New Food Safety Bill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Visit my blog for more info, the senate passed a bill last night that puts Homeland Security in charge of farming. Some are saying that it is going to kill the family farm, others are saying that it will drive the cost of food way up, and there are thoughts that GMOs will be very common on our shelves.

I have heard positive comments (safety) and negative comments (government telling you what you are/are not allowed to grow). I definitely need to read up on it more to be able to form a real opinion.

:huh:Barbara

I have done a little reading, and this bill essentally allows Homeland Security to control the food supply. It is cause for concern it you utilize local farms and grow your own foods. While in some ways it will help to promote safety, but it will also take the home out of homegrown, buy holding mid-sized farms to the standards of commercial farms. I am ok with taking a chance to have raw milk or buy my honey that doesn't come from a bear. I would prefer to know where my food comes from and develop relationships with the grower.

I've also heard that if you sell veggies from your garden even it only to neighbors you will be subject to IRS and all the regs of the big guys. So those folks with large yards that grow gardens for a little extra money won't be able to sell their produce. While I'm all for food safety, I think our society has gotten a bit paranoid about it. We have become a very risk-averse community. It makes one wonder how we managed to survive through the centuries without all the "safety" features we employ today.

I have done a little reading, and this bill essentally allows Homeland Security to control the food supply. It is cause for concern it you utilize local farms and grow your own foods. While in some ways it will help to promote safety, but it will also take the home out of homegrown, buy holding mid-sized farms to the standards of commercial farms. I am ok with taking a chance to have raw milk or buy my honey that doesn't come from a bear. I would prefer to know where my food comes from and develop relationships with the grower.

Can you point to where in the bill it says anything about homeland security controlling the food supply?

Or about the IRS?

Sure, From the bill- (Sec. 109) Directs the Secretary of Homeland Security (DHS) to report annually on the activities of the Food and Agriculture Government Coordinating Council and the Food and Agriculture Sector Coordinating Council.

Many did not survive.

True. =) Now we're so pumped full of chemicals and other such non-food nonsense that we're as well preserved as Twinkies. Our shelf-life has certainly been extended.

I'm skeptical at best; the FDA tends to have the highest bidder's (or lobbiest or corporation or whatever) best interests at heart, not the lowly consumers.

Visit my blog for more info, the senate passed a bill last night that puts Homeland Security in charge of farming. Some are saying that it is going to kill the family farm, others are saying that it will drive the cost of food way up, and there are thoughts that GMOs will be very common on our shelves.

The bill you reference has not yet been ratified by the house and while there has been mention of this bill in the terms that you reference, reading the actual bill reveals that Sen. Jon Tester, D-Mont., offered an amendment exempting most local food providers and small farmers from new federal regulations as long as the growers complied with local rules and their produce was not connected to active outbreaks of illness.

The Senate accepted the amendment and approved the overall bill 73 to 25 on Tuesday. The House must approve it, either outright or through conference committee and the President must sign it before it becomes law. There ars still parliamentary issues with this bill as well.

We are a long way from actual law on this and there are still many changes to be made. Most would agree that the FDA needs an assist. Without the legal clout to back up current regs and funding to meet current guidelines they have become fairly ineffective. All the while we have a food supply system that is showing increasing signs of instability.

It should be interesting to watch this evolve and in the meantime we can help by holding our local suppliers (grocers, etc) more accountable for good handling practices. Market demand can help impact suppliers practices - witness the upsurge of 'green grocers' and specialty grocery stores. Stay safe, eat well and ... wash yer lettuce :chef:

Back
Top Bottom