My watch band stinks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can try to wash it, but in worse cases you need to get new watchband.

Vinegar, baking soda, a mild bleach solution and all the other standard home grown remedies.

I keep a firm bristled toothbrush for small household tasks. how about some dish detergent and a scrubbing (both sides) with such a utility brush.

Also, I'd remove the watch band and clean the watch casing where the watchband attaches.

Last edited:
New, fabric watch bands, even after a week start smelling on me. I don't like metal or plastic bands, they don't go with the style of watch I'm wearing.

Last edited:
Can you take the watch off the band and put int a small mesh bag? If so, let it run in a laundry load that uses hot water and bleach. The detergent, bleach and agitating motion might break loose whatever is causing your problem. Why not?

That smell is probably coming from bacteria that is growing off the sweat in the canvas. You need to kill the bacteria. I would dunk it in some alcohol, and let it dry. Alcohol will dry quickly. You can probably dip the band in alcohol without taking it off the watch, so it is something you can do on a regular basis. I'd go with some cheap Isopropyl alcohol you can get in the drug section of any store that has one. Good luck.

CD

That smell is probably coming from bacteria that is growing off the sweat in the canvas. You need to kill the bacteria. I would dunk it in some alcohol, and let it dry. Alcohol will dry quickly. You can probably dip the band in alcohol without taking it off the watch, so it is something you can do on a regular basis. I'd go with some cheap Isopropyl alcohol you can get in the drug section of any store that has one. Good luck.

CD
Good idea. Those little alcohol pads people use to clean skin before an injection or pinprick blood test should work, too, and would be easier to use and carry around than liquid alcohol. I imagine they're available in drugstores and the HBA section in grocery stores.

Last edited:
Yes, it's bacteria, the band smells like smelly underarm pit.
I'll try soaking in vinegar overnight and see how that goes.

That will make it smell like vinegar.

Try some alcohol. It is odorless, and will kill bacteria in seconds, not overnight.

CD

I would wash first with a strong detergent - using the stiff toothbrush - then the alcohol.
If you don't get rid of the scuz that is harbouring the bacteria it will come back too fast.
I then suggest you use those swabs every morning before putting on your watch... Plus get into the habit of NOT wearing it to bed.

It may depend on the actual material from which the band is made. Some artificial fibers are really bad about taking on body odors and not releasing them. Polypropylene is notorious for it.

Back in the early 80's I bought some polypro long underwear for hiking and skiing.... bad mistake. I'm not even sure that they make clothes from the stuff any more, because once they started to smell, no amount of laundering would get rid of it. I had throw them out after just about 3 months.

I used to know a girl who was kinda freaky about smelling things. If anyone took their watch off, say, to go in a pool or wash their hands, she would sneak over and smell the band. It was so weird.

Btw, I hate those stretchy metal watch bands. They rip all of the hair off your wrist.

Back
Top Bottom