New HDTV!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Laptop? I didn't know this was included? Now I know why they all want this thing. I thought for tv shows but laptop? You think that is fair? I am going to ask for one to be put in my bedroom so I can watch tv if they put laptops on there. Kids! Know all the angles.

Laptop? I didn't know this was included? Now I know why they all want this thing. I thought for tv shows but laptop? You think that is fair? I am going to ask for one to be put in my bedroom so I can watch tv if they put laptops on there. Kids! Know all the angles.

ITK, I already have the laptop. If I want to, I can connect it to the new TV (or even my old TV) and use the TV as the computer screen.

I just ordered a Sony Bravia 52" HDTV (KDL52XBR4) online. I am eagerly waiting for delivery. I did a lot of shopping around and found a really good price that included a surge protector and HDMI cable.

I visited three electronics chains and the online price was $500 less than the least expensive store price, and they all wanted in excess of $100 for the HDMI cable I got for free. This is an outrageous gouge!

The Red Sox season and Summer Olympics should be great on this new set.

Can't wait to get it and hook it up. Gotta call the cable company next.

Big thank yous to all of you who shared your research, caveats and knowledge with me on this subject. I feel I was a lot better prepared as a result.

I just bought a Sony Bravia 26-inch flat screen HD two weeks ago. I got the last one that was in the box from Best Buy.

When I went back there today to get another -3-jack cable that didn't come with the DVR, the Sony on display was gone! This though, is my first Sony TV in years.

But along with it came some disadvantages; It made the VCR obsolete by not being able to record from it, so I was forced to buy a DVR for recording. It plays good though Comcast's HD cable box!

Last edited:
Lower Price?

Don't you think these tv's should drop in price soon? Just wonder how you get them repaired or do you just toss them too? Seems like this is the big thing now and will we have more problems than we can pay for? I can remember our first tv and it was black and white. Loved Mr Rogers. My favorite program. I just wonder if the kids today would still like him?

Well, guess can't worry ahead of time. Only think we should get bigger one since we are attaching it to the wall.

Actually the price has dropped dramatically ITK. They are still very expensive compared to regular TV's, but 5 years ago Andy's TV would have cost 10k or more.

Actually the price has dropped dramatically ITK. They are still very expensive compared to regular TV's, but 5 years ago Andy's TV would have cost 10k or more.

And you can rest assured I did not pay that much!

Congrats, Andy!

I know I am late on this...

I have a 46 in JVC HDLCD 1080p and feel it is the best purchase I have made in a long time. HD ROCKS!!!!!!! It REALLY rocks for sports! And I ordered the Planet Earth on Blue ray and was blown away. Amazing!

I love the MOJO Channel too!

Don't you think these tv's should drop in price soon? Just wonder how you get them repaired or do you just toss them too? Seems like this is the big thing now and will we have more problems than we can pay for? I can remember our first tv and it was black and white. Loved Mr Rogers. My favorite program. I just wonder if the kids today would still like him?

Well, guess can't worry ahead of time. Only think we should get bigger one since we are attaching it to the wall.

Our first one was also a b&w console model back in the '50s. In the '60s, it was a portable b&w. Then, one by one, we ALL started buying our own TV's,
though still b&w. Back then, Olympic was the brand that we all bought from discount store like Lechmere.

No one could afford color yet. I didn't get my first color TV until '82.

I took out an extended warranty on mine for like three years. And I don't have to lug the unit to a repair shop. A technician will be sent out, should one be needed.

It's really the giant theater-like plasma models that will cost you a fortune! You can get a good quality 26" unit for about $599.00 to $699.00.

Regular or analog TV's are no longer in production, as you may already know.

Those ones that you might still see for sale in stores like Best Buy, Circuit City and other stores are pretty much leftovers marked way below their regular prices because the stores are trying to move them out the door.

These models still provide great reception when hooked up to cable or satelite, but they are extremely heavy and you are forced to pay to have it delivered to your house. They are also now too cumbersome and space-robbing! They demand a considerable amount of living room real estate.

I was going to go this route again, but I thought to myself, that since I had the money to spend, why NOT go HD? Besides, an HD flat screen uses far less space than those dinosaur regular TV's do! And if you get a 20" model and have to carry it home, it's almost as light as a feather!

And if you don't have cable or satelite service by next February, you'll have to get a special converter box for local reception, or your TV can't be viewed. Flat screen or otherwise. You'll still need the rabbit ears though.

I carried my flat screen on public transportation home. The whole country has gone HD digital TV. Analog TV has gone bye-bye.

Last edited:
A very large heavy cardboard box arrived on a truck today. I have it tucked into a corner of the LR. I hope to uncrate it tomorrow.

Yesterday SIL and I moved the old oak entertainment center to the family room which is one floor down. I almost crushed him on the way down. We pick up the new TV console tomorrow.

The cable guy comes to Friday so I will be up and running for the weekend. I signed up for an extended digital package and the sports package so I won't be lacking for shows to watch.

I think its about time for us to upgrade, starting to have issues seeing the whole screen. Some programs have scores or information at the top or bottom of the screen and it is being cut off.

That's exactly why I pulled the trigger NAchef. I couldn't take watching Netflix movies anymore as if I was watching them on a 20" set.

I can't believe you didn't take the day off, Andy..... :neutral:
Major purchases entitle you to that.....

pacanis, I work at home taking care of my grandson. We'll get it opened today and be ready to have my SIL lift it onto the console tonight.

Andy M., You're going to love the different sizes you can adjust your screen, the depth, the color, even the cartoons that you and your grandson may watch are going to be awesome!!! We have a HDTV 42" plasma in our LR and really notice the difference.

Andy just a little tip. If/when your grandson gets hand prints on the screen, they come off very easily with a damp lint free cloth and gentle circular motions. My daughter got her little hands all over the screen one day and I was terrified to try to clean it so I left them there for months. When I did finally get up the courage to clean it though it was very easy did no damage at all.

pacanis, I work at home taking care of my grandson. We'll get it opened today and be ready to have my SIL lift it onto the console tonight.

Cool :cool:
I wouldn't have the patience to wait that long, but that will give you time to read the manual. I still haven''t looked at my manual yet :LOL:

I can connect it tonight but will not be getting an HD picture. When the cable guy brings the digital HD box, then the magic begins.

I'm having a rough time trying to hook up the DVR to mine.

Had to schedule an appointment for a Comcast technician to come out this Friday!

Back
Top Bottom