Not so happy start 2009

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lefty7887

Sous Chef
Please keep your fingers crossed for us, its 1 degree out with a twelve mph wind and our furnace died. Have the oven cranked for heat and the repair guy on the way but I am fearing our pipes freezing. Ugh... :furious: we just had it serviced too.

Open your faucets to keep them running slowly so the pipes don't freeze, and open any cupboard doors or vanity doors to allow heat to reach the pipes. Good Luck!

We had similar problem years ago when i first moved into the house ( our first house, first winter ...)

Didnt know much bout ordering oil ( when, how, how often ...), and sure enough , ran out of Oil on a friday afternoon during a huge snow storm. couldnt get a delivery until monday. Spent all weekend with me, my wife, the kids and 4 cats locked up in the smallest room of the house, with an electric heater, and air-blow popcorn maker , and what ever blankets we could find.

Going to the bathroom was a real treat ( that seat was very coooooooold) And breathing outside of this little room you saw the 'smoke' coming from your mouth in every breath ( very strange to see this happen inside your home)

Anyway, we got through it, pipes didnt burst, no one got sick, got our oil, and nver made the same mistake again...

Luckily our boiler has been functioning ok , but i can definitely empathize with how u feel now. Hopefully it is a simple , quick fix...

How far up north in maine are you ??

larry

Oh Lefty,
what a miserable way to start the new year..Prayers for that repairman and for all of you. Please stay safe
kadesma

The cavalry has arrived, drinking too much coffee or cold my teeth are chattering I'm not sure which is the cause. Hopefully he gets it going quick and not at too much $$$$ Thanks for the good thoughts.

Open your faucets to keep them running slowly so the pipes don't freeze, and open any cupboard doors or vanity doors to allow heat to reach the pipes. Good Luck!

Whenever the temperature would get too low, my father would do this--usually on the cold side and he would have a slow drip in all the faucets of the house.

Lefty, I hope this is the worse thing that happens to you all year!

Yeah, happy dance, its fixed and it only cost me $165 and that included the control relay he replaced. Not too bad a price for a holiday. Anyhow, I am off to take a nice hot shower. Thanks again all. :w00t2::clap::punk:

Yeah, happy dance, its fixed and it only cost me $165 and that included the control relay he replaced. Not too bad a price for a holiday. Anyhow, I am off to take a nice hot shower. Thanks again all. :w00t2::clap::punk:

See? You must always do good 'acts of kindness ' in your life to get this kind of gift. I always count my blessings when this happens to me and know I am just getting some sort of kindness returned for something I have done in past. I was taught, you get what you give! I am thankful you are enjoying your shower. What a way to start the year 2009!

I am totally sympathising right now. My heat is out and my landlord isn't responding. I'm tempted to call the repair guy myself at this point. I have the stove and oven going too. My favorite trick is I have a blanket on the toilet seat because I can't stand sitting on a cold toilet. It's not as cold here, only 30, but it's cold to this So Cal bread girl.

I am totally sympathising right now. My heat is out and my landlord isn't responding. I'm tempted to call the repair guy myself at this point. I have the stove and oven going too. My favorite trick is I have a blanket on the toilet seat because I can't stand sitting on a cold toilet. It's not as cold here, only 30, but it's cold to this So Cal bread girl.

Sometimes I wish I was renting, but you just reminded me of the grass is always greener saying. I hope you get that resolved quick. Good luck.

Glad to hear the Heat is on! Several years ago our funace went out about 2 weeks before Christmas. Ended up having to replace the whole thing. We were without heat for about 10 days. Fortunately, the heat pump for the upstairs was working and we have a fireplace. With sweatshirts, fires, and staying upstairs alot, we weathered the cold. Hope you enjoy the rest of the year!

Hi Lefty, sorry I missed this (probably sent in the 4 hours I slept last night). I am so happy for you that you got it fixed quickly and inexpensively. Stay warm today!

Back
Top Bottom