Not Again!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Addie

Chef Extraordinaire
Just up the street from where I live the Boston Fire Department is fighting an eight alarm fire at New England Casket Company. The smoke is heavy black and they are evacuating neighborhoods in proximity to the fire. First the gas explosions up on the North Shore and now this disaster.

This is not just your average fire. They have always specialized in very expensive woods that burn very slowly and are hard to quench. Teak, sandalwood, mahogany, etc. Imported woods. And there are also large tanks of embalming fluids and other chemicals that are exploding. This company has been there since before I was born. So far no deaths or injuries. This fire started just before three this afternoon. And still going strong. All public transportation has been halted. The trains usually run right under the building. This place is located on Route 1A and Route 1. It runs from Maine to Florida. People are locking their cars and attempting to walk home the rest of the way after putting in a full day at their job.

I presently am waiting for the pharmacy driver to come from Winthrop with my new meds. All traffic is at a HALT! Fortunately I have a small stash of all my meds for "just in case." Today is the JIC.

They just struck the ninth alarm and the Red Cross is setting up cots at the school nearby for the evacuees. The fire is still out of control. One more little goodie. The casket company is located right next door to a gas station.

Last edited:
That fire started around three p.m. Here it is almost ten p.m. and it is still raging. Large tanks of shellac, paint, thinner, etc. are still exploding. Highly toxic smoke is spreading throughout the neighborhoods.

There was a fire sprinkler system in place. But the fire started on the roof above the sprinkler system. And of course, East Boston is at the very end of the water system for Boston. We are surrounded by Chelsea, Winthrop and Revere. Each having their own water supply not provided by Boston.

These are not small flames. They are extremely high. The smoke is so thick and killer toxic. Very dangerous. All I can think of is Paradise, Calif.

Hopefully nobody was hurt. Having said that, a casket company on fire seems like "fuel" for some jokes... although I can't think of one, at the moment.

Again, I hope nobody was hurt, and that this fire doesn't spread to homes/apartments nearby.

CD

Wow! I just did a Google search on that fire. That is no small business, that is a big factory. News reports say that all the employees got out safely. It doesn't look like any surrounding homes or businesses are in danger from the fire, but that there are evacuations due to the smoke, because the factory has a lot of paints and other chemicals that can cause toxic smoke when burned.

Cd

Wow! I just did a Google search on that fire. That is no small business, that is a big factory. News reports say that all the employees got out safely. It doesn't look like any surrounding homes or businesses are in danger from the fire, but that there are evacuations due to the smoke, because the factory has a lot of paints and other chemicals that can cause toxic smoke when burned.
Cd

There were a few "minor" injuries. One firefighter and a few policemen. Smoke inhalation. A couple of elderly folks when being evacuated, also had a minor incident with the smoke. Because the smoke is so thick, heavy and toxic, it didn't rise like most smoke would do. It wanted to fall and cling to the ground.

That casket company supplied the majority of funeral homes in New England. BTW, you could also make arrangements for your family to rent a casket for the showing, and then transfer your body to a carboard box for cremation. I suggested my kids just get a large carton from the supermarket for me.

And you are right. The jokes have already started to fly. "Gee, I hope there were no bodies there waiting to be cremated and then charge the family for the service." "I wonder if they will give a discount for the cremation."

Need I say more? The WHOLE complex is a total loss. As soon as they are sure all the flames are out, they will go in and start to tear down what is left and find a safe way to remove all the chemicals.

When you would drive by or walk, there was a beautiful Colonial front door. Other than the small sign, you would never guess what that place was. It was close to 100 y.o.

Back
Top Bottom