New Game: Mondegreen For You

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

appletart

Sous Chef
A mondegreen is the misinterpretation of a line or lyric in a song due to homophony. The results can be funny ..Add yours here and state where it originally comes from!

Example of a mondegreen: There's a bathroom on the right - (the line at the end of each verse of "Bad Moon Rising" by Creedence Clearwater Revival: "There's a bad moon on the rise")

Or: The dogs say good night - (the line in the song "What a Wonderful World" by George Davdid Weiss and Bob Thele) "the dark sacred night"

so. I don't know the real name of the song but Paul and I always sing "secret Asain man" instead of Secret Agent man...

I think it's Johnny Rivers' Secret Agent Man?..very funny pdswife!!

When my mom was a kid, instead of singing "Michael row the boat ashore," she sang, "Like a motorboat ashore."

I think it was my sister, or maybe a friend, who sang "Angel Aquarium" for "Age of Aquarius."

:)Barbara

I almost forgot, when I was a kid I thought Buck Owens was singing, "I don't know you poor madam," when he was really singing, "I don't know you from Adam." (Song--"A-11," "I don't know you from Adam, but if you're going to play the jukebox, please don't play A-11").

:)Barbara

One well known song actually got renamed for its mondegreen. As I heard the story, In a Gadda Da Vida was originally "In the Garden of Eden", but one day a janitor at their rehearsal space asked them to play "that in a gadda da vida song". They all got a laugh, and the name stuck.

so. I don't know the real name of the song but Paul and I always sing "secret Asain man" instead of Secret Agent man...

I do that too!!!

There's a newer country song by Phil Vassar... can't think of the title right now, but its about a wedding.....
The line is supposed to be "tie the cans to the back of the limosine....."
DH says it sounds like "tie the KIDS to the back of that limosine..."!

Wishful thinking? :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, or Jimmi Hendrix, 'scuse me while I kiss this guy.....

Heartlands ~ I Loved Her First

It says "a love of a father runs deep" but I always here "the love of a father on speed" and according to the radio station, I'm not the only one. :)

As a child I sang

Silent night, holy night
All is calm, all is bright

Round John Virgin, Mother and Child

...made perfect sense to me:)

My husband use to go to the "Baptisium Pond " after Church when he was a kid and watch. Thought they said The Father, the Son "and into the hole he goes" ( and the Holy Ghost)

And then we have Row Row Row your boat....instead of life's is but a dream he sang life's a butter bean. ( he was raised in North Carolina...and they raised their own food so he ate lots of butter beans.)He actually thought that was what the song said.[/B]:LOL:

Last edited:
Until I had kids, i always wondered what " lamsey divey" was, until that nursery rhyme or whatever, " little Lambs Eat Ivy". Didnt I feel like a meat ball when i heard my wife singing it .

Until I had kids, i always wondered what " lamsey divey" was, until that nursery rhyme or whatever, " little Lambs Eat Ivy". Didnt I feel like a meat ball when i heard my wife singing it .

Larry:

That song was written with nonesense words. I googled the lyrics and every site gave a different version. Most supported your version. None mentioned lambs eating ivy.

Funny i never had a problem with lambs eat ivy, but I always thought the beginning was marezeedotes and gozeedotes.

Back
Top Bottom