Nola.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VeraBlue

Executive Chef
In exactly 8 days Lou and I will be back in New Orleans!!! We have a habit of standing on Bourbon street in front of the Cat's Meow and waving to family and friends not fortunate enough to have traveled with us.

If you go to NOLA.com: Cams Central (you'll see a bunch of cams to click on, click on the Bourboncam) and wait through the silly commercial as someone tries to sell you a car (as if you'd actually buy a car from a webcam commercial dude:ermm:), you'll see Lou and I hanging out on Bourbon street with our beads, feathers and go cup! Alix has already given me her number so I can text her when we are there. I'm hoping either she'll post it here, or I can simply text all of you:huh::huh:!

I have so much to do, packing-wise...and I'm so giddy with excitement that there really has been no living with me, lately.

We've been to New Orleans 4 times already, and the last time was just 4 months after Katrina. I miss it so much I can barely sleep.

Who's been?????

And here I was thinking that I simply have to meet the guy who lists his booze first when he says what he's having for dinner.

A question...do you recommend I watch the parades up St. Charles or closer to Canal? I am thinking up St. Charles....

I've not been to Mardi Gras, but I've been to New Orleans and Baton Rouge. I liked both cities very much. This was pre-Katrina, however. I'm so sad to see the pictures of what's become of parts of the city. Jackson Square was such a beautiful area. Bourbon Street was a bit too unkempt for us (there were some pretty unpleasant aromas), but we're not party animals - at least not anymore. I hope you have a great time.

BC

I figure this is going to be my only opportunity to see New Orleans in the near future. LOL. I'll do my best to remember to post the link thingy.

VeraBlue said:
And here I was thinking that I simply have to meet the guy who lists his booze first when he says what he's having for dinner.

A question...do you recommend I watch the parades up St. Charles or closer to Canal? I am thinking up St. Charles....

You know I have never been a big fan of the parades...It has been years since I saw one...I avoid N.O. during Carnival...If my memory serves me.. the last I saw one I was on or near Bourbon..literally and figuratively:LOL:Besides I was taking in other sites! Honestly I do not know their routes...St. Charles is a beautiful street...or was pre-Katrina..I have not been back post-Katrina..so I can't really answer your question with any assurance...

It's been quite a few years since I've been to N.O., but I love it. Pre-Katrina it was a beautiful city. Rich with sights dizzying to the eyes. Foods too awesome to describe. One of my favorite places to eat was The Court of Two Sisters on Royal Street. Lunch in the courtyard is delightful. Don't know how it fared with Katrina.

Loved to stroll the streets in the evening listening to music and popping in different places for some adult beverage.

Hope you have a wonderful time. I'll enjoy it vicariously through you.

BlueCat said:
I've not been to Mardi Gras, but I've been to New Orleans and Baton Rouge. I liked both cities very much. This was pre-Katrina, however. I'm so sad to see the pictures of what's become of parts of the city. Jackson Square was such a beautiful area. Bourbon Street was a bit too unkempt for us (there were some pretty unpleasant aromas), but we're not party animals - at least not anymore. I hope you have a great time.

BC

Jackson square is still lovely! One afternoon we actually fell asleep on the benches listen to the sounds of the river.

Katie E said:
It's been quite a few years since I've been to N.O., but I love it. Pre-Katrina it was a beautiful city. Rich with sights dizzying to the eyes. Foods too awesome to describe. One of my favorite places to eat was The Court of Two Sisters on Royal Street. Lunch in the courtyard is delightful. Don't know how it fared with Katrina.

Loved to stroll the streets in the evening listening to music and popping in different places for some adult beverage.

Hope you have a wonderful time. I'll enjoy it vicariously through you.

Two Sisters had already reopened the last time we were there, and that was only 4 months after Katrina. Did you kiss anyone in front of the door as tradition mandates??

mudbug said:
Vera, I have that site bookmarked on my computer at work. I'll try to check in at the appropriate time to see you guys.

Thanks...more than likely I'll send a heads up the day before with an approximate time for viewing pleasure!

I'll shoot ya my nuber, you can text me when you're on live!

Sounds like a GREAT time. I have a friend from Bermuda that lives there, on Charles street? All I know is it is the street where you can take the street cars on...great old house.

Have a great time in New Orleans. I've never been there you'll have to give me the play by play when you get back!

I've been. Have some great memories of the trip.

Also seem to be missing a few :angel:

Can't imagine how that could have happened down there.....

John

ronjohn55 said:
I've been. Have some great memories of the trip.

Also seem to be missing a few :angel:

Can't imagine how that could have happened down there.....

John

I do,haahahaha...I lost an entire half of a day down there, once.

As far as the parades go, there are parade routes and krewes listings in the tourist papaers and the newspapers. When we were there in '92 (I know, a LONG time ago) we sat in our hotel and picked the ones we wanted to see and staked out our spot on the route by the map and where we were going next. It was alot of fun. Hope you have a good time.

Lucky You, Vera! Have a cuppa and a Beignet for me!!!

I'm hoping to get down for a weekend next month. Trying to wait for Dooky Chase's reopening... :chef:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom