Need a little help from my friends.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

babetoo

Chef Extraordinaire
as most of you know by now. i had a very bad fall. i am very sore and bruised . i am 71 years old. is this what happens when we get old? it took me three hours to get up. my alarm necklace had a dead battery.

i am very scared of walking , have a cane and walker and still don't feel safe. my family seems to take it all in stride. i live alone. my granddaughter was only one that came over and she lives any hour away. my son about five minutes. i feel very neglected and abandoned. am i being too worried. i don't think so. i know they have lives of their own but good lord.

i ordered a cell phone and will carry it always when i even move in the house. it was a living nightmare. am i being a baby?
i have been very active up to this point. i think it was a low blood sugar episode. i am looking into having someone come in a couple days a week. very pricey here though. so that is my pity party. welcome your thoughts

babe:mad:

Babe,

Being sore and afraid doesn't make thinking very clear. In about a week, when you feel better, you won't feel so scared and alone. I'm sure it frightened you to no end to be stuck for 3 hours. Keep that battery checked and yes, a cell phone with you will help. Maybe you should have someone nearby call you every hour or so during the day. That way, if you don't answer the phone, they know to take action. Take an anti-inflammatory, if you are allowed (Aleve/naproxen sodium is long-acting whereas Advil/Ibuprofen acts in about 20 minutes.) If you can do a combination per your doctor's direction it will help with the pain and swelling.

We're here - - but, you know that! :flowers:

Aw babetoo,
I'm so sorry you have to feel so scared. My mother is going to be 83 this November. My husband, son and I live with her. We sold our home and moved in with her back in 2003. She was still working at the time, but I knew that was not going to last much longer. Finally at 80+ years old she retired from being the door greeter at Walmart after getting very sick. She was the door greeter in the outdoor garden shop and endured 100+ temps in the summer and 20+ temps in the winter. I am the only one of her 4 children that will help her. My sister also lives with us and when I ask her for assistance her exact words are, "Nope, I've done my time." My one brother lives next door on the same property and the last time he stopped by to see her was mothers day and was only here long enough to hand her a plant that he didn't know what kind it was and say "Happy Mother's Day, I gotta go the grass is getting longer as we speak." I have another brother, but he left 19 years ago angry at my father (who past away 9 years ago) and hasn't seen her since and has only called once that I know of. I care for my mother because (#1) I love her and (#2) I owe her that. She has always been there for me and I will always be there for her. When I hear of adult children ignoring there parents in their senior years it just makes me ill.
My husband was in the same situation with his mother. He also was one of four children and the only one who would take the time to care for his mother.
Do you go to church? My husband was able to find a few kind ladies at her church that set up a schedule to take turns dropping in on her and checking on her, sitting down and having dinner with her. They did so until she had to be moved to an assisted living situation due to Dementia. She past away last November and that is the only time his siblings came around for the funeral and to see if she left them anything in her will. We haven't heard from them since.
My mother also has Dementia and as hard as it is on me, seeing her change into what seems like a stranger at times. I know that my place is with her. She is getting to the point that sometimes she has to ask me who I am and my name.
If I was your granddaughter I would make it a point to contact your children and let them know how serious your situation is. A woman your age should not have to live in fear. I really wish I could drop in and check on you myself.
Let us know how your doing and I'll come to your pity party anytime.

Babetoo, I'm so sorry about your fall! My goodness that sounds terrible! I don't know what the solution is, but I think you have a couple of good suggestions here.

I think its natural to be a bit frightened. I am very impressed though that you are strong enough to not only GET UP, but to make plans and follow through with them to keep yourself safe. Way to go! How about we set something up here babe? If you don't post every day someone will call you and make sure you are OK? PM me if you like.

Alix, that is a really good idea. We do care about you, babe - you know that. If you are giving info to Alix, be sure to include some family phone numbers.

Three hours must have seemed like an eternity to you. I cannot really imagine how scary that must have been and how alone you must feel. You are not being a baby. You have come through a really terrifying experience. I know that your strength will surface and you will feel better as the memory of those three hours fades. You have already taken sensible and practical steps to protect yourself. Have you told your son how frightened you are?

as most of you know by now. i had a very bad fall. i am very sore and bruised . i am 71 years old. is this what happens when we get old? it took me three hours to get up. my alarm necklace had a dead battery.

i am very scared of walking , have a cane and walker and still don't feel safe. my family seems to take it all in stride. i live alone. my granddaughter was only one that came over and she lives any hour away. my son about five minutes. i feel very neglected and abandoned. am i being too worried. i don't think so. i know they have lives of their own but good lord.

i ordered a cell phone and will carry it always when i even move in the house. it was a living nightmare. am i being a baby?
i have been very active up to this point. i think it was a low blood sugar episode. i am looking into having someone come in a couple days a week. very pricey here though. so that is my pity party. welcome your thoughts

babe:mad:
babe i have a phone plan where i pay a flat rate for long distance calls if you'd like you can give me your phone number and i can check in with you. i am awake at all hours around the clock so it will be no bother about the time difference. big hugs and muahhhhhhhhh to you sweetie!! btw are your bruises purple? if so they match my little swollen piggies i smooshed while on vacation (one is still a bit purple). feel better sweetie!!

Babe, Alix idea is a good one. I will gladly call you if it will make you feel safer. I cannot imagine how scared you were Babe, but we need to do something to make things easier for you.Let me know if you'd like me to help. You need to make your doctor understand about your blood glucose..Lows are dangerous in many ways. So, please talk to him again.
kades

Babe, Alix idea is a good one. I will gladly call you if it will make you feel safer. I cannot imagine how scared you were Babe, but we need to do something to make things easier for you.Let me know if you'd like me to help. You need to make your doctor understand about your blood glucose..Lows are dangerous in many ways. So, please talk to him again.
kades
hello kades and good late night/early morning!! i can also call her my long distance plan is a flat rate no matter how many or how long my calls.

hello kades and good late night/early morning!! i can also call her my long distance plan is a flat rate no matter how many or how long my calls.
Great,now Babe can decide and if we take turns maybe we can help a little.
kades

I have a VOIP (Vonage) phone line that I can call anywhere in the US for no extra charge. I can also be a part of the telephone tree and would be so pleased to take my turn.

This does remind me that we do have some members' names and numbers in a private area that only Admins can see. If we don't hear from someone in what we think is a VERY long time, and we are worried, that person has provided us a number of theirs, or a friend/family number, for us to call to check up on them. If anyone wants us to have that information please feel free to PM an Admin with that info. We've been given private e-mails, phone numbers, and in some cases, addresses. This info is strictly confidential and used ONLY if we are very worried.

Babe - Sorry about your fall ,and feelings of isolation. I think one of the things not suggested here is doing a bit of research on what's available locally to you in services, and possible activities that may cost little or nothing.

A quick search turned up this link, and from perusing their site, if they don't have specific ideas/options for you with where you are located, they should be able to put you into contact with those that can.

ElderCarelink - Find Local Assisted Living Facilities, Nursing Homes, Senior Adult Day Care & Home Health Care Providers

Here's a link that might provide some assistance or information based on elder care from your home town.

InHomeCare.com - California Homecare Agencies & Companion Services for the Elderly & Seniors. CA

And as you know, you are in my heart.

Bob

i am overwhelmed by your response. i need to read again and we will figure something out. i would feel safer having u all in my corner.

babe
hello sweetie!! we will take care of you sweets. but due to the fact that i am 3,000 miles away and i am not sure if anyone is local to you we will need some info: your full name, addy and phone number, an emergency contact number, a local hospital number and the number of local emergency response team (police, first aid and fire). you can PM to admin for privacy and then they can get info to us.

I'm sure we can set up a system whereby we rotate calling you at a certain time each day...my only problem would be if our internet isn't working (power failure, etc., which happens more often this time of year, but usually at night). You decide, babe, and maybe Alix can coordinate stuff.

that sounds good to me karen, and that would be wonderful if alix could do that, i would not know where to start. please let me know what u need from me, numbers etc. you are all so kind and i don't feel so alone right now.

hello sweetie!! we will take care of you sweets. but due to the fact that i am 3,000 miles away and i am not sure if anyone is local to you we will need some info: your full name, addy and phone number, an emergency contact number, a local hospital number and the number of local emergency response team (police, first aid and fire). you can PM to admin for privacy and then they can get info to us.

pm this list to me and i will get it done tell me who to send it too.

babe

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom