always remember.... Yes, we can.;)

Back
Top Bottom