"Nothing Compares To?"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Margi Cintrano

Washing Up
Good Evening,

Pehaps, this is quite a difficult question, however, can you think of something that is more breathtakingly beautiful that you have seen or one of the most delicious meals you have shared with a loved one that you wish to share ?

A few years ago, we had spent a sybaritic month as guests in an Italian Villa on the Adriatic while we were Condo Hunting and studying the Market in a variety of provinces on the Adriatic side ... This was an enchanting experience, not only on the epicurean side of things, however, the memorably beautiful.

Though we have travelled wide and far, the islands of Crete and Santorini are amazing as is Kaui, Hawaii ... and Tulum, Mexico ... Venice enchants, Florence surprises and the USA and Canada certainly have their fair share of stunning majestic mountains and the Sonoma Coast California going north as well as south are awesome ... I also love Mustang wild horse country of Wyoming and the Cape Cod of Massachusetts.

Washington D.C. and its cherry blossoms, is spectacular and the coast of Uruguay and its horses are unforgettable.

Cannot choose just one experience.

Many beautiful places ... and lovely epicurism adventures.

Margi. Cintrano.

Last edited:
Great story Margi, and good topic.

Several years ago, I had just finished a week long catering job of lunch and suppers for a youth conference and was exhausted. DH secretly talked to some friends who have a "cabin" (interchange with word mansion ;)) on one of our Gulf Islands and rented the ground floor suite (the rest of the place is a constant work in progress). It is a quiet and beautiful spot high above the ocean. He told me the night before my last work day that as soon as we were done we would be leaving for the ferry! I was very excited!

We were there for 3 days. DH didn't want me cooking so we were going to eat at the few little restaurants on the island. However he did bring some steaks with us to BBQ. That day our walk along a beach brought us to a family who had just caught several crab and were selling them for next to nothing - we got two beauties and I cooked them while the steaks, potatoes and a mixture of mushrooms and onions were on the grill. Once it was all done we sat in front of the open french doors watching the sun set on the ocean. All of a sudden a young deer came up the steep slope and peeked its head in then took off up the side of the building.

A beautiful meal, view and visitor made it something to remember! :)

Last edited:
One thing came immediately to my mind.

A number of years ago I had to make a doctor's appointment very early in the morning. I live in a very rural area, mostly farming, and our closest medical facilities and doctors are about an hour away.

At any rate, I think it must've been about 6:30 or 7:00 a.m. as I was driving through the countryside on my way to my appointment. The sun was just coming up and the dew was heavy on everything.

As the sun rose and cast its beams at an angle across the fields, the dew shone like millions and millions of diamonds all around me. I was transfixed and captivated by the beautiful sight.

It didn't last very long because the sun rose and the angle of its light no longer brushed the wet vegetation in the huge fields, but it's a sight I'll never forget.

@ LP,

Sounds wonderful. Thanks for sharing ... I can certainly imagine the Gulf Islands too ! I am a Sea Woman ... Miss terribly when I am in Madrid, though a cool Tapas and Art City, it is as dry as a desert and dusty unfortunately.

Kindest.
Margi.

Margi, we were on Maine Island! It and Salt Spring are my favourites of the Gulfs. There are so many art shops and no real "restaurants" as such, but cafes - some serve breakfast and lunch only, some lunch/dinner only. Every time I go the experience is different - food and scenery wise!

Katie H.

Sunrises and sunsets do have quite a wonderful impact ... Thanks for sharing. Are you in Blue Grass Country ?

Have a lovely Sunday.
Margi.

I'm in the far western part of Kentucky, but all of Kentucky is Bluegrass country. Kentucky is known as the Bluegrass state. The grass is green like anywhere else but, in the spring, tiny little buds show a slight purple tone that, in large areas, cause the landscape to have a bluish tint.

Many years ago, we were hiking Kokee State Park on Kauai, and emerged from the jungle to overlook the Grand Canyon of the Pacific. It was magnificent.

Underwater views rank up there too. Hawaii, Bonnaire, Cozumel, all clear water and teeming with life.

Last edited:
There is a turn out and public area, on the Going To The Sun Road in Glacier National Park, that is the most awe-inspiring sight I had ever seen. I had tears in my eyes seeing it. I need to go back and find it again.

For me the most wonderful sight is the world covered in hoar frost on a sunny morning. The best food experience was eating lobster rolls at a picnic table by a dumpy clam shack on the coast of Maine. The second best is cooking breakfast outdoors over an open fire on a chilly summer morning in the Adirondacks.

Last edited:
PrincessFiona60 said:
There is a turn out and public area, on the Going To The Sun Road in Glacier National Park, that is the most awe-inspiring sight I had ever seen. I had tears in my eyes seeing it. I need to go back and find it again.

I took a train trip to the Seattle area following HS graduation to visit some friends. The train went through Glacier National Park, and it was incredible! I had never seen such beautiful waterfalls! (actually, prior to that trip, I had never before seen waterfalls!)

I took a train trip to the Seattle area following HS graduation to visit some friends. The train went through Glacier National Park, and it was incredible! I had never seen such beautiful waterfalls! (actually, prior to that trip, I had never before seen waterfalls!)
Oh, ever since I was little I loved waterfalls. I remember being about 5ish and going under the Niagara Falls! We all wore gumboots and these crazy head to toe yellow rain suits! The there is this little place in the heart of the Okanagan region of BC called Hardy Falls. You have to know where it is and walk in along salmon "ladders" and once you get there all you hear is the water which is very high and loud. It is not pretty, just rocks around it, but I find it so peaceful and go back to it in my mind as part of my pain management. I haven't been for about 15 years but I could describe every inch of it!

There are 2 that stick out for me. One was last summer we were driving home from an event on a summer evening. It was about 10pm and as we drove down this long unlit country road suddenly on both sides of the road it was like diamonds sparkling. There were so many lightning bugs that the glimmer was truly inspiring.

The other was the day my husband opened his eyes and looked at me after a long and serious surgery .. my favorite moment of all time !

For me not being much of a travel bug, seeing my grandchildren being born was awe inspiring. My adventures in learning was introduced to me by my dad, He would make sure to stop at all the markers along the way to our camping cabin in the Sierra's so we could learn about the things we had been told about or read about in books. Things like Kit Carson, the Donner party, I still to this day love those markers and will have dh stop so I can get out and read them. I love seeing snow as it comes floating down especially as the sun starts to set. I love the sounds little birds like hummers make as they breeze by you to get water from the hose you are holding that click click they make as the announce this is my feeder go away to others hummers. Watching the flowers on a cactus we had slowly open it was so quick if you were to wlk to one end of the patio you'd miss it's closing. seeing winter close and spring begin knowing that plants,trees,and all things were shaking off the sleep of winter and awakening to springs nudgings.Ahhh life it's a wonderful thing.
kades

I am a New Englander through and through. We had a Nor'easter coming in. I have always lived within five minutes of the Atlantic Ocean. Like most NE folks, we headed out in the storm down to the water front. We started out near the break wall. As the storm got stronger and stronger, we kept having to back up. The waves were getting bigger and bigger as they crashed over the first wall and then the second that was supposed to protect the homes along the water front. By then we were back in the car and slowly backing up the hill.

There is nothing like the fury of Mother Nature at her worst. It was in the middle of winter. The temp was down around 10ºF. That Nor'easter did so much damage that year. Homes along the water front were damaged beyond repair. Some people lost their lives. To the day I die, I will always see the fury of those waves crashing over the walls. It was high tide and that made the waves even higher than they would be normally during a storm.

When the movie "The Perfect Storm" came out, I could relate to it so easily. First because my second husband had been a commercial fisherman and also because of seeing that storm first hand. It takes your breath away. :)

I love watching the ocean.

When your life is determined by the sea, you HAVE to go to it when there is a storm. I like to blame it on the fact that I am a Pisces. So how do I explain my four kids who also run there during a storm? They were born under entirely different signs. Or my neighbors that I meet there watching with me and my kids. Oddly enough, a thought just came to me. All my relatives who have died have all had their ashes scattered at sea. Including both husbands. Son #1 finally gave his father's ashes to the Coast Guard to take out to sea. Being drawn to the sea is almost like you are under a spell. Hard to explain. :)

I've never lived on or closer than six hours to a beach, but as a child I spent every weekend at a beach. My parents being divorced, mom having visitation on week

When your life is determined by the sea, you HAVE to go to it when there is a storm. I like to blame it on the fact that I am a Pisces. So how do I explain my four kids who also run there during a storm? They were born under entirely different signs. Or my neighbors that I meet there watching with me and my kids. Oddly enough, a thought just came to me. All my relatives who have died have all had their ashes scattered at sea. Including both husbands. Son #1 finally gave his father's ashes to the Coast Guard to take out to sea. Being drawn to the sea is almost like you are under a spell. Hard to explain. :)

Kinda like me standing around and watching the mountains change during the day. Love watching the change of light and weather around them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom