Nation's bacon reserves hit 50-year low as prices rise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kleenex

Master Chef
Nation's bacon reserves hit 50-year low as prices rise

“Today’s pig farmers are setting historic records by producing more pigs than ever,” said Rich Deaton, president of the organization. “Yet our reserves are still depleting.”

There are literally not enough little piggies going to market.

In December 2016, frozen pork belly inventory totaled 17.8 million pounds, the lowest level since 1957, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

We need our bacon:chef::pig::pig::chef:

Guilty. My Dad is a bacon hoarder. Sorry, I keep telling him we should use up most of it before buying more, but he can't resist. One of the freezers has a lot of bacon in it...

My Mom and Dad have a whole chest freezer devoted to Bacon, the one next to it is full of butter.

This separate freezer dedicated to bacon interests me greatly.

I freeze half a pack of bacon because it's so pricey. I don't use up the package fast enough. Even when frozen, bacon still ages rather quickly, at least it seems that way to me. Same with frozen pork chops. Frozen pork in general seems to not last as long (without a significant flavor change) as frozen beef or chicken does. Not sure about that, it seems that way to me. It's as if it "ages" even tho frozen.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom