Names That are "No More"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustJoel

Executive Chef
This may seem silly, and very off-topic, but it’s 0400 here (PST), and I’m a bit giddy, I guess.

I don’t know what got me to thinking about this at all, except that the tv’s set to binge watch Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries, and the lead role, Miss Fisher, has a first name that is just, well, weird! It’s “Phryne,” and even the characters seem unsure of its pronunciation.

Names for babies differ greatly from century to century, sometimes from decade to decade. It goes without saying that some names fall out of favor. Some even seem to disappear completely.

Here are a few that popped into my head: Maude, Humphrey, Beatrice, Hilda. I was never sure of maternal grandfather’s first name; he was Grandpa Morrie, and I really don’t know if that’s for “Morris” or “Maurice.” Both names are bit antiquated though.

If that short list seems a bit weighted to female names, it’s because my be-fogged mind is pretty much one track right now, lol.

Any names you know that you’d bet wouldn’t be found among people aged 40 or less?

This is just for kicks, of course. And if you happen to be the proud possessor of such a name, please don’t take offense! However beautiful a name, some tend to disappear over time as people’s views change.

Betty, Emil, Eleanor, Arthur, Ruth, Ingrid, Bernard, and Dick (for Richard).

The first 6 are names of my relatives in the previous generation, and are middle names of my under 40 nieces and nephews.

My brother is Rick, or Richard, but we still call him Dickie.

Linda is still somewhat popular in Hispanic communities here. I know a few young people named Linda, I suppose due to the translation.

Linda is still somewhat popular in Hispanic communities here. I know a few young people named Linda, I suppose due to the translation.
The translation was one of the reasons my mum gave me that name.

About 10 years ago, one of my clients mentioned that when he heard the name "Linda", he was expecting it belonged to a woman of a "certaine age". That's what I tend to expect too and I'm usually right.

Edith, Mabel, Gladys, Maude are a few of my female relatives (long deceased).

Has anyone ever heard of Swoosie Kurtz? She's an actress with an Emmy and two Tony Awards under her belt. That is her given name, not a made up pseudonym.

I bet you won't hear THAT name again any time soon!

Last edited:
I've known or been related to a Verna, Velma, Voisa, Lila, Wilma, Violet, Avis, Cleveland and others which don't seem to pop up quickly..

All women except that last two..

Ross

Last edited:
I haven't been on DC for a while, but I couldn't resist this topic. I have many, many weird and old fashioned names in my family.

Let's start with my immediate family. My father and mother were named Merle and Eleanor (my father's middle name was Jayira. I've never seen that name anywhere before). No wonder he went by the name Pat. My grandparents were Volney (grandpa) and Vergil (grandma), who went by their middle names Lee and Carleita. On my paternal side, my grandparents were Fletcher (went by Fred) and Minnie. I also had a great grandmother named Zilpha and an aunt named Zora.

I always felt happy to have a relatively normal name like Steve. During the 1950s and 60s, it was one of the most common names. However, it's lost popularity over the years. According to one of the baby name websites, it's now ranked at number 1615 in popularity. I'm sure it won't be long before it's seen as one of those old fashioned names.

Here are some other gems from my family tree below.

Men's names:

Clyde
Clarence
Gustave
Lowell
Orville
Myron
Orial
Elmer
Wells
Bliss
Lafayette
Obadiah
Matthias
Solomon

Women's names:

Golda
Elmira
Elsie
Lerlene
Freda
Zora
Virginia
Norma
Dorcas
Viola
Ida
Sophronia
Vandalia
Marilla
Inez
Zalita
Mildred

I won't bother with the odd for North America names of my relatives. They were all born in Europe except me and my sister and some second cousins.

Now I won't be able to think of you as taxy, but rather as Que linda chica!

My Scandinavian cousins have fun names. Ulvang, Ole, Marika Lynn, and Geir are still raiding and pillaging, I think.

My names Russell, I prefer Russ, I hate Russell.
My nana was dorie, her sisters were, mave,Phyllis,Joan, and marge. Those weren't continued with.

Russ

This is a fun and interesting thread!

I had an Uncle Florence. :) He was my grandfather's brother - he and his wife Ruby passed away when I was in my teens so I don't have a lot of memories. They had a farm in Kansas, and my grandmother took me to visit them in the summer of '71. It was a wonderful experience and those two were such characters! Aunt Ruby, especially. :LOL: She always wanted to stand out and be different, so early on she changed the spelling of her name from Ruby to Rhubee, and went by that for the rest of her life. :)

I also had an Aunt Babe, and an Aunt Goldie. Both real birth names.

Last edited:
Some of the common names I knew girls had when I was growing up, but haven't heard in years; Heidi, Grace, Sally, Polly. And I love them all.

My maternal grandma’s name was Beatrice. She passed away before I was born. Grandpa married Evelyn, also a name that’s becoming scarce. Evelyn had a daughter, Louise.

I don’t know Mom’s grandmother’s name. Mom always referred to her as “Bubbe.”

My maternal grandma’s name was Beatrice. She passed away before I was born. Grandpa married Evelyn, also a name that’s becoming scarce. Evelyn had a daughter, Louise.

I don’t know Mom’s grandmother’s name. Mom always referred to her as “Bubbe.”

Lots of folks have a Bubbe. It's Yiddish for Grandmother (and dedication).

Joel, I think you would enjoy Bubbeh Lee and Me. I did. LOL When I have to return something to a supermarket, I channel Bubbeh Lee for the Chutzpah not to take no for an answer.

https://www.newday.com/film/bubbeh-lee-me

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom