My son bought a house

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragnlaw

Site Team
Staff member
Bought July 1st - left Aug 1st

Attachments

• #3.jpg
    #3.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 35
  • August 1st, 2022,  moved in one month ago.jpg
    August 1st, 2022, moved in one month ago.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 19
  • #6.jpg
    #6.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Pierre's photo.png
    Pierre's photo.png
    130.4 KB · Views: 77
  • #7.jpg
    #7.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 23
the last photo, with the flames, was actually taken by an old neighbour of mine. He was driving thru town and took the picture to send to his wife. He didn't know it was my sons' home.

I am actually going back to my old stomping grounds for the end of August. To housesit said neighbour's place and look after their chickens and cats. I was so looking forward to visiting with all my friends but especially to see my son's new place .

Guess that ain't gonna happen!

My DIL, who works from home, thought the neighbour was have a BBQ, until someone came pounding on the door telling her to get the hell out! She grabbed her purse, the cat and the keys and ran.

No one seems to know what happened. It is was a semi-detached. They are pretty sure it started next door but have not given any statements. The property has been released back to them....

and now we wait to see what happens.

Nothing can replace the photo's and momentos lost. Nothing can compensate for the shock. Still not sure they are even over the shock, especially her. Nothing can compensate for the stress that will be involved in trying to get your life back together.

My other DIL, bless her, started a GoFundMe for them to help - wow, I would never have even thought about it. I'm just so sorry I'm not there - if for no other reason than to give hugs.

That's really sad that happened to your son and DIL's house. It is traumatic and very stressful. There are so many irreplaceable pictures and mementos. It doesn't bare thinking about. At least she managed to grab the cat.

It was decades ago, but I once lost everything in a fire. About the only thing I had left from before the fire was my enamelled cast iron pans.

They are alive. Thank God.
Things in this world, are things and can be replaced. Thank God they are okay.
I'm sorry the stress of this is something they must go through. I will think kind thoughts and send them their way.

Thank you all for your kind thoughts.

I'm sure we have all had tragic occurances somewhere in our lives and can relate in some way or another.
Yes, of course, we are all extremely grateful for no loss of life for any of the residents and also the firefighters.

It was a terribly hot and humid day. They worked very hard under difficult circumstances. Although they could not save anything for that building they did prevent the fire from spreading to adjacent buildings. Even so, the heat was so extreme, I believe one building got scorched.

So now we have to take deep breaths to face what lies ahead, so thanks again for all the good vibes headed towards them.

So sorry to learn of your son and DIL's loss of their home. An aunt and uncle endured a house fire, although not as devastating as that of your kids. It's a trial going through the grieving and rebuilding process, but I'm sure you and the rest of the family will give them the support and love that they need at this time.

While the Go Fund Me account is a nice gesture, most banks will help someone set up an account that people can donate to help an individual or family. Go Fund Me is a for-profit and charges a small fee and percentage on each donation. It isn't a whole lot, but every little bit counts.

Thanks CG, I've never paid attention to those GFMe things and really knew nothing about them. Of course, I've read their blurb now. I didn't know banks do that sort of thing, not that I hope I will ever need to use it, but good to know.

OH_MY_GAWD!!!!
dragn, I'm sending virtual hugs to your kids!
Where are they staying? Do you guys in Canada have something like the Red Cross that will help them with essentials, clothes, etc. ?? How about grandkids, do they have kids?
Is there a bank account set up for them as CG mentioned, I mean other ways that maybe folks to help them financially? Did they have a good insurance policy, dumb question but those insurance companies can be real sob's when comes to paying out on a claim ...

OOOHHHHH! :cry:

Have not spoken with them... got a call in for tonight. Yeah, they have insurance, I believe the insurance will find a furnished house for them to live in. But meanwhile, his father lives not too far and can put them up for a time. Of course, one is out of pocket (I think) for necessities (underwear?)

I have no idea how any of it works, I know that they have a roof over their heads for now. Kids will stay with their mom, I guess. they share custody, so they won't be on the street.

Being so far away - it's a wait and see situ...

Wow, dragnlaw, I'm so sorry to hear about this. I'm glad everyone is okay, but sad that they lost everything. I hope they're able to get back on their feet quickly.

So sorry to hear about this, dragnlaw! Prayers and positive thoughts to their families, and hopefully they can get things underway quickly for the insurance, though those things never move fast enough. Take care.

Had a long chat with son last night. It wasn't a zoom but I could tell his face was a bit pink from all the good wishes I conveyed to him from everyone here. He says Thank You so much! He appreciates the wishes. He is not one to talk about stuff like that easily. Things seem to be calming down emotionally for them.

He says they went off to Walmart and spent a bundle just on everyday necessities. But there is a lot more needs to be gathered up. Looking at furnished homes to rent - all in various places around, come September might be difficult with the kids and school if they can't find one in the school area. They are at their Mom's at the moment. Finding a rental is as bad as finding a house for sale!

Back
Top Bottom