Next foodnetwork star anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amber

Executive Chef
I've been watching this show on and off. It's down to two men, Guy or Reggie. You can watch both videos on foodnetwork. I think Guy is more dynamic, and Reggie put me off in his video when he said "ok ladies". Plenty of men like to cook, so that just turned me off right there. Thoughts?:chef:

Yes. I'm all about Guy winning. I have been since the first episode. I like his brash style.

I was definitely in the "Anybody but Nathan or Carissa" camp, especially after Peggy Lee, whom I can't *stand*, gushed all over Nathan. :sick:

I think we have seen the philosophy of, "if you can't dazzle them with your brilliance - baffle them with your best BS" in action. Reggie is a pastry cook - doesn't know squat about cookery (and his "sassy" and "here girls" stick really turns me off) - and Guy is still too busy trying to cozy up to the professional cooks and missing the intended audience - home cooks.

Oh well ... did anyone else ever see Emeril's first live on TV episode on "How To Boil Water"? It was soooo bad you just had to watch!

I think, given the options, I might have watched Nathan and given him time to get his TV legs ... if Guy wins ... I'll probably watch as much as I did the guys that won the last time (once or twice .. maybe) ... if Reggie wins, I just hope there is a good cooking show on PBS or a baseball game.

Something similar, although we will not be subjected to a weekly series of fax paus - on BRAVO they have a similar contest going - Top Chef. I guess I keep watching this train-wreck because I want to see Stephen and Miguel 86'ed. I'm rooting for the underdog, Dave. The boy just needs to get on some medication to get his emotions under control!

Last edited:
For me its Guy all the way.
The women were not up to the task technically... even the California girl's only act was "I was in France for a while"-- big deal.
Reggie lacks technical ability. Guy seems to know his stuff. Nathan? Give me a break, what a stuck-up, self promoting a$$.
As for aiming a show to the home market... duh... I want MY home cooking to be better, more professional and more accomplished.
I suppose I am different. I watch Food Network to learn how to cook better- not for general entertainment, except for me, that is entertainment.
Guy!, Guy!, show me some tricks...

Guy is still too busy trying to cozy up to the professional cooks and missing the intended audience - home cooks.

Really? I don't see it, regardless of what Bobby Flay might think. Though his terminology may be a bit heavy at times, all that takes is a little blurb at the bottom explaining what he means when he says it. That way I'm learning what he's talking about so when I read it in a book or on a website I better understand it.

I see a conundrum here. I see people complaining, saying things like "Well, Rachael Ray isn't a professional chef, so she shouldn't be doing a cooking show/she isn't credible" but then I see "Guy's trying to cozy up to the professionals, because he owns restaurants and has culinary training." I think there's room for both, and I think that, in the end, Guy wins it and I think he'll make a positive impact because of his professional, but unusual, take on things.

I agree that the women weren't up to snuff. Not even Carissa. What really turned me off to Carissa and Nathan were their "I'm beautiful" attitudes. On their individual profiles, which I can't seem to find now, they both said something to the effect of, "I deserve to be the TNFNS because I'm a good cook and I am attractive." Puhleeeaasseee... Neither of the finalists is attractive in a standard manner, but I think both are good at what they do.

I really did enjoy Sofrito while she was on the show, though. I liked her different view on food and the Latin infusion she gave everything. It was refreshing, even though she didn't really have the skills to go farther. I'd love to see all of the former contestants as guests on the network every once in a while. I think that would be a hoot.

I found their profiles. Here's Carissa's:

I’m a young, single, sexy 30-something/Sex in the City type that is looking for love, having a blast cooking and traveling and enjoying all that life has to offer. We need a young, fresh, flirty, fun gal to mix it up and reach a younger audience that may get bored watching the Food Network. I’m here to spice it up, get crazy and fun and have a ball doing it together.

Here's Nate Dog's:

I’m well read, good looking and a great teacher

Like I said... Puhhhhlleeeeeeeeaaaassssssseeeeeee...

I think Andy might have a future somewhere, though. He really seems to love cooking, have a lot of knowledge and a desire to be even better. While he doesn't have the TV persona necessary, I hope he gets recognized for his skills.

kleenex said:
I would pick Guy over Reggie. I thought Reggie is kinda gay.

It's based on cooking abilities, not sexuality:LOL: As I mentioned above, Reggie was speaking more in terms of a female audience, but really there are so many men that also watch foodtv, so that put me off. Guy is able to cover his time, make a meal, but he is a bit arrogant as someone else mentioned. Anyway, its fun to watch on occassion.:chef:

:) Im with you on that one. I hate cameras!Except to film or take pictures of other people,pets and everything else.
I always joke with people if you want a picture of me go to the Post Office and check the 10 most wanted list.:LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom