New Year's Eve

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Five of my friends and I are going to an upscale restaurant (we do this every year) then to our local theater to see Seven Pounds, then back to Anne's house for drinks, and appetizers, and desserts. We have a great time on NY Eve and I'm thankful for my fun friends. We're all single so we only have to please ourselves.

Last edited by a moderator:
The wife just reminded me that last New Year was actually spent at the church. We had supper there, then alternated watching movies and eating snacks till after midnight. The movies were the Tribulation Trilogy.

Just to clarify why I call dh a pooper. He use to leave me at home when my boys were growing up and now that they are grown he is done with "those days" and I am ready to begin.

i hardly ever make it til midnight anymore. will have a drink and toast myself for the new year. sometimes my kids,grown up kid, go to the local park for an event called "first night" music and so on, no alcohol i get to cold to go anymore. old age an't for sissys.

The wife just reminded me that last New Year was actually spent at the church. We had supper there, then alternated watching movies and eating snacks till after midnight. The movies were the Tribulation Trilogy.
Sounds like a great night! I love those movies.

:)Barbara

This year we are in for something new and different...10 teenagers (14 and 15) taking over our basement for their own New Years Eve celebration. Pray for us. They are all good kids so I'm not terribly worried, but Ken and I don't stay up late so hopefully the 12:30 "boot out" will stick.

Usually made a pot of his grandfather's fondue and ate fondue and drank champagne as the ball dropped.
This is what we usually do too. 5 years ago we moved into our house on NYE. The only thing we could find among our boxes was out fondue set so we decided that would be a good thing to eat that night. Now that we have the kids we stay home that night anyway so we usually still do fondue. We sit on the floor and make it like a picnic.

Oh good luck with that Alix. You guys must have the patience of a saint lol

I don't know about that...mostly we just like the kids to be safe and we know for sure they will be safe here. And I remember all too well those years of feeling like I was grown up enough to celebrate with my friends but not having anywhere to go. I want our place to be where they want to be.

and you must be very very brave!

Now bravery might be in order, or at least a couple sets of earplugs.

I have never been a New Year's person. I have slept through many of them. But for the last 5 years we go to some friends' house and have dinner, talk, play games, watch midnight roll in on the television, say goodnight and come home. It is a wonderful night.

My friend has MS and with it very severe vertigo so she doesn't go out much. So, we have been having New Years Eve and many Dinner and a movie nights always at their house but we trade off who makes dinner. This year they are doing dinner and I am doing appetizers and dessert.

I always look forward to this evening, not for what it represents but for the wonderful time we have with dear friends.

Before kids I would go to concerts for New Years. Those were always so very fun shows. I miss the music and the fun, but I do not miss the craziness of being out on that night. Too many times we had direct contact (and I do mean physical contact) with drunk drivers.

We just made a reservation at a small neighborhood restaurant for dinner along with my brother and his wife. The chef/owner is having a private party by reservation only, and will serve a gourmet dinner from soup to nuts for $46 per couple. He doesn't have a liquor license, but that doesn't matter to us. He's a young guy with a great homestyle menu, and is looking forward to treating his customers with some "mighty fine groceries" at a good price. As he told me yesterday, "you won't see any of this on the daily menu."

After dinner we'll probably go home and try to stay awake for the ball.

our best partying years are behind us as well. we're going out to dinner at 6pm; probably a japanese hibachi place near home. then i have to be at work by 11pm for a double shift. :neutral:

since we didn't get to do it for christmas, dw and my boy are coming in to the city to meet me on new years day, then we'll go see the tree in rockefeller center and go to dinner from there. i hope the sea grill is open. (thanks june :)).

i think our most fun years were coming in to the city just before thay closed "the box" around times square, going to an 8pm show, then going to frankie and johnnies, sardi's, or many years ago mama leone's for dinner. if you timed it right, you stumbled out into the cold night, only having to walk a half block to stand with all of the frozen crazy people for a few minutes to watch the ball drop. then, while the mad rush egressed the city, we'd duck back into the restaurant that we'd just left for a nightcap.

oh, as far as drunk drivers go, my dad calls new years eve amateurs night".

New Years eve is a quiet affair for us.

We nibble at some appetizers, drink a little wint, talk some, follow that with a couple lobsters and off to bed.

We have been known to even do the lobsters the next day.

It's a coin toss whether we make the ball drop or not.

AC

I will be working as a doorman checking IDs at a local watering hole/club I am also the bar back... I have been doing this for the last 5 years. I must remember to take my scanner with me so I can listen to the police ems freqs in my earphone.

This year we are in for something new and different...10 teenagers (14 and 15) taking over our basement for their own New Years Eve celebration. Pray for us. They are all good kids so I'm not terribly worried, but Ken and I don't stay up late so hopefully the 12:30 "boot out" will stick.

Brave brave Alix and Ken!!:ohmy::ermm::LOL:

Back
Top Bottom