My tomato plant is dying!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

my_psychosis

Senior Cook
I'm hoping somebody can help me find out whats wrong with one of my tomato plants. I included pics below. But first a small explanation. I have 6 tomato plants. 2 beefsteak, 2 romas, on one side of my porch and 1 cherry and 1 roma cherry on the other side. They are all good but the roma cherry. None of the others are being affected. I am spraying it with a bug spray for tomato plants called "Seven" but it's not working. anyway here are the pics.
This first is a pic of a leaf being eaten and you can also see where some leaves have been eaten away almost completely
img_908223_0_764dadf0610f37c3433b797161254973.jpg

This one, the edges of the leaf are turning black and yellow.
img_908223_1_f4ee36473e9e941e2ca27b83d30f4210.jpg

and this one the edges are curling up.
img_908223_2_781967cf15227bdfad6f40e45c6a48d7.jpg

The little green tomatos themselves have not been hurt so far, but Im afraid they will be next and that my other plants will become affected to.
Does anybody have any ideas at all what could be causing this? Thank you so much.

Obviously you have what appears to be insect (gnawing/chewing) damage....
The discoloration and leaf curl could be from any number of diseases..Too much or too little water..heat..cold...fertilizer burn etc. etc. etc.

Suggest you isolate/quarantine this plant from all others...Apply a good insecticide and fungicide every 7-14 days....Do not handle (tie/prune/inspect) the plant and go handle the other plants...Wash your hands first or handle it last. HTH

Check out this link. I added a bunch of crushed eggshells to my tomato dirt to add calcium. Its supposed to prevent blossom rot and keep slugs away. Dunno if it will help you but its worth looking at.

Thanks everybody. Im gonna try the eggshells. Also it has been very very wet here. As for whats eating the leaves another site said it looks like tomato worm damage, so hopefully between all this info I can save it.:)

Yes, if the leave look eaten look for the horned tomato catepiller. They are hard to spot as they look a lot like part of the plant. I had them one year and they stripped all 10 of my plants in one week while I was out of town

I don't know where you live in Iowa, but here in Galena (about 10 miles from Iowa) everyone I know is reporting problems with their tomatoes, even some professionals I know. This to me looks like others have said, something catepiller-like. Most of our problems have been from going from flooding rains to extreme heat. Then I broke my foot, so gardening is uncomfortable at best, painful and a danger to re-breaking the bone at worse, so I haven't been caring for them the way I would. In previous years and places (I've tried to grow tomatoes in Hawaii, Florida, and here) when I found them, I'd go looking every day with a pair of gardening shears and cut them in half, and I'd spray with soap or a soap based insecticide, hoping to make the leaves less yummy. If your weather is anything like ours has been, leaf discoloration and spots probably have to do with the weather. A lot of my plants in the garden have mildew, spots, yellowing. I personally would consider pulling the plant out since you have so many, and do not put it in a compost heap. That way, not matter what is causing the problem, you can protect your healthy plants.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom