Netflix question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cheryl J

Chef Extraordinaire
Those of you with Netflix...what device do you use to connect with Netflix to play movies on your TV, and are you happy with it?

I'm asking because I have a Sony BluRay player that I used to use to connect with Netflix. It's only 5 years old. I had Netflix a year or two ago, and then all of a sudden it quit and I could no longer view movies - so I cancelled my subscription to Netflix. It said "error msg...can't connect to internet."

Last week, I decided to renew my subscription to Netflix, with a free month option. My BluRay player again doesn't want to communicate with the internet.

I called Netflix, and they said it was a Sony problem, and they gave me the number to call. I called Sony, and they said they had multiple calls waiting :ermm: so didn't want to walk me through it, and instead sent me an email with....OMG....a million steps to re-configure this mess, that I totally can't figure out.

I tried unplugging everything and re-booting.

Getting to the point where I'm about ready to keep the BluRay for DVD's only, but wondering what else you all use for Netflix. Am I out of date?

Also, I don't have WII, smart TV, or game stations to connect. Any advice?

Last edited:
Sorry, we have a Smart TV. I find we're not watching Netflix a whole lot anymore and have been thinking about cancelling. Besides the fact that for some reason, we are not staying signed in, even though the "remember me" or whatever it is named is checked, and it's getting really annoying having to sign in every time. We've been using Amazon TV services more than Netflix lately. The TV is already set up for Hulu and some other TV service, though I've never looked at either one of them.

We got a ChromeCast device for streaming video on the TV. It plugs into a USB port, you download the app to your phone or tablet, and you can display any video that you can view on your device to the TV. The ChromeCast was $35. Not sure what it costs now.

We use a Roku box in the family room TV. Our bedroom TV has a built-in Netflix app. Our other bedroom uses an Amazon Firestick to view Netflix. They all work well.
My first generation Roku box stopped communicating with my Wi-Fi modem, but that was like 4 years ago....

I use a Roku box, too. I have one attached to every TV I own. Not only does it offer Netflix, but there are also over 1700 other "channels" to choose from, including Hulu, Amazon Prime movies, HBO GO, PBS, and lots of other options. Some channels will cost money, but many are free.

There's so much available, I watch things on the Roku far more often than I do on regular network television.

The Best Roku Channels - Movies, TV, Music, Kids, Sports

I use the wireless streaming sticks from Roku, very inexpensive $39 or less on sale, one downstairs on the tv and one upstairs on the tv. They both run off the same roku account getting their signal from a router which gives us wireless connection to the internet. From there we can connect to Netflix, Amazon Prime, dozens of other channels. We subscribe to Amazon Prime. We don't subscribe to Netflix but we do for free to Vudu--which keeps digital copies of all our bought movie (DVD's) so we don't have to load them into the DVD player.

Roku makes different Roku devices and boxes, some with voice activated controls and other features. The Roku streaming stick comes with a remote and for the inexpensive price, it does a great job. It just plugs into a USB slot on the back or side of the tv, easy to configure, it does it itself, you just need internet service, wireless, and your login, and password to your account.

I know there are ways around to do this but I wish Netflix will allow their streaming contents to be downloadable. I'd like to be able to watch my downloaded streaming movies elsewhere, usually where there's no wi-fi or data available, like when you go camping, for instance...

Generally my Xbox's handle that. the BluRay can as well. So can the TV if I choose (but then I only get tv sound, not surround. ARC is a pain in the back side to use)

I know there are ways around to do this but I wish Netflix will allow their streaming contents to be downloadable. I'd like to be able to watch my downloaded streaming movies elsewhere, usually where there's no wi-fi or data available, like when you go camping, for instance...

When you go camping, you leave the advanced technology behind!

I have a VGA switch on my DW's PC between the PC and monitor. I bought a 25 foot combination VGA and audio cable on eBay. The cable is connected to the VGA input on our TV, and the audio goes to our surround sound input.
To complete the process I bought a wireless mouse so we can control the PC from the couch.

Thanks for all the replies, everyone. Sure gives me something to think about. I fiddled with that @$%!*! thing for nearly 3 hours today and all I managed to do was erase all my icons on the blu ray home page. :shock::censored::mad: :LOL:

According to a Sony message board I was reading, it's common for Blu Rays to just stop communicating with the internet. Frustrating!

Last edited:
Speaking as a retired professional engineer, the most likely reason your bluray player used to work and then quit is probably either (1) it needs a firmware update (think "Windows update") or (2) it cannot connect to your WiFi router. The second is likely if you changed service providers around the time it quit working and are using a router the provider ... uh ... provided. :)

If your bluray is modern enough it should have a setting to check for firmware updates. If it's the router, there will be a section to program in the password etc. to match your router.

If all else fails a really good bluray costs only about $80, I recommend Sony products. A new one will have a lot of new features like Youtube, Amazon, etc.

Gawd, almost everything I own can get Netflix, 2 of my 3 TV sets, both bluray players, 3 Apple TVs... And the sad fact is I have two TV sets that I can't figure out how to operate. The smart TVs are smarter than me! Good thing I can just use the Apple TVs or the bluray players to get that fancy Internet stuff.

Thank you for your reply, Greg.

I tried updating the firmware - didn't work. I still have the same server. Maybe my 5 year old Blu Ray is a dinosaur now, I don't know. Still plays DVD's fine, so I'll hang on to it for now.

I've poured over reviews on the newer Sony Blu Rays, and the average 50-65% approval ratings (with many much lower percentages of unhappy customer reviews) just doesn't cut it with me. I'm thinking I'll probably end up with the Roku as others here use.

Thank you again for your response. :)

I've had good luck with my Sony gear including both blurays. Now if only I could figure out how to operate my Samsung smart TVs. Durn things are smarter than me! ... And me too old to have children! ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom