No kids, how come?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I was thinking the same thing as I was reading this!!!! One thing in dogs' favor - they will never wreck your car.

My sister's jack russel ate th back seat upholstery and THE ENTIRE dash board of her car. :ermm: and then did the same to hr next car:rolleyes::ohmy:

i'm undecided. i have school & $$ issues that preceed kiddos. i want them dearly, i just need to be at that right spot. i'm considering motherhood, 'cept not till i'm like 35 & pulled together & healthy again.

Last edited:
I was never interested much in kids. Spent 8 years with a woman who had
2, and NEVER SHOULD HAVE. She was not a Mom, never developed that
unconditional Motherly love thing.
After we failed, I thought long and hard about it, and decided that I wasn't a Dad,
either.
No urge to pass on the genes.
Absolutely positively CAN NOT stand howling kids, kids who don't behave. I know,
without a doubt, that having a teenager would be the death of me... or him/her, LOL!
Luckily, I found me a wonderful wife who feels the same way. Got myself permanently
removed from the gene pool potential about 9 years ago.
Pity... both of us are quite smart with great work ethics and morals, LOLOLOLOL!
(That last line is humor, ark ark ark. True, but humor!!!!)

edit to add: Include me in the "Pets are my kids" crew... see my photo album, LOL!
I have 2 daughters!

Last edited:
OMG, thanks for the huge laugh JP and Lulu!!! Dogs as freeloaders! I love it. And Lulu, if you could see the inside of my minivan - your sister's dog's got nothing on my crew. But I don't think they actually ate the upholstery.

I believe children are a wonderful blessing, and I am glad I had my daughter (wanted more but was divorced young). However, I hate it when people try to pressure people who don't want kids. That is too personal a decision for us to push them for change. There is always a chance that they will change their minds later, and if they don't, it is none of our business. Sometimes people give into the pressure to have children when they really don't want them. Then everyone is surprised when they turn out to be terrible parents, or indifferent parents (this is not to say that everyone who chooses not to have kids would be a bad parent). Those who know me know that I love to use analogies. One I see here is cooking. If someone expresses absolutely no interest in cooking, in fact loathes the idea of it, and you pressure them to cook--would you be surprised when they burn the meat, undercook the rice, and burn their fallen cake? No. Well, we also shouldn't be surprised when people pressured to become parents aren't nominated for parent of the year.

We each have our reasons for wanting to have children and for not wanting to have children. Some don't want to bear the children themselves but choose to adopt. Some are happy to see their nieces and nephews now and then. Whatever our choice, it is personal and it is fine.

:)Barbara

Nick and I won't be having children for another few years, and I told him I want us to get married first and he agreed. We both want to be financially ready, and ready TOGETHER before we bring a child into our world. Nick will be an amazing dad :) He has a childish side and whenever he goes to his tutoring sessions he comes back as silly as ever! I'm also pretty silly too but more reserved, but I'm sure when I have a child I won't give a hoot what anyone thinks as long as he/she is happy!

Having children is not a necessary part of life. It is a decision that should be made carefully or you could be in for a lot of suprises.

I have to say that having children is a necessary part of life. At least, somebody has to have children or else we wouldn't exist. That being said, she's right that the decision should be made carefully. A person should be ready and willing to care for the children. I also feel sad for your friend, DramaQueen, who has children and does not want them. I particularly feel bad for the children. I truly believe that having children is important but loving them is more important. If a person cannot give their children a loving home than I suppose it is better not to have them. Too many problems in society stem from unloved children.

I always liked Ann Lander's advice to couples who were always being pestered by "Why aren't you having kids yet and she'd advise them to respond "Why in the world would you want to know that?" In other words every couple has their own unique interdynamics and agenda and if it includes kids fine and if it doesn't fine.......noone should be judged by whether or not they want or do not want children. I had two and and they are wonderful adults......growing up with them was not the most of fun and thrills at times but they did bring a lot of fun and joy at the same time.....the teens were the pits. Would I want children now? No way----kid screamed and cried on and off the whole way from Frankfurt to KZ------mother was an idiot-------kept telling her that she was muy malo----very bad---yep just what a 3 year old wants to be told.........I wanted to smack the mother........but the child kept hitting a nerve in the back of my neck, too.......would have put up with it 20 years ago but not today...so everybody is different..........only point I will make here, ladies, if you really want to have a child but are putting it off until your mid30's and beyond, do realize that the biological clock ticks geometrically and not yearly.....you will reach a point in your genetic makeup where becoming pregnant may not work out for you........so keep in close contact with your gyns and have hormonal tests done to be sure that you're still fit and sound to keep putting it off........I actually had a friend who was in full menopause at aged 38 and had had 3 miscarriages. Her mother had her last one at age 39. So just beware of the consequences of waiting too late. And believe me you don't want a teen in during menopause (quote by my very wise Mother-in-law)

OMG, thanks for the huge laugh JP and Lulu!!! Dogs as freeloaders! I love it. And Lulu, if you could see the inside of my minivan - your sister's dog's got nothing on my crew. But I don't think they actually ate the upholstery.
:) I always say my truck is nothing more than a dog house on wheels.

Our young generation are so heavily in debt that they have very little choice with regards to having children as both partners need to work to meet their commitments. Our home prices have doubled in less than tens years with rents following suit and with mortgage rates at 9% now there is little hope of many being able to afford children.
From this we have found that many of our young people have changed their priorities to spending their money on themselves by having the best of the best when buying a home. So much so that they need to have large homes with all the mod cons to out do the Jones' as if it were a competition.
When I was a contract builder the average family home was 10 squares, now they average at 22 squares. To top it off our cost of living has risen 40% over the past three years which puts further strain on their funds.
I feel sorry for those who genuinely want children but cannot afford them and also for those who have made the choice not to, simply because my children are my life.
Without doubt, had we not had children we would much better off financially now and possibly just as happy but we wouldn't be a family.
What I have also noticed is that very few marry now, they just become partners. I must be old fashioned because I feel that that piece of paper is a very important document to have.

What I have also noticed is that very few marry now, they just become partners. I must be old fashioned because I feel that that piece of paper is a very important document to have.
I don't think you are old fashioned, and I agree.

:)Barbara

I wouldn't trade my kids for anything in the world, but I don't think I have ever stopped to ask someone else why they didn't have kids. I figure if they don't want em they don't want em, or if they can't have them I would be bringing up a touchy subject.
Whatever their reason, I never felt the need to push my beliefs on them.

And I agree on the piece of paper.

I used to think the piece of paper was really important but now I've mellowed. I just think it's important when you decide to have children together.

OK, this could make me seem like some sort of paranoid shut in or just a grouchy old man with a horrible pessimistic outlook, but it's my honest answer to the question.

Let me start by saying that I love kids. I have two god-children now and have been named honorary uncle by many friends who have kids. I'm told I'm great with them. I know I get along really well with them.

That said, I just don't really feel like it's a very good world that today's kids get to inherit. There are many factors including pollution, exhaustion of resources (fuel, food, wood, clean air, drinking water, even the metals we build with are showing signs of running out), the erosion of our civil liberties and more. I think all of these trends will continue on a world wide basis until it is far too late to do anything about it.

OK, now I've written a complete downer of a post for a nice cheery thread. My apologies, and I hope you don't all think of me as a nutcase from here on in.

Russ

Thats nothing Russell, I once heard a lady (standing out front of her little mansion in Evanston near the shore) say, "The problem with the world today is only stupid and inferior people are breading...".

OK, this could make me seem like some sort of paranoid shut in or just a grouchy old man with a horrible pessimistic outlook, but it's my honest answer to the question.

Let me start by saying that I love kids. I have two god-children now and have been named honorary uncle by many friends who have kids. I'm told I'm great with them. I know I get along really well with them.

That said, I just don't really feel like it's a very good world that today's kids get to inherit. There are many factors including pollution, exhaustion of resources (fuel, food, wood, clean air, drinking water, even the metals we build with are showing signs of running out), the erosion of our civil liberties and more. I think all of these trends will continue on a world wide basis until it is far too late to do anything about it.

OK, now I've written a complete downer of a post for a nice cheery thread. My apologies, and I hope you don't all think of me as a nutcase from here on in.

Russ
I don't think you're a nutcase at all, Russ. You sound like someone who has given serious thought to this issue and Bravo to you for that!!! That's all stuff our kids will be dealing with and it's real. People don't have to become parents to still have a positive impact on the next generation and it sounds like you're doing that, too! (Are you single?:))

Russ

Aw, come on. There's a lot of good right alongside the bad. Think of all the cool technologies we have. We have way more free time than lots of our ancestors. We have amazing medical technology. I could go on for hours naming the good. We just have to teach our kids to face the bad, stand up to it, or ,make it better and enjoy what's good.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom