Off to College I Go!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SizzlininIN

Master Chef
Well I'm getting ready to head to a Community College I'd attended years back. I have to take a math placement test as its been 12 years since I had a math class there and the timeframe is up. I've decided to go back and get my Associates Degree in Nursing to become an RN. I've been an LPN since 1994. I've attempted to return 3 times in the past but tragedy occured with each attempt.....a miscarriage, took care of my mother (terminal illness) and then my father had a stroke and I had to care for him. I'm a bit worried as my luck so far hasn't been well but I'm going to think positively from this moment on and I will get through it all with no problems. If all works out I should be done and have my degree the Summer of 2008.
I'm limited on what jobs I can do as an LPN and I'm tierd of seeing interesting jobs I'd like to apply for but can't because I don't have my RN. I'm still not sure what specialty I want to work in for sure. I figure I'll sort that out with my exposure during clinicals to different settings. I'm thinking of Hospice Nurse, Surgery, Cancer Center, Dialysis, ER or some other area in the hospital. I'm thinking of traveling to Indianapolis to work at Rileys Childrens Hospital. But like I said I'm not sure yet. So far I've worked in Doctors Offices and Nursing Homes and I just feel like there is so much more I'm suppose to be doing.
After taking care of mom during her terminal illness and then dad with his stroke 10 months later I took a long break away from nursing and wasn't sure I'd return. I think I just needed to heal my heart and I knew that I couldn't deal with any further sickness or death is why I walked away for awhile (10 months). But one day I woke up and just felt the need to go back to work and so I made the call and was hired that day. Then a week passed and I decided it was time to go back to school. Who knows maybe mom and dad are giving me the inspiration:) .

Aww, that's great that you decided to go back!! Just think of the ones like you that need a caring person there for their loved ones. You can do it this time, Sizz. Do it for yourself, but, do it for your parents too. Your smart gal and you have so much to give!! Good luck!!!

I'm very proud of yoU!
It takes guts and courage and hard work to go back.
I think it's great! Congrats!!!!

Thanks! I'm excited.....and honestly a bit nervous too. Going back at 40 is a lot different then when I was in my 20's. But I can't wait......just wish I could jump right into the program and not have to deal with all these pre-requisite classes.

Goodluck with your education. Becoming an RN is not easy. I too am on that adventure. I am not an LPN though. I failed one class semester one of second year so I have to retake it this semester. It is fun though all the skills you can do as an RN.

:)

Good for you, sizz! What a wonderful adventure! Best of luck and be sure to keep us posted on how you're doing. I'm sure you'll do great!!!:)

Sizz

Getting hired same day, boy that should be encouraging. Should give you incentive to show 'em you can do it! I wish you the best and know that you will be in a place where you are supposed to be. You did great by taking care of your parents and I am sure they are around somewhere helping wherever they can. That is how I feel about the people i love who are gone and there are many. Let us know how you are doing. Oh, Good Luck.

Best of luck in your new endeavor, Sizz. They are screaming for more nursing help out there. Get through with your studies, and I bet you will be able to name your price!

Good for you! You go girl, and I know you will. I know what you mean about pre-reqs - I had two more left when we moved (I was going for dental hygiene). From what I remember, the pre-reqs for both RN and Dental Hygience were the same. Time to start studying!:)

Best of luck to you Sizz! I'm sure you'll be much happier being an RN and you'll have so many more job opportunities! My mom has been an RN in the ER for over 25 years. I think it's a rough job but very rewarding! And I have an aunt who is an RN in Labor & Delivery. Keep us posted!

Way to go Sizz,
the nursing world has just gained a winner..I'm already thinking of all the people who will benefit just from meeting you.Good luck and keep in touch..
kadesma:)

Thanks again everyone! I went yesterday and took that math placement test. I think I did ok on the general math but then she asked if I wanted to take the algebra placement test and I said sure but give me the easiest one (Elementary Algebra). :LOL: it was looking at foreign material. I just had to guess on 95% of them. I didn't do well with algebra back in high school. I took it many years ago for a summer class in college and had a wonderful teacher and it all clicked and I ended up getting an A in that class. However, that was like probably 13 to 14 years ago so none of it stuck. I'll find out my results tomorrow though. Fingers crossed......I already booked me into Basic Algebra so I hope I don't have to take anything lower than that. Oh well once I get back into the math class it'll all start coming back I'm sure.

Back
Top Bottom