New identity theft.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoAnn L.

Master Chef
Someone claiming to be a "jury coordinator" calls and threatens that a warrant has been issued for your arrest. They say you forgot to show up for jury duty. If you say you did not receive a summons, the scammer demands your Social Security number and date of birth to help "verify" the information and cancel the arrest warrant.
They say it sounds official, but the judicial system does not contact people by telephone. So beware everyone.

I am getting rid of my phone.... seriously.... and I am restricting my cell phone to only accept calls that are in my address book. I am so sick and tired of the scams! Thanks for the heads up girlie!

JoAnn L. said:
Someone claiming to be a "jury coordinator" calls and threatens that a warrant has been issued for your arrest. They say you forgot to show up for jury duty. If you say you did not receive a summons, the scammer demands your Social Security number and date of birth to help "verify" the information and cancel the arrest warrant.
They say it sounds official, but the judicial system does not contact people by telephone. So beware everyone.

If I'd received this kind of phone call, I would be suspicious from the get-go. Wouldn't even dignify the caller by answering any of his/her questions, especially when SSN is mentioned. I NEVER give that information unless I know who is asking and even then I don't always give it because it's not always relevant. Sometimes it's because "it's always been on the form" and isn't needed any longer.

I'm sure there are instances where court officials might contact you over the phone, but certainly not in a situation like this (to solicit personal information).

This is a real scam. Never give out personal information over the phone to someone you don't know. If they are legitimate there will be a way for you to call their organization back and continue the discussion.

I just went in for a jury selection last week. We were informed that the people that did not show would be contacted and could receive $1000 in fines and up to a year in jail!
They ask why you were not there first before an arrest warren t, they would not need your SSN (SIN in Canada) and if they had your phone number they would have had your address so you would have received a summons in the mail in the first place.

If you ever get a call that you think is suspicious ask to call them back - if they can not give you a number then you don't want to talk to them.

Poutine said:
If you ever get a call that you think is suspicious ask to call them back - if they can not give you a number then you don't want to talk to them.

But, therein lies the problem. If you ask for a number, they will probably give you one. They have phone lines set up ( and manned, or personned:LOL: ). They will answer as if they really were the law. You can take down the number, but don't call it. Pass it on to the officials.

Is is easy to reverse check a number.

Last edited:
Identity Theft: [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Tips that will help minimize your risk.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1. Before you reveal any personally identifying information, find out how it will be used and if it will be shared.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2. Pay attention to your billing cycles. Follow up with creditors if your bills don't arrive on time. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]3. Guard your mail. Deposit outgoing mail in post office collection boxes or at your local post office. Promptly remove mail from your mailbox after delivery. Ensure mail is forwarded or re-routed if you move or change your mailing address.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4. Utilize passwords on your credit card, bank and phone accounts. Avoid using easily available information like your mother's maiden name, your birth date, the last four digits of your SIN or your phone number.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]5. Minimize the identification information and number of cards you carry.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]6. Do not give out personal information on the phone, through the mail or over the internet unless you have initiated the contact or know whom you're dealing with.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]7. Keep items with personal information in a safe place. An identity thief will pick through your garbage or recycling bins. Be sure to tear or shred receipts, copies of credit applications, insurance forms, physician statements and credit offers you get in the mail.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]8. Give your SIN only when absolutely necessary. Ask to use other types of identifiers when possible. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]9. Don't carry your SIN card; leave it in a secure place.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Welcome to PhoneBusters
[/FONT]

Poutine said:
Identity Theft: [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Tips that will help minimize your risk.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4. Utilize passwords on your credit card, bank and phone accounts. Avoid using easily available information like your mother's maiden name, your birth date, the last four digits of your SIN or your phone number.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

Another "guard" I can add to protecting your credit/debit cards is to write on the back of them "ask for photo ID." This way when you use your credit/debit card, the vendor should also ask to see your driver's license or such. This way the photo and signature/name of the card should match.

I have Caller ID on my telephone so when anyone calls I can see their name and telephone number.

Some have Private Caller and Unknown Caller but when I am home I try to screen all my calls.

I didnt have time to read the entire thread, but never give out info if someone call YOU! No matter how legit they may sound, just ask them to send it in writing, get their name, address too, and phone number, website if applicable.

I have caller id too, but sometimes a number will not show up, but you can do a trace of a phone number online. (reverse trace, or try who called us). ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom