My rescue Greyhound

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gravy Queen

Head Chef
We always wanted a rescue greyhound when we retired. Well, my husband retired early and I'm not quite retired but its close enough :)

So, we just got our rescue greyhound. Greyhounds can be mistreated terribly after their racing careers are over (they retire them at around the age of 4). Luckily ours had good owners, and wasnt mistreated but we liked the idea of being able to give a retired racing dog a home.

He's called Kane (his racing name was Rocket Kane), and he's the size of a small horse (ok I'm a shortarse so everyone looks big to me).

People think that because he's a greyhound, we have to run round a racetrack with him at 40 mph every day. Completely the opposite, they are incredibly laid back and lazy. Given the chance he would sleep 23 hours a day.

He's good for us as we make the effort now to get out and walk ! I even walked him in the rain! Yes, messed my hair up and everything. I did buy nice pretty wellies so I looked the part though.

Here's a pic of my lazy baby :)

Attachments

• Kane and Tigger.jpg
    Kane and Tigger.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 186
Gravy Queen,

Congrats on the new family member ... He is beautiful ...

We have done same with an abandoned Donkey, Rubí ... She is pure Andalusian, Silver and 11 years old. The Vet rescued her on the highway, enroute to one of his Cattle Ranchers ... She is like a dog ... Follows Filippo just about every where.

Kind regards and have lovely Sunday.
Margi. Ciao.

How lovely! Yes, retired racing greyhounds do need exercise, but the flip side is that they are also used to living in confined spaces. In Florida, where there are many race-tracks, there are many retired 'hounds. Lots of vets keep them as the clinic pet, also the clinic blood donor. They're used to living in kennels and used to giving blood (testing for doping before races), and are much beloved by the vets and staff. At the greyhound race track in Daytona there is an "adopt a retiree" booth where you can adopt these guys, and most are well-cared-for. I have always preferred a dog I can actually pick up, needs be, but if I wanted a larger dog, this is where I'd go.

What a cutie! You're really doing a great thing by giving these retired guys a seccond chance so to speak.
Greyhounds are lovely!

But GQ. Retired soon? I thought you were in your 20s, maybe 30s, judging from the avatar you used to have. Retired from modelling perhaps?;)

Last edited:
We always wanted a rescue greyhound when we retired. Well, my husband retired early and I'm not quite retired but its close enough :)

So, we just got our rescue greyhound. Greyhounds can be mistreated terribly after their racing careers are over (they retire them at around the age of 4). Luckily ours had good owners, and wasnt mistreated but we liked the idea of being able to give a retired racing dog a home.

He's called Kane (his racing name was Rocket Kane), and he's the size of a small horse (ok I'm a shortarse so everyone looks big to me).

People think that because he's a greyhound, we have to run round a racetrack with him at 40 mph every day. Completely the opposite, they are incredibly laid back and lazy. Given the chance he would sleep 23 hours a day.

He's good for us as we make the effort now to get out and walk ! I even walked him in the rain! Yes, messed my hair up and everything. I did buy nice pretty wellies so I looked the part though.

Here's a pic of my lazy baby :)
+1

He's beautiful GQ! Thanks for adopting him.

If we ever get out of the underground apartment, I will be looking for a dog!

PrincessFiona60 said:
He's beautiful GQ! Thanks for adopting him.

If we ever get out of the underground apartment, I will be looking for a dog!

AHA! I knew it! A convert!

AHA! I knew it! A convert!

I've had dogs before, we had two labs for two years. They went to the guy next door since they spent most of their time with him and the sheep, when we had to move to student housing.

But, I've been a cat person all my life.

My first dog was when I was a baby and I don't remember her. And dogs were always on the farm, they worked hard.

We had planned to adopt a couple greyhounds a few years ago after losing our cockers and Dalmation to old age. We read the requisite books, filled out the required forms, showed up at the out of town rescue place, only to find they'd lost our paperwork, and we would have to start over. So I went to our local Humane Society, and fell in love with our little beagle. She would LOVE a kitty to call her own. Maybe when I retire...

Last edited:
Me doggy

What a cutie! You're really doing a great thing by giving these retired guys a seccond chance so to speak.
Greyhounds are lovely!

But GQ. Retired soon? I thought you were in your 20s, maybe 30s, judging from the avatar you used to have. Retired from modelling perhaps?;)

Bolly you can be my new best friend. :)

Thanks all, my little horsey is doing fine, just got to get him out in the rain for a walk today. I got him a coat with his name on it, I wanted it in diamante but my boys said no. Mean. I also wanted to call him Tinkerbell Sugarlump and guess what they said no. Boys know nowt.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom