New Top Chef Show, Opinions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I thought it was pretty lame that three of them chose lamb. I would've done a duo of venison and foie gras. That would've been pretty cool though to cook for all of those chefs.

Out of the remaining three, I hope that Harold can pull it off and win.

Last edited:
I was really looking forward to the show, but couldn't make it through the first episode. Has it improved since then?

vyapti said:
I was really looking forward to the show, but couldn't make it through the first episode. Has it improved since then?

Very much so because those who didn't have talent were weeded off early. From about the Ted Allen episode on were the chefs that really had the talent and creativity.

ironchef, if they do another season (which I certainly hope they do) would you ever consider auditioning? You'd be a good candidate, imo.

As for the lamb, when I saw the three grasping at it, I knew Dave was a shoe-in. I wish Leanne could have made it rather than the ultra-uptight Tiffani.

jkath said:
ironchef, if they do another season (which I certainly hope they do) would you ever consider auditioning? You'd be a good candidate, imo.

As for the lamb, when I saw the three grasping at it, I knew Dave was a shoe-in. I wish Leanne could have made it rather than the ultra-uptight Tiffani.

Yeah, if I can take off from work for that long. But seriously, I think what the criteria that they probably look for is more personality first, diversity second, and talent third. That's the only reason I can think of why half of the orignal cast even made it on the show. Most reality shows probably do that to keep the drama up there and the viewers interested.

If I was on this show, I probably would've gone postal on Stephen or Dave. I'm usually very low key and patient in the kitchen--go with the flow and whatever happens, happens; adapt and move on--but between Dave freaking out and Stephen's screw ups (not making sure the spoons were washed/labels removed would've seriously pissed me off), something would've set me off. Until the wedding dinner episode, I really thought Stephen was one of the top guys but when they showed him prepping, it was obvious that he could never cut it in a busy kitchen. Up till that point they never really showed Stephen working, just his finished products which were usually better and more creative than any of the other chefs.

Chef, anyone and their sister would've gone postal on Steven. The guy's ego was so inflated it's amazing he didn't pop when he got near the ovens. Granted his plates were pretty, but looked more like artwork than food imo. (Like I want to eat food in stripes and shot glasses every time?)
You still ought to think about it. They need another calm person, since Harold will be gone next season (hopefully with a title!)

jkath, I actually went to the website and applied just for the h.ell of it. I wonder what the challenges will be next season.
Did anyone catch the catfight episode last night? Poor Tiffani :LOL: But, hey, if you're going to dish it out, you're going to have to be able to take it. If you're going to sit there and be hypocritical of everything you've done, you deserve anything that comes your way.

Mud - they're replaying that episode many times this week - check the listings. Oh my it was a goodie!!!
After seeing all the folks in a more comfortable way I've decided that Steven is a fantastic person after all. It takes a very special person to admit he was being a boorish snob, and to publicly apologize to Candace, saying he was completely at fault. Cheers to him. Andrea showed her class, as always. Never once did she put anyone down, rather, poked fun at herself (saying she was really good at getting kicked off!)
The T-Shirt! Dave getting the t-shirt with his infamous catch phrase that he said to Tiffani - classic. But the fact Tiffani wanted to take the limelight for it - egads. I love that she was finally caught in her lie.
Wonderful TV.

Ironchef- I'm so proud of you! Way to go!!!

I was really sorry to see Dave bite the dust before Tiffani - but when he failed to produce the 3rd dish on the 3rd order - I knew he was gone regardless of the tasting results. The way the judging went ... if he had even produced a cheese/fruit/nut plate anything to have a 3rd dish I think he would have been safe and Tiffani would have packed her knives and gone away.

But - that didn't happen.

I still think Lee Ann is more talented than Tiffani.

I've been watching this from the beginning and I've been rooting for Harold, Dave, and Lee Ann. I've watched their cooking - and their personalities - that's why these were my favs.

Given it's down to Harold and Tiffani ... I'm rooting for Harold! I just hope he can overcome his laid back attitude and adopt some of Tiffani's killer instinct!

ironchef said:
This is the restaurant that Harold was the Sous Chef at:

http://www.theharrison.com/harrison.html

Not only a wonderful place, but their website is as impressive.

Michael, my sentiments exactly. I was yelling at the TV: Dave! You've got 45 seconds! Throw some fruit on a plate!
I can't believe she won by default. I still adore Dave.

Ironchef! Did you catch Tiffani's comments when told that the Poker Players didn't think her meal was poker-appropriate? She said something like "well, if they become better poker players, maybe they'll appreciate this kind of food" or something like that. Did you SEE who one of the players was????!
None other than Phil Helmuth himself. HA!
She'll kick herself for that one.

jkath said:
Not only a wonderful place, but their website is as impressive.

Michael, my sentiments exactly. I was yelling at the TV: Dave! You've got 45 seconds! Throw some fruit on a plate!
I can't believe she won by default. I still adore Dave.

Ironchef! Did you catch Tiffani's comments when told that the Poker Players didn't think her meal was poker-appropriate? She said something like "well, if they become better poker players, maybe they'll appreciate this kind of food" or something like that. Did you SEE who one of the players was????!
None other than Phil Helmuth himself. HA!
She'll kick herself for that one.

As much as I dislike Tiffani, Dave's inability to cope with pressure and perform in clutch situations is such a big issue. The fact that he could not buckle down and just put out anything, well, sorry to say but he did not deserve to advance.

Tiffani is just something else. Through all of her attitudes displayed throughout this competition, I really hope employers are smart enough not to hire her. She is one of those people who are extremely ignorant, and are actually proud of that fact.

I do think the show did lose some integrity when the judges decided to knock Lee Anne off the show. I'm sure that Tiffani brings in more ratings than any other contestant due to her attitude and the drama it brings, but the top three chefs were not in the final, and that's the bottom line. I realize that a lot of politics are involved, and there are a lot of things that they do not show us, but having Tiffani over Lee Anne is just as bad as making Bobby Flay an Iron Chef. I realize that Iron Chef America is backed by FoodTV, but Bobby Flay isn't even one of the top 15 chefs in New York City, much less the country. If anyone has noticed, after Bobby Flay got his butt kicked during his first few matches (after he beat Rick Bayless), they've made things a lot easier for him with who he faces, the "secret" ingredient, the judges, etc.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom